Wright fight getting ugly!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flycatcher99 said:
I'm just curious about something. If you think SWA's corporate leaders are eventually going to abandon the employee's culture and treat them all like garbage, why have they bothered with the whole "take care of our employees" culture in the first place?? Wouldn't it be a whole lot simpler, not to mention more profitable, to treat employees with the same impersonal nature and lack of fair compensation that we've experienced at other airlines?

You are absolutely correct that they are concerned mainly about the bottom line; after all, this isn't a pro bono travel service that SWA is offering, nor is it a charitible welfare organization meant to provide improved lives for those working for SWA. But these leaders have the complete realization that in order to have the best possible bottom line, it is most advantageous to ensure their employees dedication by taking complete care of their people. They did this by paying good wages, offering great benefits, and taking care of their employees when personal circumstances get tough. I assure you that this fosters a devoted employee, one who enjoys his/her job, one who is highly likely to provide a level of service that is noticeable to customers and pays off for the company in the end.

And it would be hard, given the numbers, to argue that they're wrong.

Here is where I'm coming from: SWA is a cool company but I think things are changing. It is going to be hard to keep it fresh and keep it feeling original. What bristles against me is the employee characterization of things like the WA. It is obvious SWA conjours certain perspectives in its employees minds (brainwash).

I would like to point out that I hope SWA doesn't change. I hope everyone there can continue to have a great lifestyle and great career. What I do not like is the all the " high fiving" and "fist bumping" over all the pain being felt by legacy airline employees (yes, SWA employees, you are doing it). SWA probably has its toughest time coming up in the future. Legacy airlines have really got the costs down. SWA fuel costs will be changing tremendously in the near future. The day we mark SWA's first financial loss at least 50% of what makes the SWA brand great will be gone. Changed forever. You see, legacy airlines can take a loss and it won't shock anyone (abundantly clear). SWA stock won't. The instant SWA takes a loss Wall Street will immediately zero in on the fact that 47% of expenditures go to salaries, and then it will start (decline). It is an unpleasantry that I would wish on no one. It is ruthless and I know all about it. SWA employees might better themselves by toning down the fanfare they have for every other airline employees demise. At the same time gird themselves against a possible change in their own situation.

I would like to point out that I hope SWA doesn't change. I hope everyone there can continue to have a great lifestyle and great career. What I do not like is the all the " high fiving" and "fist bumping" over all the pain being felt by legacy airline employees (yes, SWA employees, you are doing it). SWA probably has its toughest time coming up in the future. Legacy airlines have really got the costs down. SWA fuel costs will be changing tremendously in the near future. The day we mark SWA's first financial loss at least 50% of what makes the SWA brand great will be gone. Changed forever. You see, legacy airlines can take a loss and it won't shock anyone (abundantly clear). SWA stock won't. The instant SWA takes a loss Wall Street will immediately zero in on the fact that 47% of expenditures go to salaries, and then it will start (decline). It is an unpleasantry that I would wish on no one. It is ruthless and I know all about it. SWA employees might better themselves by toning down the fanfare they have for every other airline employees demise. At the same time gird themselves against a possible change in their own situation.[/QUOTE]

Gimme a friggin break.
By the time legacy carriers get their costs down to a level that they can compete in the market with, it will be too late. We are continuing to grow and scoop up market share while the legacies are shrinking.

This is a game of attrition, and the legacies are losing quickly. They will all be out of business within a few years, leaving Southwest with 75% of the domestic market.

J3CubCapt said:
Who cares about the past and what "Wright" meant to do. The fact is that SWA is a profitable airline that has not lost billions in recent years. SWA is strong and this is an outdated, anti-competitive law. I will do my part to get rid of it.

J3

Amen! (count me in - remove this lousy law!)

Flopgut said:
It is obvious SWA conjours certain perspectives in its employees minds (brainwash).

What I do not like is the all the " high fiving" and "fist bumping" over all the pain being felt by legacy airline employees (yes, SWA employees, you are doing it).

Buckaroo said:
Gimme a friggin break.

By the time legacy carriers get their costs down to a level that they can compete in the market with, it will be too late. We are continuing to grow and scoop up market share while the legacies are shrinking.

This is a game of attrition, and the legacies are losing quickly. They will all be out of business within a few years, leaving Southwest with 75% of the domestic market.

Nice job making his point for him.

Flopgut said:
What bristles against me is the employee characterization of things like the WA. It is obvious SWA conjours certain perspectives in its employees minds (brainwash).

And AA does not? Sorry man, the Dark Side is alive and well. Enjoy your Death Star.

bozt45 said:
Nice job making his point for him.

Buckaroo does not work for SWA.

TexaSWA said:
Buckaroo does not work for SWA.

Pretty much all the SWA folks I know are good people. There should be a flightinfo.com rule against impersonating someone from another airline and posting inflamatory statements. This is not against Buckaroo, but there are others here that many suspect are doing this kind of thing and it is counter-productive to discussion. Like the rule against posting someones personal information or scab lists.

BTW, to clarify my post, I was not, IN ANY WAY, insinuating anything against SWA, its management, culture, or work groups. I was pointing out to that poster that, if you respond to those types of statements in that way, it plays into their hands. Don't take the bait.

Last edited:
"Secondly, I think your airline wants to add to the list of things that are causing decline in leagcy airline business without getting their hands dirty."

Southwest doesn't have to try and cause the decline of the legacy carriers. The Management of the legacy carriers are doing that just fine on their own.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back