• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"winning the lotto"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is no doubt SW has the best contract in the industry. I think the real question is why would a regional pilot choose SW over DAL, UAL, AMR, USA, etc. The choice isn't as easy as it may first appear. On the surface SW is the clear choice, but if you have 30 years ahead of you, that leaves alot of guess work. If one truly could choose their airline, I would look at retirements, future fleet plans, growth and fiscal stability. SW may well indead lead the industry in pay for many years to come, but it is likely parity will prevail. Contracts come and go, but seniority is forever.

I wouldn't call it winning the lotto. I don't think the words dream job are a stretch though. Great pay, great contract, great management, 17 days off is a given. If you want to work less (since your pay is higher at SWA), giving away is a snap. 20 days off would be no problem. 9.3 % 401k match! Do the math on that one. Cheap, caddy health plan. Job security! Of course there are those who will complain here. All pilots do. If you give a pilot a million, he'll want TWO million and bitch about it. Just like my wife ;)

There is no doubt SW has the best contract in the industry. I think the real question is why would a regional pilot choose SW over DAL, UAL, AMR, USA, etc. The choice isn't as easy as it may first appear. On the surface SW is the clear choice, but if you have 30 years ahead of you, that leaves alot of guess work. If one truly could choose their airline, I would look at retirements, future fleet plans, growth and fiscal stability. SW may well indead lead the industry in pay for many years to come, but it is likely parity will prevail. Contracts come and go, but seniority is forever.

SWA does lead the pack now for pay at passenger airline companies, but that won't last forever, and I doubt SWA will lead the industry in pay for MANY YEARS to come. After the pay issue is factored out, why would someone choose SWA over a legacy? Fewer INTL flights meaning less fatigue? Several SWA pilots on this board are chomping at the bit to fly internationally, bragging they may do Europe someday, in a 737, or bigger.... You just never know, but the pay issue may be moot sooner than later, and then you have to look at the whole total package. And, you are correct, seniority is forever, until arbitrators decide otherwise. (unless you are a USAIR East pilot)

Bye Bye--General Lee

You do realize that AA and UCAL have about 6,000 pilots still on furlough don't you?

Gup

Its actually 3k, and they have been furloughed for nearly 10 years now. I imagine very little will come back.. I have heard UCAL will retire 1.5 pilots everyday for 10 years once 65 hits.. How many does SWA plan on retiring ? I am sure a UCAL pilot will confirm this as its a pretty common discussion in the jump seat

GenLee

SWA does lead the pack now for pay at passenger airline companies, but that won't last forever, and I doubt SWA will lead the industry in pay for MANY YEARS to come. After the pay issue is factored out, why would someone choose SWA over a legacy?
Your arrogance and ignorance (about swa) never ceases to amaze me. Is it just pointless to refute all your bunk? You just spew stuff that not only doesn't make any sense but has no basis in fact or reality.

First off, I don't know if you can say SWA "leads the pack" We have a good contract that we fought hard for. We have industry leading scope protection that came at a price, but we don't have to worry about our flying being farmed out. Something no legacy carrier can even come close to saying. Based on contracts, the total of all sums, I would match us against any other "legacy" for those "many years to come".

Several SWA pilots on this board are chomping at the bit to fly internationally, bragging they may do Europe
Nobody's "bragging" Read the press clippings. Kelly's the one talking about going international. Not us.

but the pay issue may be moot sooner than later, and then you have to look at the whole total package
That's what I said
Pay
Scope
Codeshare
Benefits
Quality of Life
Schedule

I'll take any of these issues in our contract over any in another "legacy" You think we're going to go backwards while the "legacy's" pass us by?

Keep posting your anti-SWA drivel General. Your avatar fits you.

:nuts:

The industry has been so degraded in the US that our perception of what "good pay" should be has also been distorted, SWA is a good job and most people seem to like it but it is simply what a job should be, when SWA started their salary levels were about 20% lower than what the industry average was and the salaries they pay today should be the norm for narrow body pay and not the exception, when you take into consideration that the salary level at your average LCC in Europe is at about the equivalent of $210K the earnings at SWA are not "Lotto" like, they are average.

The industry has been so degraded in the US that our perception of what "good pay" should be has also been distorted, SWA is a good job and most people seem to like it but it is simply what a job should be, when SWA started their salary levels were about 20% lower than what the industry average was and the salaries they pay today should be the norm for narrow body pay and not the exception, when you take into consideration that the salary level at your average LCC in Europe is at about the equivalent of $210K the earnings at SWA are not "Lotto" like, they are average.

And it's probably not gonna get much better with state subsidized foreign carriers like EY/EK dumping hundreds of A350s/A380s on the US. Planes operate by many US based pilots working without a union and for crummy pay-indentured servitude if you will.
What's happening here WILL soon impact your foreign airline, like it or not.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back