• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

would you take this offer?

• yes get the type and get the job

Votes: 139 48.8%
  • nope this is too close to the PFT devil

Votes: 146 51.2%

• Total voters
well I signed a contract as a falcon F/O and less then 4 years later-not only did I get typed in the falcon as captain after 4 months as falcon f/o but now I'm a DC-9 captain!!! Perhaps on demand freight is not your thing-but for me having a flying job is my thing. Also remember, when FEDEX was new those guys had to buy there falcon type rating!!! Those who did and stuck out the "future" of FEDEX retired as DC-10 captains!!! making great $$$ those who were too cheat or stupid to say "hell no" I'm not buying my rating are ?????/ Same deal with Southwest. FOr me I was lucky and won the type rating in a drawing at a job fair-but I'd still buy the the rating to get on with SWA--- you choose- sometimes life is throwing the dice-but you get nothing if you don't throw the dice at all... !!!!!

flyboytop1 said:
well I signed a contract as a falcon F/O and less then 4 years later-not only did I get typed in the falcon as captain after 4 months as falcon f/o but now I'm a DC-9 captain!!!

Sounds like you stuck around there about 3 years and 8 months too long :rolleyes: .

Seriously, if that is your thing, great, but living on a 20 minute call-out would be my own personal nightmare.

Pager tethered

Ty Webb said:
[L]iving on a 20 minute call-out would be my own personal nightmare.
Seconded, no matter how much it pays, and particularly if you are a family man/woman.

I could see it being fun for a time as a young person and/or being new to aviation, but it's stressful sitting around, waiting for the pager to go off. I know; we had a similar arrangement in the newsroom. Our newspeople rotated weekends taking home the pager. It was a total weekend-killer.

But the question is....

Do you need a college degree??

Gulfstream 200 said:
But the question is....

Do you need a college degree??
PLEASE! Let the dead horse die, I beg you!!!

We do it to ourselves

Dudes,
Having a military background may give me a different view on things...of course, I am now furloughed so I do feel the pain.

I would NOT pay for the training in hopes of getting paid back. If I felt a certain type would help me out, I'd find a way to pay for it. Similar to all of those people going to technical college to learn to use computers...or the truck drivers learning to drive the big rig. Hells bells, want to be an attorney? Pay to go to law school.

Too many pilots think flying is all they can do. When the flying jobs dry up, these pilots will do anything to fly, including flying for practically nothing. This attitude really screws up the profession.

I could go on, but have lost my inspiration.

No, I would NOT front the cash for a type rating, but I would be more than happy to sign an employment contract that says that I'll stay here for 2 years, 1 year, whatever. I can see the point in that. But why should I put up $30K or so of MY money? They can put it up, and if I leave, I owe them money. That's fair.

holy crap...who dug up this dinosaur???

Latest resources

Back