Working for a Foreign Airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RightTraffic

I recently got offered an interview at Copa Airlines out of Panama flying 737-700's. Is there anything bad about flying for a airline outside the U.S. foR a little while then trying to get a job with a U.S. carrier again. I am currently flying Saab340s and Metroliners (SIC) in the U.S.

PenAir?

I think in South and Central America pilots are still viewed as holding a high place in society. And I think you make a lot relative to the cost of living down there.

Actually, I fly for IBC Airways out of Miami, Florida. I applied for Copa Airlines a long time ago and I just got the email. It seems like a pretty good airline but I do not know I that will be a good career move.

Not ment to bash but you two don't have all that much flt. time so just about anybody offering you B737-700 flt. time should be viewed as a super deal for a few years. Learn Spanish and don't marry anybody down there and it should be quite the experience. Go for it!

Or ya will always be the gringo stealing the local's jobs.

Don't expect to be one of the boys down there, but rather a warm body in the right seat.

I worked for a couple of foreign carriers and have no desire to do it again.

RightTraffic said:
I recently got offered an interview at Copa Airlines out of Panama flying 737-700's. Is there anything bad about flying for a airline outside the U.S. foR a little while then trying to get a job with a U.S. carrier again. I am currently flying Saab340s and Metroliners (SIC) in the U.S.

Go to the Fedex and UPS websites and find their qualifications for First Officer. Read the note under qualifications here: http://www.pilot.fedex.com/?link=1. " Must have resided in the United States for the last 5 consecutive years. I believe UPS is the same. Something to think about if you want to work for either of those carriers.

TP

typhoonpilot said:
Go to the Fedex and UPS websites and find their qualifications for First Officer. Read the note under qualifications here: http://www.pilot.fedex.com/?link=1. " Must have resided in the United States for the last 5 consecutive years. I believe UPS is the same. Something to think about if you want to work for either of those carriers.

TP
I had forgotten about that. The requirement was added when we began carrying mail, and I believe it has to do with the background check required to satisfy the USPS. It's ironic, though, that we have many pilots that live outside of the US, and I don't mean just Subic.

hmmmmmm

:cool:

Where you work and where you live can be 2 very different places. keep an address in the states and visit once in a while. if you keep a utility in your name here in the us that would help too

vtwo said:
Where you work and where you live can be 2 very different places. keep an address in the states and visit once in a while. if you keep a utility in your name here in the us that would help too
The IRS really likes it when you get creative with addresses, and even better when you try to be sneaky about it.

:)

Latest resources

Back