Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
So I'm on the takeoff roll in SIU's Cessna 421C today. I'm at about 90-95 knots and I hear to big popping noises....almost like 2 rocks hitting the window. Everything in front of me looks good when the other charter pilots says to abort. I pulled back the throttles, started slowing her down and looked over at his window. It was completely fractured in multiple places. Has anyone here heard of this happening before? We have no idea what caused it. OAT was about 40 F. The plane had been in the heated hangar for a couple of hours beforehand. We pulled it out and it sat for about 20 or so minutes before we left. Also, the window deicing element was not on when this happened. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

DGdaPilot said:
So I'm on the takeoff roll in SIU's Cessna 421C today. I'm at about 90-95 knots and I hear to big popping noises....almost like 2 rocks hitting the window. Everything in front of me looks good when the other charter pilots says to abort. I pulled back the throttles, started slowing her down and looked over at his window. It was completely fractured in multiple places. Has anyone here heard of this happening before? We have no idea what caused it. OAT was about 40 F. The plane had been in the heated hangar for a couple of hours beforehand. We pulled it out and it sat for about 20 or so minutes before we left. Also, the window deicing element was not on when this happened.
I had a similiar experience in a Cessna 421B, only we were cruising at FL190 when the pilot's windscreen decided to shatter. We never did determine a cause. It cost a small fortune to replace the heated windshield.

'Sled

Like I said, 100 knots is rotation speed, by the time the sound registers in your head, and you're seeing 100 on the AS indicator, the last thing your doing is looking over to make sure all the windows are okay. How were we to know that it wasn't just a rock hitting the nose? The other pilot said he was looking down at the guages and just happened to look up right before we rotated.

Nah, it's only about $6000. That's actually cheaper than renting a Seminole cause you typically get 35+ hours in the 340 and 421. I think when I took this course the first time it averaged out to $133/hour. Where else can ya rent a 421C for that!?! :) Plus you get the advantage of working in an on-demand IFR charter operation.

There are two charter pilots. One's been there for quite awhile and the newer guy has been doing it about 1 year. They both have their MEI's but all the students have their high altitude so we log PIC. Technically, neither is an "SIU Instructor". They are the charter dept. pilots. They don't have any students to teach.

DGdaPilot said:
So I'm on the takeoff roll in SIU's Cessna 421C today. I'm at about 90-95 knots and I hear to big popping noises....almost like 2 rocks hitting the window. Everything in front of me looks good when the other charter pilots says to abort. I pulled back the throttles, started slowing her down and looked over at his window. It was completely fractured in multiple places. Has anyone here heard of this happening before? We have no idea what caused it. OAT was about 40 F. The plane had been in the heated hangar for a couple of hours beforehand. We pulled it out and it sat for about 20 or so minutes before we left. Also, the window deicing element was not on when this happened. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Nothing you can do about it...mine happened on the ground when the fueler was fueling the plane. I asked our maint guys about the heat that day and if leaving a window or a door cracked would have helped an he said "NO". It was hot as hell that day and we were down in Louisianna.

The maint guys from our FBO told me that was the third 414 that month that had an outer windshield crack on the pilot's side. It was shattered all the way accross too. The maint guys told me that it was an age thing.

I knew the owner that was leasing this plane back to the FBO and I heard it was going to cost him the better part of 20,000 to put in a new one. From what I heard, there was nothing I could have done to have prevented from happening...I would think it would be the same in your case as well.

Sometimes the windows number is just up I guess.

Had one at FL 350 in a 737.....cruising along fat dumb and happy and "pow" the outside pane of the F/O windshield shattered. The inner one held, but we still needed to do a skidmark check on our shorts when we got on the ground!:eek:

I dont quite understand? You're renting the airplane and call yourself charter pilots? What are you chartering, the instructor?

I had a copilot windshield go on a BE200 at FL 250. Scared the shi$ out of the owners and myself. Makes one hell of a bang. Apparently it is not that uncommon in King Airs. Talked to several others who had it happen more than once.

Latest resources

Back