Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
This question is for all active and retired military aviators, more specifically USMC and Navy guys who spent a bunch of time on the boat: knowing what you know now, would you sign on the dotted line again? Would there even be any hesitation? If so, why?

Would sign up again for the Navy in a heartbeat as I did in 1965. It was the most fantastic adventure of my life. I did things I could have never done had I not joined. It was not all about flying airplanes, althought that is why I joined, it was about the people, the mission and the responsibility given to you. The QOL on a boat sucks, but being in the service is not about QOL. Just my thoughts, though reading this board things have changed a lot since I joined.

In a heartbeat!!!! Although I'd stay in 20 for the retirement and get a masters in business on the side so I wouldn't have to depend on this industry. Should-a, could-s, would-a. Aaaah the good 'ole days when flying was actually fun!

My AF career was a mixed bag for sure. The adventure and friends will provide a lifetime of memories. But it was disappointing watching good pilots and good officers get bypassed for weasels and political types. At the General officer level, there seemed to be two breeds - true warrior types, like the Robin Olds of this world, and the "other" type. The warriors made it worthwhile, the others destroyed much of my naive faith in how the military worked.

Plus, I screwed around too much. I foolishly thought my performance would be measured by my flying ability, bomb scores, air to air skills, when in fact I was rated by my ability to manage the sq. ground training empire, mo-bag readiness factor, etc. It was my fault.

If I were to pursue it again, I'd go guard or reserve. But nothing can take away the awesome experience of flying some incredible aircraft at 22 or 23 years old, and bonding with the boys through some harrowing adventures.

Plus, I screwed around too much. I foolishly thought my performance would be measured by my flying ability, bomb scores, air to air skills, when in fact I was rated by my ability to manage the sq. ground training empire, mo-bag readiness factor, etc. It was my fault.
Too funny! I guess it's the same on the AF side too! Ditto for me.

I would sign up again in a hearbeat. Even as a young LT in the Nav, you are given an immense amount of responsibility and leadership positions. The flying was challenging, exhilarating, rewarding, and fun. I've yet to forge friendships in the civ world that even come close to my Navy buds. I also find that the conversations in my civ circle are boring and they don't seem to respond well to the fighter pilot bar act. Maybe it's me.
Don't get me wrong, there was some BS, tyrant bosses, and diffucult times. As I get older, I seem to only remember the good times and the great experiences.
I could go on and on about why I'd do it again.

US Army here. Probably, but who knows. As a Warrant Officer, at the time I was in, I had a great time with very litle of the attendant "officer" BS the my commissioned brethren had to put up with. Just fly the plane and be an all around cool guy.

Yeah, now that I think about it, sure. But I had a really singular career. Who knows if I would get that lucky again.

Absolutely. The previous posts have pretty much covered it. Most of all it is the topnotch buds I've served with. You just won't find any better people.

A quote I feel sums it all up is "if you don't know the feeling words can't explain it but if you do know the feeling words aren't necessary."

Went 14 years active and now 4 ANG with zero regrets.

Met a captain who was hired at 24 the other day--he's wickedly senior. He discussed how he's been here all this time while his bros who went Navy are 8-10 years behind him. If airline is 100% your goal, then a good regional followed by a major will likely get you here 5 years sooner. If you goal is service, adventure, and a few more options, then military works pretty darn well.

I don't make a case for either route--that is a soul searching decision. For me, however, the OV-10/F-15 adventure has seasoned me, made me some great friends, and exposed me to corners of the globe I would have never otherwise seen. I loved it and am proud to have served and continue to serve part time...

Regrets? My regrets aren't losing seniority at an airline, but rather not doing what I thought I'd do when I started--buy a house every time I moved and then keep it. The guys I know who did that don't really sweat the industry's ups and downs as much. The only other regret (a very small one) is perhaps a technical degree might have allowed me to sneak one day into Test Pilot School, which I think for an airplane nut like me would have been a very interesting opportunity. But those years I gave up 22-36 to serve? No--I think I got a lot more than I gave back from the AF, and although there were some tough days it was a heck of an adventure.

Latest resources

Back