• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not the AP that is the issue, I have flown a few ships with deferred AP (and somehow, I always manage to get "assigned" that leg). It's the deferred FD that would be more concerning because I'm not sure that's exactly legal when being dispatched to an airport that is under heavy IFR.

Just not in the mood for a round trip like that. Legal? Yes. Gonna do it? No.

Last leg, coming back to ATL?? Yep.

No I would not take it based on the info you have presented. Lets say you get there and have a gear problem/no flap or some other high workload situation. not to mention weather conditions, etc. Now with that being said this is all circumstancial and there may be some cuicumstnaces or information not available here that could be a factor in the decision making process. Its really case dependent. No two flights are the same. In all honestly I dont think you would get any flack from the company for denying this one. Just tell them based on your appraisal of the situation that you do not agree with the release and there for cant accept it. The problem at ASA lies with the captains who dont have the balls to tell the company no.

Ditto. Well said.:beer:

Need more info. Is this leg 16 on Day 4 and you are worn out from the previous 3-4 days of flying? Have you been flying it already today, and are now getting pushed to your limits with the increased workload?

Winds 10, gusting to 15....won't that trigger the Wind Shear Advisories in ATL? If so, then you probably can't dispatch to begin with.

So which way did it go down? You took the plane when you thought you shouldn't, or you denied the plane and thought you should have gone?

You're capt of CRJ200. Weather at destination is showing 200 ft ceilings and 1 1/2 mile vis. X-wind of 10 knts gusting to 15. Autopilot and flight director deferred. 380 nm flight. ILS fully operational on all runways. Would you take the airplane?

1-Can the flight be completed within the limitations of your company MEL? The master MEL would not limit this flight in this weather. Many 121 operators take into consideration the lack of crew experience and have much more conservative limitations in their MELS for a deferred FD
2-Of course no RVSM, RNAV departures or arrivals. That is usually much more limiting for dispatch than the weather. Prior to RVSM regs flight all the way up to and level at F410 was allowed with no AP or FD. A long leg in a CRJ was a pain in the ass, but done regularly.
3-Is the CA a baby CA? For the 200 foot ceiling dispatch might swap CA's for someone who is off high mins

The point is use your company manuals and answer this question - can the flight be completed within the manual limitations? If it can - take it. Don't let your 'judgment' get in the way of a sound decision. If you are afraid of the flight then you might think about removing yourself from it. Some old school CA's that flew 6,7 and 8 leg days for years on end in AC with no AP installed might make that decision for you.

CRM is good to a point. However it does assume you have a broadly experienced aviator sitting next to you. When you don't it can work against safety. One pilot has seen the situation a hundred times before and knows exactly what to do. The pilot sitting next to him has no clue and is afraid. At that point CRM can result in distractions and compromises that degrade safety quickly. Particularly if it is a high work load and time critical situation.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're looking for justification for a decision already made. Man up. Either go or don't, decision made, move on. Don't come here looking for second opinions.

Like others have said, it depends on some more factors. Is this a high workload airport like LGA or ORD, or is it DHN? Are there any unusual NOTAMS that could affect the decision? Also what is the experience level of the FO and what are his or her skills like?

not having said crj200's company MEL so I assume it is legal to fly with both the AP and FD MELd. Also assuming the crew is rested, not new ect....

Given that, always leave yourself a way out. In this case your way out is your alternate which will have at worse 600 and 2 (or 800 and 2 depending on the app). If you can't get it on the ground with 600 and 2 with winds then you need to find another line of work.

I do like the suggestion of swapping the a/c sending the mel'd AP/FD jet to a VFR airport and taking a AP/FD working jet to the WX airport if it possible.

All in all I don't see what the big deal is. As long as it is legal and no other issues compounding the problem (duty time, crew exp., ect.). Some of us around here flew 135 day/night in all wx with no AP/FD and had no problems.

Depends on who my FO is....seriously.

Latest resources

Back