• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

World, ATA , and North American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's hard to get a release under the current administration, but four years negotiating is a long, long time.

I hope you will vote no if it contains a prohibition against striking military work as WA’s does.

ATA Dave,

This line in our contract is a requirement for obtaining DOD/AMC work. I would hazard a guess that its written somewhere in your contract. And remember AMC has always been the bread and butter of WOA since its start in 1948. It will be sad to see another great company get parted out just like NAA and ATA will be in a couple of years, and the subsquent whipsawing of the work groups against each other. Watch out after the Nov 08 elections.

ATA Dave,

This line in our contract is a requirement for obtaining DOD/AMC work. I would hazard a guess that its written somewhere in your contract. And remember AMC has always been the bread and butter of WOA since its start in 1948. It will be sad to see another great company get parted out just like NAA and ATA will be in a couple of years, and the subsquent whipsawing of the work groups against each other. Watch out after the Nov 08 elections.

There is nothing in our contract prohibiting pilots from striking DoD work. I just looked it up. (Ain't search engines great?)

It was determined WOA could have struck the AMC adhoc but not the fixed buy flying. This is the second carrier I have flown for that did AMC and the first had this clause as well. I was led to believe it was a requiremnet from Scott AFB (AMC). As for striking the ad-hoc AMC, it was strongly felt by the pilot group that we did not want to disrupt the troops going home from war. If the strike had lasted longer who knows what would happened but I feel like most would not have wanted to cause the PR nightmare that would have come from not moving the troops back and fourth from the states. It is one thing to disrupt Joe businessman or Vicki Vacation but a different matter when it comes to the troops. Our pilot group is largely former military and the last thing anyone would want is to disrupt military personal from getting home. I wish NAA the best of luck but if they do strike and they will see how diffficult it is to track "thier" flying. The Adhoc flying will just be shuffled around to WOA or ATA and it will appear as though it was thiers all along. WOA had this problem as flying was picked by other carriers but to prove who's flying it was in the first palce was impossible to prove. As for NAA's known flying I am sure WOA will honor the line. Again Good Luck

It never ceases to amaze me how positive ATA pilots are. In some instances this reminds me of the B717 acquisition pre-bankruptcy. Being positive is great, but sometimes it seems like the pilot group is like a deer in headlights.

Good luck boys, I hope it all works out for you...

You might be right

There is some strang language in Worlds SEC 8 filing about World being the surviving company. So things might not be so great for ATA after all.

This is just an opinion... but from reading the SEC filings, it appears that "GAL" (the old ATA Holidngs) is using a wholly-owned subsidiary named "Hugo Acquisition Group" to purchase World Air Holdings. Once the transaction is completed, the "GAL" wholly-owned subsidiary will retain the name of the company it acquired; that being "World Air Holdings".

In a nutshell, "GAL" will end up owning ATA Airlines and World Air Holdings, and through it's ownership of World Air Holdings, GAL will also own World Airlines and North American Airlines.

Skipper

“This line in our contract is a requirement for obtaining DOD/AMC work.”

Pwhipped

Dear Pwhipped,

I don’t think so. No such provision exists as it would be in contrast to the intent of the railway labor act. Such a provision would be illegal, thus unenforceable.

If you feel I am incorrect, please post here any such stipulation issued concerning contracts with any government agency. I will then gladly and immediately admit I was wrong and apologize. In the mean time, respectfully Sir, I suggest you stop posting as fact every rumor you hear in the crew room. They’ve been peeing on your head son and telling you it’s raining.

“As for striking the ad-hoc AMC, it was strongly felt by the pilot group that we did not want to disrupt the troops going home from war.”

“I wish NAA the best of luck but if they do strike and they will see how difficult it is to track "thier" flying. The Adhoc flying will just be shuffled around to WOA or ATA and it will appear as though it was thiers all along. WOA had this problem as flying was picked by other carriers but to prove who's flying it was in the first palce was impossible to prove. As for NAA's known flying I am sure WOA will honor the line. Again Good Luck”

Md11drvr

Dear MD11drvr,

Yes, strikes hurt people. That’s the way it goes. Now before you go and call me unpatriotic and start russlin’ up a lynching committee, please allow me to submit the fact that I am a retired AF C-141 guy, the same as many of you over @ WA. Strikes aren’t effective if they don’t hurt. Obviously we have to be careful that we hurt the right people whilst minimizing collateral damage. Incidentally, I think it should be pointed out that we haul troops in both directions, but that’s not the point here. The point is that the company looses money continuously until it ceases to exist, and the troops get put on another airline at a higher cost. Here’s the bottom line – when it comes time to park the airplanes, I don’t care if my Mom’s on it going to visit her Mom. The airplanes get parked.

As stated above, the troops go on another airplane. This becomes a new ad-hoc military charter, and you are correct, it will be tough if not impossible to get another pilot group to treat, or even recognize this as struck work. Unfortunately, the ATA pilot group, as long as we are a separate group, is contractually forbidden from recognizing this as struck work in a provision called “no strike, no lockout”.

LETTER
LETTER XI

OF

AGREEMENT

Subject: No Strike Clause/No Lockout
THIS LETTER OF AGREEMENT is entered into by and between American Trans Air, Inc. (the "Company” or “ATA”) and the Air Line Pilots Association, International (the "Association") pursuant to the terms of the Railway Labor Act, as amended.
Section 26.C of the Agreement notwithstanding, for the term of this Agreement, neither the Association nor any employees represented by the Association will authorize, support or engage in any strikes, work stoppages, slowdowns, job actions (including any sympathy strike or refusal to cross picket lines established by other unions for other ATA work groups) directed against the Company; provided, however, that the Association and the employees represented by the Association may refuse to cross a picket line established by ALPA represented crewmembers of another Air Carrier. The Company reserves the right to discipline, up to and including discharge, any employee who violates any portion of this provision. Further, the Company shall not cause, permit, or engage in any lockout of its Crewmembers during the term of this Agreement.
This Letter of Agreement shall be effective upon execution of and shall run concurrently with the Collective Bargaining Agreement effective July 1, 2002.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have signed this Letter of Agreement this _____ day of _______________, 2002.

This is but one of many reasons we must become one group immediately if this deal closes.

Fraternally and Respectfully,
Dave Withers

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back