• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worst Airport to Taxi Around?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple have already said it, by far CDG.

Take Ohare and imagine it with poor to no taxi-way markings.

Take YYZ nad DFW having numerous ground frequencies, ramp frequencies, clearance frequencies that are also poorly put on the charts.

Last but not least, the language barrier, and add in to the fact that half the jets are french so you are never sure of what they are telling those aircraft to do.

AAflyer,

Then again, ORD,IAH,DFW,LAX for the first time I think we all felt a little lost and behind.

YYZ is horrible for the reasons stated before.

YUL is just as bad becuase some of the taxiways are incorrectly marked. If you dont have your taxi diagram out you are hosed.

Oh, and what the hell is with the small runway numbers in Canada? You can't read the dang things till you are practially over them!

Skeezer

Willow run: easiest place to get an incursion. Hold short lines on top of hold lines, the place is a nightmare, especially with students. AArrrggghh, the horror.

It is all about what you are used to and where you are from. Cont. guys/gals think IAH and EWR are a piece of cake. While Eagle and American think LAX, ORD, and DFW are simple. I myself don't have that big of problem with most new or busy aerodromes as long as the controllers recongnize that everyone is not used to THIER AIRPORT!

Its that, the controllers that make the taxi harder than it should be. At least in most cases the guys at DFW talk at a resonable rate. Sh!t, Yankies think we all talk and listen at mach 2! I talk slower thus, I listen slower. Not to mention the accent barrier with different parts of the country.

Sometimes I wish Pilots could issue a time out or penalty to the controllers. Shoot, they are government, we pay them right.

As for the last post, I could taxi YIP in my sleep. Choose again.

Last edited:
Flew my first trip to ORD today...and you know what? It wasn't as bad as the horror stories I'd heard.

On the other hand, I spent about half-an-hour poring over the airport diagram before we got there, and made sure I always had a pen in hand (as did my F/O) whenever Ground was talking.

I also learned very quickly...don't ever read-back a taxi clearance in that place. Just say "roger!"

Overall, though, I think taxiing at IAH (lots of letters) and DTW (bad markings) are worse.

Last edited:
Typhoon1244 said:
.......and made sure I always had a pen in hand (as well as my F/O) .....

You had your FO in hand ?????:eek:

"Anchorage, Alaska."

There's nothing particularly difficult about ANC. If it's your first time at an airport (captain) or even your third time (F/O) it might behoove you to have a taxi diagram out and be following it. It seems from the F/O's comments that he suspected that they hadn't turned 180 degrees to line up on 32 (90 from Romeo to kilo, then 90 from Kilo to 32) but he went ahead and took off when the captain told him to. I've heard it said that Asian flight crews have CRM problems as thier culture discourages questioning those in authority. Maybe this was a factor here?

At any rate, a heading check before power application would have prevented this....a lesson for us all.

A Squared said:
You had your FO in hand? :eek:
:D Yeah, maybe I'll re-phrase that next time. In fact, allow me to go edit...
I always had a pen in hand (as did my F/O) whenever Ground was talking.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back