• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you give up the jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Was it an ERJ-145 that you were trying to js on? If it was, when there are 2 jumpseaters most captains will let 2nd guy use the f/a jumpseat in the back of the cabin, weight permitting. Don't be shy to ask.

Geez why does everything have to go down the toilet in this industry. We don't even respect our own with common courtesy.

I once let a AA pilot go ahead of me and i waited 2 hours for the next flight. The pilot was so greatful and the gate was also appreciative of my generousity that everytime after I had to jumpseat from that gate area they took care of me. I had to say nothing and they had my back. Being nice sometimes comes back 10 fold. Not to mention how good it felt to help out another pilot.

Last edited:
Geez why does everything have to go down the toilet in this industry. We don't even respect our own with common courtesy.

I once let a AA pilot go ahead of me and i waited 2 hours for the next flight. The pilot was so greatful and the gate was also appreciative of my generousity that everytime after I had to jumpseat from that gate area they took care of me. I had to say nothing and they had my back. Being nice sometimes comes back 10 fold. Not to mention how good it felt to help out another pilot.

Couldn't have said it better myself.....All of you out there saying, get a ticket, don't commute, get a commuter clause, live in base. You are too quick to assume, and we all not what that does. How do you know what the other guys situtation is maybe he is in the prosess of moving or maybe he had to go see a sick family member and is now going to work, you just don't know. And those of you saying its too easy to say that you are commuting to work and are really going to somewhere for fun need to grow a sack, man up and tell the truth. It's no wonder managment knows that can do what ever that what to us. Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy and would eat our young if we thought we could get away with it!!!! Some of you will get what you have coming, karma is a bitch!!!!

Ya... but if you travel "incognito" so nobody will recognize you as a pilot and you don't introduce yourself to other jumpseaters, then how would you know they had a family emergency? You're right about the seniority, but wrong about everything else.

Sadly, I'm with Newman on this. I was a new XJT pilot getting ready to spend a long weekend with some frineds of mine in JAX. Well, the flight was full and at the time pilots couldn't use the FA jump. This AA pilot comes up to me desperate for the jumpseat to visit his mom who is very sick...no brainer I said "its yours", even followed him out to the hardstands b/c our retarded IAH gate agents insisted that I go before him. I get the later flight in 2 hours no big deal.

Get this! So after the weekend, I see that same AA pilot, along with another non-COEX pilot standing at the desk going back to IAH. I stand behind them and overhear all about the nice few days of golfing they got in together with the gate agent. I said, hey so the golfing was good huh? Glad I sat around for 2 more hour so you could make get another round in...he turned white and needless to say didn't make the flight back to IAH (FULL).

NEVER AGAIN will I give up my seat, too bad I got con-ed only 3 months into my first 121 job...oh well for the next guy.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back