• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Workout Regimen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really kind of depends on what's available. Sometimes that "fitness room" is nothing more than a treadmill and a broken bicycle.
When able, I go like this
Day 1 (travel day): Chest Back Legs
Day 2: Bis, Tris, Deltoids and Traps (suitcase shrugs for traps)
Day 3: Total Body
Day 4: Off
Day 5: Chest Back Legs
Day 6: Bis Tris Deltoids Traps
Day 7: Total Body (when I get home)
When home I go to my regular regimen. Forearms done every day except off days (forearms are my weak point).
Just got back into this stuff again 7 months ago and it has really done wonders. It's easier to get through a tour now than before.
When in OAK, you can always get a great cardio running from the muggers.

When in OAK, you can always get a great cardio running from the muggers.

Did you ever go to that bike trail that runs along the bay when in OAK? If you stay at the Hilton, walk down that main road after taking a left out of the lobby, and at the Harley dealership you'll see the trail head.

a lot of the hotels we stay in that have crappy gyms ( the crown at pbi) also have free or 5 dollar passes to the full service gyms right down the road. If its to far to walk or you dont feel comfortable walking the van will take you. Just make sure u ask when u check in.

I MUCH prefer the frac QOL overall, but my biggest beef is the difficulty of keeping up a workout regimen, compared with the airline type schedule.

The hotels (and hence the gyms) tend to be much better than the crappy hotels I ended up in before (good ol' regionals), but the hotel time tends to be MUCH shorter (often due to FBO rot), and the shows tend to be early (whereas they are balanced at the airlines). Most hotel gyms have only cardio equipment, or an extremely bare bones and clunky, half broken universal gym.

I try and emphasize more strength training in when home 7 days, since I will get mostly cardio in at hotels (due to the equipment). I toy with the idea of buying some of those bungee cord strength training things for my ovenright bag, but it already weighs a ton as it is (Luggageworks/PNS bag).

Also, unless I am right down to a 10 hour overnight, I will try and sneak at least 20 mins of cardio in before bed. Mornings usually won't work because of the tendency for early shows. I think the key is to sneak in a short workout rather than skip it altogether. Even 15 minutes is better than zero and makes it less painful when going back to a niormal routine when home.

I am an East coaster, so when my tours go West it makes for better workout times for me. If you are a west coaster sent east, it has to hurt.

Check out the book Combat Conditioning by Matt Fury. It has a bunch of push up and squat exercises among other things that work great. You can do everything in you room and they definitely build muscle.

RTRHD said:
I lost 40 lbs and all you need is a treadmill.

I can confirm that fat*ss rotorhead is less fat than he was 6 months ago. Of course he still drinks and dips like a redneck Texan.... but somethings never change.

I was just looking at the "Dirty Jobs" web site at Discovery Channel. Someone was asking Mike Rowe how he stays in shape since he is on the road so much. I haven't tried this workout he talks about, but it looks like it would suck (in other words, be difficult enough that it would make you throw up):

"Q: With the constant travel, how do you stay in shape?
It's called a prison workout. It's named thusly because it can be carried out in a cell, or in my case, a cheap hotel room.

Begin standing. Quickly drop to a squatting position, and then kick your legs back and assume a push-up position. Do one push-up, quickly and smoothly. In a fluid motion, pull your legs forward into a squatting position, and leap straight into the air. Land squarely on both feet. Repeat the entire motion. Move as fast as you can without losing control or balance. Do 10 reps, and rest 30 seconds. Then do nine, and rest another 30 seconds. Then eight, then seven, then six, all the way to one. Always do descending sets. Never rest more than 30 seconds between sets. If it's too easy — it won't be — start higher. If you vomit, start lower.

Do three complete sets before breakfast."

Latest resources

Back