Would You Do It Again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TankerDriver said:
Knowing what I know now about active duty AF, I'd be hard pressed to sign on the line again (AD at least, ANG maybe). Too much bureaucracy and not enough flying (I've flown 3 times in the past 6 weeks - about 15-20 hours). The AF doesn't take flying as seriously as they should. There's too much focus on career progression as an officer than as a pilot. We've got too many pilots lacking proficiency because they're preoccupied with staff jobs and/or are not serious about flying (this is how accidents happen). Too many broken systems that have been broken for the past 50 years and will always be broken because we seem to strive for inefficiency with the way we operate. That said, I have met some great people and have had some fun, but if I were to go back 3 years, I would have probably stayed a CFI making $25k a year w/benefits. The grass is always greener.

Assuming you are being honest with yourself you must be in the worst unit in the AF! If you have so many pilots who "are not serious about flying" that you think that the whole AF is like that your unit is broken. Instead of posting on line about it I'd be talking to the leadership. If they won't listen then the IG or your congressman. You are right - that's how accidents happen IF no one has the courage to speak up! Even the biggest clowns I've known got serious once they got behind the yoke. If you are surprised or disappointed that being an officer comes first before being a pilot then you obviously weren't paying attention during officer training. That's the first rule! As many have said previously if flying is your number one priority then the military is not for you (except perhaps as an Army CWO). The country does not owe you flight hours. I don't blame you if you aren't getting the amount of flying you'd like ( I had one year where I got only 15 - 20 hours the entire year) but is it really because the AF isn't "serious" about flying? I've seen several ebbs and flows of pilot shortages and overages. Some probably could have been handled better but unfortunately they will be accompanied by feasts and famines in flying time. Good luck in your next career!

The Navy was absolutly awesome for me! I started with a squadron that was just standing up. For a while it was me and the CO picking out patch designs, furnature, and I flew with another squadron until we got our own airplane. Then I was the only pilot in the squadron for about 2 months. We weren't ready to deploy for over a year and a half and when we did deploy we only were out for 3 months at a time to Air Force bases. We still got to do day traps.
My next tour was as a flight instructor. It was more of a 9 to 5 job and the emphasis was definately on flying, 3 hops a day. The students were highly motivated, the pay very good, and the guys I worked with a blast! I still fly with my old squadron as a reservist.
I also love my job with my current airline. Good pay, lots of time off, and great guys.
I can't think of one thing I would change. I loved doing service for my country and now I love relaxing for myself.

Although I was not an aviatior in the military, I wish that I could go back. Live on the boat (for a single early twentys' male) was awsome! Maybe the beer has clouded my vision of history, but the days in the Nav were the best!

I only dreamed of flying for the military. My vision was not good enough. Oh well, got some flight deck time anyway. What a rush!

troy said:
I only dreamed of flying for the military. My vision was not good enough. Oh well, got some flight deck time anyway. What a rush!
You got that right!!! Nothing but respect for you guys working on the flight deck! It's def. eye opening (in hind sight) to have a 19 year old kid give you the "trust me" on deck as he's waving you around, because you do 100%. (Then have that same kid give you the fist coming out of the hand signal, for those that understand that :) )

SIG600 said:
You got that right!!! Nothing but respect for you guys working on the flight deck! It's def. eye opening (in hind sight) to have a 19 year old kid give you the "trust me" on deck as he's waving you around, because you do 100%. (Then have that same kid give you the fist coming out of the hand signal, for those that understand that :) )

I still use that signal to people currently!!

Yep.

I'd definitely do it again. If I knew then what I know now, there's a few things I'd do a little differently... but I'd still do it.

Flying with the Marines was the best experience I could ever ask for. It took a college student who was wet behind his ears and made him an Officer and combat military pilot. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of times I was frustrated from all the desk job stuff and lack of flying, but it made me a professional both in and out of the cockpit. The Marines will make you an Officer before you ever start flight training, and you will never stray very far from that foundation.

As far as the flying was concerned - Wow! I flew over both entire oceans, landed on a ship at night, flew low all over the country, got shot at by AAA and missiles the size of telephone poles, and taught students who barely had 60 hours from the basics all the way to getting their wings. I couldn't have asked for more than that.

Before I was just a kid working at an FBO dreaming to be a pilot someday, and it bridged the gap from my pilots license to flying for an airline.

And I even got to try some of Bjammins Texas Pete's chicken galore...

I got out for awhile, went to fly for a civilian carrier and found out why I went to the Air Force to begin with....went back to the AF and plan not to leave until the RIF or retire my butt....

Little-known good deals

I don't know if UPT students still have any choice in their assignment, but if so, keep an eye out for small squadrons with special tasks. I spent several years in AF Systems Command flying various telemetry and other test support missions out of Patrick and Wright-Patterson. We covered Apollo, Skylab, Minuteman, Trident, and satellite launches and photographed re-entry vehicles. TDYs included Australia, S.Africa, Tahiti, Seychelles, Lima, Rio, Buenos Aires, etc.
The GI Bill got me a Master's degree at night school, and that helped land an assignment to Edwards--best flying club in the world! The main reason I eventually left for the airlines was the virtual certainty of a "desk job" in the near future.

Do it again? Absolutely!!

Latest resources

Back