• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you give up the jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey I am just treating people as I want to be treated. I don't want to give up the jumpseat just because someone is going to work. I would never expect anyone to give up the jumpseat if I was going to work. The jumpseat is for WORK and PLEASURE. Whoever gets there first or has the seniority wins the prize. Now if someone had a family emergency or something that is a different story. Someone maybe missing work is not even that big of a deal. Can you say sick call?

It is more complicated than a sick call. Besides why should you force someone to take a sick call, when you are just going somewhere for fun? What goes around comes around man. I've given the jumpseat up on ASA to mainline guys a few times when they were needing a ride. (On company, we can bump mainline.) I was going to work too, but I had a late duty-in.

Point is, we are all in this business together, and the guy you just bumped from the jumpseat may someday be your checkairman, or better yet, the captain on the jet you want to jumpseat on. If you ever bumped me so you could go to Disney World, I sure as heck would deny you the jumpseat on my plane...

It is more complicated than a sick call. Besides why should you force someone to take a sick call, when you are just going somewhere for fun? What goes around comes around man. I've given the jumpseat up on ASA to mainline guys a few times when they were needing a ride. (On company, we can bump mainline.) I was going to work too, but I had a late duty-in.

Point is, we are all in this business together, and the guy you just bumped from the jumpseat may someday be your checkairman, or better yet, the captain on the jet you want to jumpseat on. If you ever bumped me so you could go to Disney World, I sure as heck would deny you the jumpseat on my plane...

That is the beauty of it when I travel/jumpseat no one knows what I am doing. No one even knows I am a crew member and that is how I like to keep it. I get my jumpseat pass and either blend in with the pax or immediately leave the boarding area until it is time to leave. I am willing to give it up no problem if there is a true family situation or something that requires urgent attention.

Getting to work just aint that big of an issue. There are many people who commute so someone going to work certainly does not merit special circumstances. Over 50% of airline pilots commute or have commuted at some point. Commuters just aren't that special and do not merit any special treatment especially when commuting is always a choice someone makes.

Hey I am just treating people as I want to be treated. I don't want to give up the jumpseat just because someone is going to work. I would never expect anyone to give up the jumpseat if I was going to work. The jumpseat is for WORK and PLEASURE. Whoever gets there first or has the seniority wins the prize. Now if someone had a family emergency or something that is a different story. Someone maybe missing work is not even that big of a deal. Can you say sick call?

Ya... but if you travel "incognito" so nobody will recognize you as a pilot and you don't introduce yourself to other jumpseaters, then how would you know they had a family emergency? You're right about the seniority, but wrong about everything else.

Perhaps he too was jumpseating for personal reasons. It's too easy to say...."I'm going to work" in order to make the other jumpseater feel guilty. It's a hard call but it is 1st come 1st serve.

Thats why I like CAL's system for JS priority. Its very cut and dry who and when can and cant bump others. Different classes for different pilot groups. Inside of each class i.e. JS1, JS2, etc... if you check in outside of an hour prior and nobody else has checked in outside of one hour prior you own it. If somebody senior to you in your same JS class comes up inside of one hour tough ********************, its yours. If both of you come up inside of an hour prior the senior person gets it. At any time somebody with a higher JS class can bump you. With this system the most junior person at the company could take the JS over the most senior.

There is not a "one hour" cutoff at CAL. The cutoff is more around 10 to 20 minutes...whenever the agent puts it into the CASS system. You can be bumped up until that time.

I've given up the jumpseat to a guy going home when I was on my way to work (with plenty of time).

There is something important about being home too. You have to have priorities, and family should be top in my opinion.

Having said that, I probably would not give it up to someone going home if it meant me being late / missing work, and I have no problem giving it up for someone going to work.

Given up the seat for people going to work multiple times when I'm going for pleasure. Newmans comments just reflect the downward spiral of society and the ME ME ME way people look at things now. Not only is it the right thing to do, but you never know who you're helping out get to work, maybe the guy is on the hiring committee where you want to be, just a thought.

Given up the seat for people going to work multiple times when I'm going for pleasure. Newmans comments just reflect the downward spiral of society and the ME ME ME way people look at things now. Not only is it the right thing to do, but you never know who you're helping out get to work, maybe the guy is on the hiring committee where you want to be, just a thought.

Most airlines have a commuter or "call in honest" policy so all you have to do is plan your commute to work accordingly. "Commuting to work" should not be a card that pilots play in order to bump another pilot out of the jumpseat. I'm not giving up a day of my vacation just because someone put off their commute to work till the last flight. We all have places to go so the jumpseat should remain 1st come 1st serve.

Latest resources

Back