• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Working for a Foreign Airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will not be working there anyway because they require you to be billingual, I just found out today. I guess that makes sense being a spanish speking country but then again, do you have to speak chinese to fly for Cathay Pacific?. Whatever!!!....Thanks for all the feed back guys!!!

RightTraffic said:
I will not be working there anyway because they require you to be billingual, I just found out today. I guess that makes sense being a spanish speking country but then again, do you have to speak chinese to fly for Cathay Pacific?. Whatever!!!....Thanks for all the feed back guys!!!

You don't have to speak Chinese to work for Cathay, but it wouldn't hurt. It helps immensely with situational awareness when flying inside mainland China. Much as it helps to understand Spanish when flying over Mexico, or French when flying over France ( don't get me started on the French ). Those happen to be three countries that jeopardize safety by their ATC practices.

It isn't an unrealistic requirement to have a language requirement as some airlines do all their instruction and have all their manuals in their mother tongue. Lufthanse has a German speaking requirement, as Air France ( surprise ) has a French speaking requirement. Every U.S. airline has an English speaking requirement so that seems fair enough.

Typhoonpilot

What about flying around Montreal...is that French or some sort of Klingon! I thought that Canada eh was english. Not around Montreal, the French even look down on Quebec the way they butcher the language.

I vary rarely fly over China or have anything to do with their language. It would be better to learn Thai. I can't understand clearence in BKK to save my life. Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, almost anything else is great. It sucks though when I get to ANC for the first time in a while and have a hard time understanding ground when he says, "Cleared to parking."
The only reason I would want to know Chinese is to hear what the FA's had to say about my landing as they snicker and look at me while walking down the terminal.

You may be surprise

RightTraffic said:
Hello right traffic . In copa airlines we have alot non nationals close to 30 all of then are great guys . by the way ours SR VP operation is a big TEXAn . be cool fly boeing .

Hello 737wsouth
I spoke to Greta in HR and she told me that I had to be billingual. My mom is Panamanian and she is the one that put me in touch with Greta. Its too bad that I can understand a lot of spanish but I cannot speak it that much. I was looking forward to getting a chance to fly for Copa! I

Latest resources

Back