• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would be inclined to take the airplane. However, I will also say that I would be looking at the FO as well. Are they fresh off furlough with little experience, or are they seasoned? The Autopilot is a work load reducer- what happens if the stuff really hits the fan? The question then becomes, can you hand fly the airplane, manage the checklist, and work with the weather as a team? If the answer is yes, because you can depend on the guy next to you, then go.

Hand flying an airplane isn't an issue for me. How many people gripe about wanting to hand fly the RNAV out of Atlanta? What's the difference? Just one that is voluntary and that one is not. Quite honestly, I don't see a deferred auto pilot being a safety of flight concern- it's the workload associated with it that would be.

Last edited:
No I would not take it based on the info you have presented. Lets say you get there and have a gear problem/no flap or some other high workload situation. not to mention weather conditions, etc. Now with that being said this is all circumstancial and there may be some cuicumstnaces or information not available here that could be a factor in the decision making process. Its really case dependent. No two flights are the same. In all honestly I dont think you would get any flack from the company for denying this one. Just tell them based on your appraisal of the situation that you do not agree with the release and there for cant accept it. The problem at ASA lies with the captains who dont have the balls to tell the company no.

The only issue is the AP, there is no other issue at all. People run for the hills when the AP is inop. Here's an idea instead of monitoring the TV screens, you will actually be flying, you still have the other pilot to back you up in an emergency. Do your job.

Swpt back that is totally uncalled for. You are the type that doesnt embrace good crm and the crew concept. If the FO doesnt feel comfortable with cause then I dont feel comfortable. We have some FANTASTIC copilots at this company. I dont think not being comfortable with accepting an airplane with this condition is "second guessing" his captain. I actually think due to the fact that he is bringing it up and thinking enough outside the box to think it may be an issue, speaks volumes for his ability and decision making process whether he is an FO or captain

You're capt of CRJ200. Weather at destination is showing 200 ft ceilings and 1 1/2 mile vis. X-wind of 10 knts gusting to 15. Autopilot and flight director deferred. 380 nm flight. ILS fully operational on all runways. Would you take the airplane?

Heck yeah if everything was legal. Autopilot schmautopilot.

You could you see if there was a spare available before you launched.

Last edited:
Autopilot defered is cool.

Flight director defered is a no go for anything over 200 nm.

Why? OMG that little thing on the screen that tells me where to go is GONE! EJECT EJECT EJECT! I CAN't Reach the handle... I can't reach the HANDLE! I Can't reach the handle. GET CONTROL GET CONTROLLLL

I would take the flight. There is nothing that is really dangerous about it. Not having an autopilot is a pain, but it is not too long of a flight. If the weather at the destination gets worse, you can go to the alt. Shooting that approach without an autopilot should be pretty standard. If you cannot make it in on the approach, then you can go-around and go to the alt. There is nothing that seems dangerous about this. If you are worried about fatigue, switch from PF to PNF during cruise.

Like I wrote, it is a pain, but it is our job.

Now if this was an approach at CRW at night with icing, high winds, low ceilings and breaking action less than good, I would not take it.

Eric Pogo

Shooting an ILS on the 200 with a crosswind works better without the FD/AP....Watching it try to track the localizer is painful....

I would love to see How many of you couldn't come close to flying down to minimums with no flight director!!! With a 15 knott crosswind? I have over 5,000 hours on the 200 and the stuff I've seen from mostly captains would make you puke!! I have definitely seen captains mess up way worse than FOs by the way. This is absolutely a no go situation. 1,000 foot ceilings or better no problem, but what if something else goes wrong??? There is no need to do this other than ego. Break the chain early and send that airplane to somewhere with better weather. How many places does the 200 even go over 200 miles anyway?

Latest resources

Back