Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

working for Chautauqua Airlines/Republic Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bjriggs17 said:
you would probably be offered the 170 with your time - bases are IND and ORD right now -145 bases are everywhere ( like 9 of them) - I think IND is junior for the 170, but from everyone I've talked to it is no problem getting the base they want - you won't sit reserve long if at all - I've been there since April, didn't sit reserve, have a line with 16 days off this month - good QOL in my opinion

I have borken down the E170 bases for you.

Shuttle Side ORD, IND, and CMH. CMH is by far the most junior for FO's
Republic Airlines side- PIT, PHL, and DCA> Any base will be junior as an FO. As the company is just starting up and FO's can't jump over as an FO. Now, If you upgrade to Capt on the Republic side expect to be in DCA or sit Reserve forever in PIT and PHL.

Hope this helps.

TurbineMan said:
Thanks FLAMINGFUPA & SLEDDRIVER.

I got into aviation late in my life. I'm 40 years old and married with kids. I don't think I could survive on $17,000 even for a year. Pay would have to increase rapidly and drastically for me to be able to do this. I though about going through the interview process just for the experience of interviewing but I don't think that would be fair to those who really wanted the job. I guess I will continue to try and find a better paying corporate job, although that, I have found, is very difficult without a type rating.

Greetings..

I am 42 myself and understand the first year pay issue. Check out airlinepilotcentral.com for pay rates and the whos who of hiring. Horizon seems to have decent starting pay. Also, I did'nt notice your flight time, but you may qualify for Continental, Airtran, jet Blue etc.

Take Care

My take...

I've been at CHQ for a little over a year now. I was local to the junior base in Buffalo, so I've been there since day one. Accoordingly, I was able to enjoy a good schedule pretty quickly, and the last few months I've been getting better schedules than I ever got at my previous company (14-15 days off, trips I want, days off I ask for, etc). First year pay is rough, I had to make a few adjustments to my budget and lifestyle to make things work. After the first year, I am almost back to what I was making. The hourly rate is within a few dimes of my old job, but the contract is weaker, so I don't bring in as much soft pay.

Most of my coworkers are good folks. A few I'd rather not fly with, but you'd have that anywhere. But there are plenty of guys that when I see I'm flying with them I think, "oh good, I like flying with so and so, we'll have a good time today..."

There are plenty of issues that people gripe about here. Contract compliance from scheduling and some management types. There are alot of "grey areas" and vaguely worded issues that can go either way, and the company is very one-sided in those areas. And lately it seems that alot of contractual issues are being set aside by the company during all the growth/turmoil with the whole CHQ/Republic/Shuttle America deal. But personally, I bid my schedule, show up on time, fly TO the book, and keep myself out of trouble.

Regarding upgrade opportunities, I figure I might be looking at a class MAYBE before the end of the year. It depends on what happens with the MDA airplanes and pilots. If they get the 100% that they want (and Bedford seems to be pushing for to get his planes staffed with minimal immediate training costs), it will take longer. If not, and the planes are staffed by CHQ people, then the floodgates will open. Either way, I've been down that road before, and my number will come up when it comes up.

I am certainly not a company cheerleader, and my background would suggest quite the opposite, and it was a tough call to come here, but overall, I have no regrets.

Can anyone tell me which are the junior bases for the 145, or how easy it is to get the base you want. Also, any info. on what you guys pay for insurance would be appreciated.

flyer172r said:
Can anyone tell me which are the junior bases for the 145, or how easy it is to get the base you want. Also, any info. on what you guys pay for insurance would be appreciated.

Buffalo, NY is probably your best bet for a junior base. I wanted BUF since I was local anyway, got it right off the bat, sat reserve for only a month and got started getting decent lines (for a non-commuter, that is) fairly quickly. Unless you are towards the bottom of the seniority in your class, you oughta be able to get just about anywhere (except Orlando, that seems to be pretty senior in both seats).

60 bucks a month for insurance for a single. Don't remember what it is for a family or couple, but I do seem to remember some outrageous rate for the first year only for a family (an HMO scam no doubt). The company recently changed providers to Great West, which is not gaining any fans here. Everybody is complaining about them, doctors who aren't in network, or seem to be, but the claims get rejected anyway, and I understand there are a few greivances in progress regarding the health insurance. I haven't dealt with them yet as a CHQ employee, but I do remember a few hassles with them at my previous employer.

Latest resources

Back