Would you.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OUPilot01

Seeing the continual degradation of the airline career including pay, benefits and prestige. Along with main line flying becoming increasing out sourced to the lowest bidder. Would you still have invested all the time and money into aviation, if the salary of a regional captain was the most you would ever make as a pilot. Hypothetically speaking if there was no majors (SWA, FEDEX, Delta....ect) and the highest paid pilots made $60-70 bucks and hour.

I have always wondered how many would still fly as a career if the most you would top out at is regional captain pay. .

I would not.

Given the technical demands and skills required, level of responsilbility, time/resources required to get to that level of aviation, and the sacrifices required in terms of time away from home/demands of family life/erratic schedule, the airline career, whether at a major or regional airline, is well deserving of premium pay.

I've taken a long-term leave of absence from my job at a major primarily due to the uneven trade off between pay/time away from home.

booo hoooo

you guys got trained for a career that has stunk since........ I'm going to say the 1980s. So if its a revelation that pilots work lots of hours for not much pay you are an idiot.

I enjoyed my training but figured out around the age of 21 that it wasn't going to be much of a job.

Sigh.... At least I have high speed internet and two giant monitors at my desk. And I have enough $$ to fly around for fun.

I have to agree with you. In just the past ten years I have been doing this there has been a drastically different shift in how long you are at a regional. Flight schools need to be telling prospective students the reality of the career. It astounds me how many people just starting off in this career keep pointing to the majors as what they expect to be making after a "couple" years at a regional. Sadly based off the current trend of the industry you may very well spend close to half your career at a regional. Going to the majors is like playing musical chairs every year there is more and more participants while someone keeps taking away the chairs.

Flight schools are still telling the lie of the "Vietnam era" mass exodus of pilots and basically lying to fill the training class. I tell prospective students to stay away. This industry is dead, 50-100K AYFC??

booo hoooo

you guys got trained for a career that has stunk since........ I'm going to say the 1980s. So if its a revelation that pilots work lots of hours for not much pay you are an idiot.

I enjoyed my training but figured out around the age of 21 that it wasn't going to be much of a job.

Sigh.... At least I have high speed internet and two giant monitors at my desk. And I have enough $$ to fly around for fun.

Whoopty dooo... Good for you.

Go back to your Flight Sim game and leave the career talk to the guys who are doing it. This here is man talk... No place for you in it.

But seriously, if you get off by jumping on FI and patting yourself on the back for making a "shrewd" career decision at 21, good for you. There is nothing here but bad luck and poor timing. If all of your buddies were knocking down 6 figures at FedEx than your prospective might be different. Or maybe not. Either way, you really have no place in this thread since you pussed out and never gave the career a real shot.

Now get back to those two killer computer screens doing whatever the hell it is you do.

Yeah, 4 more years and there will be an exodus.

Hang on!

Completely agree. We saw exactly what was starting to happen before the FAA dropped the age 65 bomb and gas prices skyrocketed. The regionals had dropped minimums to the bare minimums and still couldn't get enough people. 4 more years and it will start all over again.

As far as doing it all over again I absolutely would. No doubt about it. The regionals is a 100k/yr job after 10 years. If you can't live comfortably on that, better start working on your basketball, acting, or rap skills.......

Latest resources

Back