• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would You Do It Again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't say I regret a day of it. It was my ticket out of a small coal mining town in PA and a chance to do something I always wanted to do but couldn't afford. By 28 I'd been around the world, was an aircraft commander, and had seen and done things my civilian friends couldn't even imagine. I also made friendships that will last a lifetime.
It's not all gravy. Long deployments, failed marriages from being gone, anthrax shots and other things but in the long run, it was worth it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have tried the guard or reserve 1st. You'll know what aircraft you're going to get and you'll be home alot more. Most units have a new-hire interview board once or twice a year. Get to know the unit, their mission, and press some flesh. If you get in, the prize is a million dollar flight education and memories to last a lifetime.

Aim High - Air Force

Weasel Keeper said I know this was asked of pilots so pardon my intrusion sirs.

What intrusion?? I've always said that without you and your brethren turning wrenches every acft in the military would be a great static display and nothing more. Thanks for your input, it's always welcome.

I probably would not have joined the Army seeking to fly, but in the post Vietnam era of 1976, the Air Force somehow thought they could make it without me so I went green and flew helos. The Army's mentality that just making annual flight minimums was perfectly acceptable standards or that an airplane or helicopter was just an 'aerial weapons platform' was a source of constant frustration. But every time I had the privilege climbing into an aircraft with UNITED STATES OF AMERICA painted on the side, the negative thoughts all tended to evaporate. Fortunately, I made the decision to stay in even after I picked up my fixed-wing ticket and thought I wanted the airlines more than anything. In light of what's happening there, for me it turned out to be the right choice.

Birdstrike said:
I probably would not have joined the Army seeking to fly, but in the post Vietnam era of 1976, the Air Force somehow thought they could make it without me so I went green and flew helos. The Army's mentality that just making annual flight minimums was perfectly acceptable standards or that an airplane or helicopter was just an 'aerial weapons platform' was a source of constant frustration. But every time I had the privilege climbing into an aircraft with UNITED STATES OF AMERICA painted on the side, the negative thoughts all tended to evaporate. Fortunately, I made the decision to stay in even after I picked up my fixed-wing ticket and thought I wanted the airlines more than anything. In light of what's happening there, for me it turned out to be the right choice.

Should have gone fixed wing!!

Knowing what I know now about active duty AF, I'd be hard pressed to sign on the line again (AD at least, ANG maybe). Too much bureaucracy and not enough flying (I've flown 3 times in the past 6 weeks - about 15-20 hours). The AF doesn't take flying as seriously as they should. There's too much focus on career progression as an officer than as a pilot. We've got too many pilots lacking proficiency because they're preoccupied with staff jobs and/or are not serious about flying (this is how accidents happen). Too many broken systems that have been broken for the past 50 years and will always be broken because we seem to strive for inefficiency with the way we operate. That said, I have met some great people and have had some fun, but if I were to go back 3 years, I would have probably stayed a CFI making $25k a year w/benefits. The grass is always greener.

Pilotyip...yep, F11F in Beeville. Got my wings in May of `60. F11`s ...gone, Beeville...Gone, Airline job...gone (retired), Pension.....???(we`ll see)

Pistlpetet said:
And fly with YOU? No Thanks! The cockpit is probably already full with you in it.

You can be my wingman anytime!!!!

scarface said:
I would absolutely go in the Marine Corps again and again; I would also kiss whose ever butt I needed to kiss to get into the Osprey program.

how does one log time in the osprey?

Latest resources

Back