• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm just surprised that my friend said you wouldn't believe some of the people that made it to the airline he's at. Was it rele that easy to make it thru training a year ago? Apparantly some our so bad that they don't want to give them bad probationary reports but they have to just due to safety alone. Is this common?

Well, most airlines did not lower their training standards just the qualifications to start training. Yes, your friend is right there was a lot of 300 hour wonder kids that squeaked through. Some end up getting weeded out while others may end up doing really well. The only advantage to down swings in the industry is it has a tendency to weed out the guys that dont want to flight instruct or fly cargo in order to pay their dues. To get through tough times like now, you have to really want it and be able to offer something the next guy can not (a degree, higher hours, higher ratings ect...). I love when people get on these forums and are convinced they want to be airline pilots but the next words out of their mouths are along the lines of " but I dont want to get a four year degree" or "I will just buy my time through a crj course so I dont have to flight instruct." Airlines like to see well rounded individuals not guys looking to cut as many corners as possible.

Last edited:
That's a big roll of the dice. To put it more accurately: The regionals MIGHT be a $100k/yr job (If you're airlines doesn't go under, if you don't get furloughed, if your pilot group doesn't take pay cust, if...if...if...)

I am sure some here are on their 3rd regional airline, having to follow the jobs around as the majors play musical airlines with their contracts.

One friend of mine made Capt at Skyway on the Beech, then the 328Jet, then was out of a job. Got hired at Air Tran, then out of a job just as finishing IOE, and then to a new hire class at Mesaba.

Staying at regionals and getting 100,000 would be more reasonable, except the way those contracts keep getting handed off from one to another, and then sometimes the major they are contracted to either goes under or goes bankrupt.

Back in 2001, I would have loved to have gotten hired at AWAC and been Denver based. Of course all that is history now, but that would not have been a bad way to spend a career, based on the pay and work rules they had at that time, along with been in Denver.

None of that ended up happening for me, but I ended up finding a niche for me in Weather Mod flying and aerial firefighting, so I was able to have a house in a nice place, turn my alarm clock off all winter, and then I get to fly VFR over forest fires and beautiful terrain all summer. Sure, I dont make major airline pay, but I have a life, and its not too bad really

Well, most airlines did not lower their training standards just the qualifications to start training. Yes, your friend is right there was a lot of 300 hour wonder kids that squeaked through. Some end up getting weeded out while others may end up doing really well. The only advantage to down swings in the industry is it has a tendency to weed out the guys that dont want to flight instruct or fly cargo in order to pay their dues. To get through tough times like now, you have to really want it and be able to offer something the next guy can not (a degree, higher hours, higher ratings ect...). I love when people get on these forums and are convinced they want to be airline pilots but the next words out of their mouths are along the lines of " but I dont want to get a four year degree" or "I will just buy my time through a crj course so I dont have to flight instruct." Airlines like to see well rounded individuals not guys looking to cut as many corners as possible.

Jeez I cant even find a CFI job right now isnt that easy. I see your point my plan is graduate and instruct until I get the call.

Mind-numbingly easy sometimes. I tend to look at getting paid to fly for an airline is like being compensated for being bored. That's work, not a hobby.

-Goose

I agree. I tell people that I fly for free, but the company pays me to wait around on the boss.

Latest resources

Back