• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worst Airport to Taxi Around?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh yeah I did forget IAH. What the heck were those guys thinking with those taxiway designators? Whats funny is watching us go to IAH and getting confused and then seeing Continental get confused when they come to DFW, it's just what your used to. :D

IAH SUCKS!!
But really, the names of the taxiways are logical, with the "N" taxiways being on the North side, "W" being on the West side, "S" on the South side, and "E" on the East. I've noticed the locals abbreviate the readbacks by eliminating the first letter since it is somewhat understood that it corresponds to the quadrant you are in. ...and what's the deal about the ramp controllers handing you off to Clearance who hands you off to ground?

ORD is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It goes smoothly because ground control treats you like an adult, UNLESS you mess up! Just Don't stop!
Dfw, on the other hand, could be much easier but ground control there are micro-managers. Use too much common sense and get yelled at.

DTW, no doubts about it. Those meatheads bark five instructions at you, then dump you to another frequency. Hey guys, short term memory doesn't last longer then 8 seconds. Never had that much trouble there before, but once the NW terminal opened up it gave those guys freedom to be total pr*cks. I'll agree that IAH suxs too, especially during peak banks when everyones log jams up by 15L.

However what ever Express dude flammed EWR, you gotta be kidding me. Those guys up there will work with you through ever last detail and never once yell if you screw up or are slow on a readback. Just imagine how awesome EWR would run if it had a layout like DTW. EWR is so small, I don't see how you could really get lost or miss that critical of a turn. I wish they could clone every single New York Controller, cause it would probably solve half of our ATC problems.

Charleston, S.C. (CHS) leaves a bit to be desired: no parallel taxiways. Well, none that you can use without being in a C-17.

DFW hacks me off when they send you to the other side of the airport the long way around after landing. And you can't cross a runway until American's launched their entire fleet.

Hmmmmmmmmm

I agree about ORD. Don't stop moving and don't reply when they are machine gunning clearances. LGA when it grid locks because of departure gates being shutdown and arriving airplanes landing is pretty crappy.

Humble

Oh, I almost forgot because I haven't been there in a while: George Bush Intergalactic...IAH.

What a nightmare! "Candler, exit the runway at November-Yankee, right on November-Romeo, to November-November, give way to a mad dog on Whiskey-Sierra, left on Whiskey-Tango, hold short of Sierra-Sierra..." etc, etc. Places where every taxiway has two letters drive me nuts!

IAH sucks ass! I'm based there and still get confused by it.

ORD I don't like, controllers talk too fast and I don't know the usual flow of things. Then they get pissy when I ask them to clarify...

DTW can fall off the planet, what a sh!thole airport! Taxiways and runways everywhere, plus 3-4 different ground/ramp controllers just to taxi out... woof!

Latest resources

Back