• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WN to ground 190 flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fact is guys, that if WN is taking these steps each and everyone of us needs to watch out. If they are cutting 190 flts how many more do you think the majors will cut? These are the guys that have the hedges. They can operate unprofitable flights, we cannot, yet we continue to.
Interesting times ahead.
I guess we will see if they expand internationally to offset the domestic capacity slump.

That's the key right there, they can't expand domestically because DOMESTICALLY things are in the toilet. That may be a little different internationally. In the Winter months a lot of people want to go somewhere warm, either Hawaii or the Carribean or Mexico, places Southwest does not fly to. Will they venture out there, or get more codeshares like the ones with Westjet? I think they are just hunkering down, and costs are kinda catching up with them a bit. At least they have the hedges....

Bye Bye--General Lee

BLAH BLAH GK said the same thing last year. Little or no growth...no hiring for 08...retiring planes faster then swa was taking them. I will believe it when I see it. While it may hold the smallest amount of truth. GK is also negotiating with three employee groups right now. Do you think this may a little to do with the doom and gloom. Like someone else said if SWA is doing this what will the others have to do? So look in the mirror buddy. You AA pukes are so fast to lay blame. 65 boo friggin whooo. Its done stop crying.

Flop,
Unfortunately an article in yesterday's Dallas morning rag. Said that SWA is reducing fares and that the others were going to have to match. SWA's schedule and fare structure just came out.

From the Company website last week.

Shouldering a New Schedule

You may have noticed some recent changes to your favorite early morning or late-night flight. Well, in addition to seasonal changes, Southwest's Schedule Planning Team has implemented "shoulder cuts" to our flight schedule.

Shoulder cuts are slight frequency changes within a schedule that last for a just a few weeks. They help curb unproductive flying, because they're typically used on early or late flights that are not forecasted to go out full. None of the affected markets will lose all the flight frequency; most will only see a small change. But the main advantage to implementing shoulder cuts is that during times of lower demand, we're able to save fuel and reduce unproductive flying. So if a Customer asks about a missing flight, it may not be gone for good. Shoulder cut flights will often come back into service when demand increases.

Last edited:
Wow, someone's true character comes out when they feel criticized. Every other airline has been hammered on this message board and in many of those cases, rightfully so. Now here we have negative news from Southwest and someone posts a negative comment about them and everybody gets their panties in a bundle and rushes to criticize. He actually has a fact, although not so thoughtfully put, Southwest is starting to be negatively affected. I don't remember Southwest cutting 190 flights due to "winter schedule". The "winter schedule" is not the factor for these cuts, it is the terrible domestic market that has crushed the entire airline industry. All you that slammed him for his post are like the big bully that loves to dish it out but can't take it, especially when it is the truth.

Well, it took a few years, but like the rest of us, the economy and gas prices are finally catching up to you all. The chickens are finally come home to roost. Did you really think your growth could last forever??

How’s your decision on Age 65 looking now? Maybe you all can finally understand how Age 65 screwed the rest of us.

AA767AV8TOR

Dude did a SW pilot run off with you wife or something?

Rumor has it that there won't be any interviews for Sept and that they are going to ask for Vol LOAs.

Not suprising.

Dumbsh1ts could have had their LOA's by trying to stop Age 65. Even if it was ALPA's doing the company was retarded as hell for supporting it.

I'm betting on the company asking for a healthy reduction for the ave monthly line TFP or how about 200-300 forloughs. What do you think the SWAPA membership vote would be for this.? I'm bettin on guys voting to forlough.

Tanker clown please get back in the snack room and clean the coffee pot for the col. Your 5 min break is up.

Check out the facts RetardedDog. 6% reduction in schedule. Continuing hiring of guys. Does it make sense to hire while you are getting ready to cut back on the schedule? Of course not. But, it's par for the course with airlines to hire till the furlough. Therefore, in the very near future, you are left with more pilots to split a smaller pie. That either means a furlough, a reduction in hours for folks, LOAs, or a combination of those aforementioned things.

Speaking of coffee, maybe you need to look into a job at Starbucks. You might be on the streets soon...or with any luck, you'll only have your hours cut. You might need the part time jobs to make ends meet.

Not suprising.

Dumbsh1ts could have had their LOA's by trying to stop Age 65. Even if it was ALPA's doing the company was retarded as hell for supporting it.

I'm betting on the company asking for a healthy reduction for the ave monthly line TFP or how about 200-300 forloughs. What do you think the SWAPA membership vote would be for this.? I'm bettin on guys voting to forlough.

Sounds like a wonderful pilot group.

Latest resources

Back