Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P

psysix

So, Independence Air is going out of business today, most of the big airlines are in bankruptcy or close to it and thousands of airline pilots have been furloughed, but the job market for pilots hasn't looked this good in five years. Kit Darby, who runs Air, Inc., a publishing company that tracks pilot employment, says more than 10,000 jobs will open up this year. He said experienced pilots looking for work can probably find it but a few of them might need an attitude adjustment. "Whatever it is, you just have to get over it," said Darby. "Then you've got to get yourself up and get back to the marketplace. There are a lot of quality jobs out there." Darby said there are a lot of unemployed pilots who have a hard time taking a pay cut, a smaller airplane or a demotion but he urges them to look at the larger picture. Just about any steady flying job is going to pay more and be more satisfying (to a pilot) than just about any other type of career. He said he's had numerous clients that have left the industry in disgust, become successful at something else and then come back begging for a flying job. "It's a lifestyle. It's not just a job," he said.

Does it explain that these aren't new airlines jobs, but rather the old $200,000 jobs recycled that now pay $40,000?

The majors don't pay 40K; they still pay fantastic wages, only on a pilot board would $150K/yr be looked at as a poverty wage. It is still a great career for those who elect to pursue a career flying airplanes.

I don't know what pilots are complaining about.

first year fo is about 19 bucks per hour x 40 hours per week x 52 weeks in a year is almost 40 grand

and a 80 dollar per hour captain is about 160 grand per year.

ya see! pilotyip is dead on the money, it still is a fantastic career.

;)

40hrs a week huh? And who gets paid for 40hrs a week? Dream on buddy! Total max for prop guys under 135.256 is legally held to 34 in 7, and jet guys 30 in 7.

Wow, could you give us a list of those jobs, omniscient one? :) The race to the bottom has been on for years, perhaps you missed the newsflash. Good paying jobs that truly compensate pilots for the massive sacrifices they make are becoming extinct quicker than the spotted owl.

BTW- heard on a CBS news break last week that "airline pilots are in great demand these days as regional airlines expand their ranks. Pilots can earn wages UP TO 165,000 AT CERTAIN AIRLINES." I almost fell out my chair laughing my ass off! What a joke...

pilotyip said:
The majors don't pay 40K; they still pay fantastic wages, only on a pilot board would $150K/yr be looked at as a poverty wage. It is still a great career for those who elect to pursue a career flying airplanes.

CAL pays about $28K for your first year you jackass..

dude...

BOOYA said:
I don't know what pilots are complaining about.

first year fo is about 19 bucks per hour x 40 hours per week x 52 weeks in a year is almost 40 grand

and a 80 dollar per hour captain is about 160 grand per year.

ya see! pilotyip is dead on the money, it still is a fantastic career.

;)

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back