• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd go. At our CRJ airline, 2 Flight Directors, 1 can be in-op but 1 must be operable. Otherwise, it is a no-go for both Flight directors in-op (per our MEL book).

So, you still have at least one Flight Director. Just go. If you can't fly the airplane with no autopilot (yes, even in the soup), and if you can't fly with no flight director, then you really are a video game player/manipulator, not a pilot. Stick and rudder skills are missing.

I don't care about the autopilot defers, the FD deferred, or the FMS deferred. My biggest pet peeve MEL is the loo! There's only one lav, don't freakin take that away from us!

Most 121 ops specs limit non-autopilot/non-FD approaches to 250' DA and no less than 2400 RVR.

Also, it depends on if management has been slow rolling my contract negotiations.

Last edited:
Can you comply with the MEL? If yes then go. Do your job. Take turns flying if you get tired during cruise.

I'd go without the autopilot, but not without the flight director. You can all act like you're superpilots, but the facts state none of you are as good as the 'puter.

I take exception to this. It is for this reason that I DO fly raw data at times. No superpilot here but yes, I AM as good as the 'puter. I just gotta put in the effort. If you CAN'T fly without a flight director, I submit you have lost your scan don't belong in the front office.

I take exception to this. It is for this reason that I DO fly raw data at times. No superpilot here but yes, I AM as good as the 'puter. I just gotta put in the effort. If you CAN'T fly without a flight director, I submit you have lost your scan don't belong in the front office.

I think its funny when someone says they can fly the plane better then the computer!! ahahahahah... Love that, "I AM as good as the 'puter".
Sorry, but no ur not!!

The vast majority of posters on this thread would never have passed training at Great Lakes. How many fatal accidents has Great Lakes been found at fault for....hmm... They routinely have 1500hr captains flying with 250hr FOs. They fly in the Rockies. The answer to the previous question: ZERO.

Okay hotshot great for you but many of us already did that kind of flying before the airlines and didn't crash either!

AP deferred, no problem. FD deferred, no go. The fact that I have never been trained by the company, and never been checked without a FD makes my decision. If it isn't important enough for training, then we don't need to do it. Just to add a twist to this situation, what if there was only an NDB approach available, and the weather was at the NDB minimums?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back