• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I spent yesterday trying to complete 10 hours of errands in 5 hours.
After filing a complaint with my wife. She explained, every day, 5 days a week, 351 days per year is like that for her.
For me, flying airplanes for a living isn't so bad.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

Getting my ratings is one thing that I do not regret, and never will. I love flying, so I can't regret that. However, I don't know if I really understood the nature of the "regional" job--namely just how much time I would be gone. I enjoy the flying a great deal, and quite frankly it's the best job I've had so far, but all those 4-day trips begin to take their toll.

But then again, I don't know if I would have bothered to get my ratings if I wasn't planning on a regional job. I think the one thing that I would have done differently would be to finish a degree in something other than aviation--something I will soon remedy, but it would have been nice to have done it already.

In summary, I'll always be glad I got the ratings, but the shine has definitely come off the airline career.

-Goose

I've been flying pro for about 2 years now and I'm still not really sure if I'm at that state where being a pilot is paying me vs me paying to be a pilot. I'm hopping that very soon I'll be able to afford something more than ramen. Stay away, is what I say.

I've been flying pro for about 2 years now and I'm still not really sure if I'm at that state where being a pilot is paying me vs me paying to be a pilot. I'm hopping that very soon I'll be able to afford something more than ramen. Stay away, is what I say.

2 years? C'mon you've gotta do better than that. Most pilots flight instruct for more than 2 years making less than $15K/yr.
Most major airline captains over the age of 40 had to work for close to 10 years before they could even get hired by a regional airline. Back in the early 90's the hiring mins for American Eagle were 9000+ hrs TT.

Realistically it won't start paying you back for 5-7 years minimum.

Latest resources

Back