would you take this offer?

• yes get the type and get the job

Votes: 139 48.8%
  • nope this is too close to the PFT devil

Votes: 146 51.2%

• Total voters

WMUSIGPI

The $100,000,000 Question
ok here is the hypothetical scenario. Corporate flight department with a good reputation offers you a job as an F/O on a large jet (GV, Citation X, Falcon 900 ect.) The catch is you have to pay for your inital (or first recurrent) training/type rating. You sign a contract that after 2 (time frame negotiable if you want to make comments) years the company repays you the costs of this training as a way to keep people from taking the job and type and jumping ship in a few months.

I had it said to me once...that for an employer (especially a reputable one) who wants to enter into a long term "relationship" with a new employee, what sort of message is it saying that right out of the gate..."I DON'T TRUST YOU PAY FOR YOUR TRAINING" or "SIGN THIS CONTRACT". If the employer did a proper job in interviewing and background checks and references then this shouldn't be necessary in the first place. If they have gotten burned in the past by people who come get a rating and leave...what does that say about the employer. Why the high turn-over? Just my $.02!

I second Corp DA20 guy.
Unfortunatly tho, there is no line between reputable and unreputable. It is a sliding scale and companies practices differ from each other. A type for anything big like you are talking about is quite a chunk of coin. If the company can afford this A/C they can afford the operating costs associated with it. I would think the company should get a new CP if he/she decides to run the dept this way. Even though mutual trust is something that is built (not overnite), a thorough interview and background checks with give an employer a pretty good idea of weather said employee will jump ship or not. That is where loyalty to your present company will pay off. With excellent letters of recommendation from previous employers then there should be no reason to think that you would run out on this job.

My .02
Cappy

Come on, if it was a reputable flight department they wouldn't ask you pay for your own training. I don't have the numbers but doesn't the initial on a heavy jet cost around 30-40k? Are they going to pay you a lump sum after two years, or pay you back in installments? I’d have no problem with signing a contract, but the company better pay for the training. Anyways, if they want to reduce training costs can’t they just find someone who is already typed in the thing?

PS
I'm a contract pilot and the companies I fly for pay for my training and they know I'll never burn them.

If the employer did a proper job in interviewing and background checks and references then this shouldn't be necessary in the first place

EXACTLY..... It is very unprofessional not to mention completely ridiculous to ask a "potential" employee to pay thousands to get trained with money out of there pocket. IF the company has enough faith in you to offer you the job then by all means they should be the one that is willing to pay for the training- no and's, if's, or but's about it. "well the employer just wants to make sure that he will be around and not jump ship" - absolute and complete BS in the first degree and pretty much a complete cop out by those using that point to attempt to justify this. IF the company does it's homework during the interview and leaves no rock unturned then they wouldn't offer someone a job who is going to pick up and leave after a short period of time.

Please name me one fortune 50 company that does this, or even a smaller respectable flight department that does this.?? I know of zero meaning "none" that makes the employee pay for the training.

I would NOT pay a single dime for this job, it is nothing more than a slap in your face if you opt to do this....

3 5 0

by the way (food for thought) money is not an object for most of these corporate flight departments so even if someone does up and go after a short time I highly doubt this will hurt the company financially.

That would be like the Simon company (IND) asking for the pilots to pay for their initial GV training- come on....

Again this is a hypothetical situation. I don't know anyone offering something like this right now.

Ok would anyone's opinion change if this were a small company operating a small citation or BE-350 that simply couldn't afford to be burned by a couple guys taking new types and walking on the company. So they set something like this up to keep from putting the flight department out of business?

Latest resources

Back