With RTS out, what's in store for us?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're wrong on everything else. ;)

Well except when ordering platform shoes.

I've been thinking a lot on this since the ICOM came out two and a half hours ago. The conclusion I have reached is that it may not be all bad. I have immense respect for RTS and everything he has done for this industry, this company, and me personally. If he has an achilles heel, I think it may be his extreme loyalty to people. Let me explain.

The economic realities facing the industry and the company are so compelling that obviously the company needs to be revamped on a fundamental basis. In my opinion, and that of many others, the company is extremely bloated on the administrative and executive level. Many of the people in those positions have long-time and close ties to Mr. S and I think he is distraught at the prospect of downsizing in those areas.

From what I read, Mr. Sokol is a conservative, old-school, Omaha friend of Mr. B that is very highly regarded in business circles. A Fox Business analyst said when Mr. B and Mr. Sokol are together, they are the smartest guys in the room. Any room. I think this may bring an ability to make the tough but necessary actions to return the company to profitability. Emotional and personal ties will no longer trump good business decisions. Any of you NJ people who have been around a while can all point to at least one poor decision you know of as an example. Some may call these actions slash and burn cost-cutting. I prefer to think of it as better choices (two blue hard-bound books ring any bells?).

The one thing it definitely shows to me is a commitment on Berkshire's part to revive the company even if it means the retirement of the man that created the industry.

Gutshot, that downsizing may not reach the executive/administrative level only.

Wait what? Are you high? RTS didn't want to work with the unions, never has. He was shown the value of a union, but never embraced it until he was forced to.

I'm fully aware of that ...:rolleyes: but in light of the fact that he did the right thing in the end--regardless of the reason--I think RTS should be given due credit, especially in a thread showing appreciation for his accomplishments. I had even opened my post with a subtle phrase (In the interest of giving credit where credit is due) to tactfully signal that my compliments were somewhat qualified. I trusted that those who care about good manners would easily catch my drift. Interesting that you missed it...

Gutshot, that downsizing may not reach the executive/administrative level only.

Absolutely true. But I don't expect anything on the pilot/flight attendant front until after the first of the year and the dust has settled from the voluntary measures program.

Anyone know exactly how many vice presidents there are at NetJets?

According to Reuters World Press:

THE WORLD'S TEN LARGEST ARMIES

China - 1,700,000
India - 1,200,000
North Korea - 900,000
South Korea - 560,000
Pakistan - 520,000
United States - 475,000
Iraq - 360,000
Myanmar - 325,000
Russia - 320,000
NetJets VP's - 319,999 (not an actual Army, but worthy of noting)
Iran - 320,000

Absolutely true. But I don't expect anything on the pilot/flight attendant front until after the first of the year and the dust has settled from the voluntary measures program.

I bet its before the first of the year. He could use the holiday busy season to recoup some losses before year end.

According to Reuters World Press:

THE WORLD'S TEN LARGEST ARMIES

China - 1,700,000
India - 1,200,000
North Korea - 900,000
South Korea - 560,000
Pakistan - 520,000
United States - 475,000
Iraq - 360,000
Myanmar - 325,000
Russia - 320,000
NetJets VP's - 319,999 (not an actual Army, but worthy of noting)
Iran - 320,000

Now THAT is FUNNY!!!!! Sad, True, but Funny!!!

Latest resources

Back