Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NuGuy said:
Heyas WRV,

While you and I don't agree on some things, we are in agreement on this.

NuGuy's predictions (to be taken with plenty of salt):

The first to fall after this will be the DAL MX boys. No union, no protection...not even a negotiating period. From a management prospective, it would be stupid not to, but then again DAL management literally squandered 11 billion (thats right, with a 'b') without lifting so much as a finger.

I would say AMR MX is ok, since they actually use their Techincal Operations as a profit center (imagine that).

Anyone at an LCC might as well give up hope of improving their own situation.

The FAs are a hard group to pin down. Without stereotyping, the pilots and mechanics are more or less cut from the same bolt of cloth and will hang together. The FAs on the other hand are much more diverse set of people, single moms, empty-nesters, second income, doing it for the travel benes, and so on. It's hard to tell what they'll do.

You can bet the pilots will be square in the sights of managament after this. They aren't really replaceable in the same way as the mechanics. You can't fly the airline with managment pilots and then go to TIMCO and say "hey, I need 5000 pilots". Plus, you don't even need an A&P to work on a jet, only the supervisor who signs it off.

But all management needs to do is wave a stick at whats left of the 'A' fund, and you can bet the pilots will nerve will be tested.

How long before FedEx and UPS are tested? SWA?

This whole industry is working in a parasitic mode...it's using up whats left of the good days. People work for the crap wages hoping to win the lottery of employment at a decent outfit. But, the last of the good is being drained out. As the last of the holdouts fold, there will really be nothing worth looking up to. Once that's gone, what motivation will there be to enter this industry? But once the people in the industry get used up, and realize that there IS no tomorrow, that's when it gets interesting.

This affects more than just the employees. The LCCs aren't going to pay for fancy terminals, but in fact, will extort the cities to pay for service. Even with free airplanes and crap wages, you still can only run to a select number of markets and make money.

The best part of is is when ALL the airlines are duking it out in the same 60-70 citypairs...there won't be a pot to piss in for anyone. Amtrak will take over Greyhound, and the you'll have the federal government step in and run the EBS (essential bus service).

Nu

Well people,

This sounds perfectly logical to me. And I like to operate on a logical basis, so:

Sounds like it is time to buy a truck load of Campbell's soup and go out in the back-yard and dust out the cob-webs in the shelter.

dbrownie said:
I guess You missed my point.

Alpa is not perfect, but a good deal.

I do not mind paying dues.

Dave B

Thats what I thought you think you said, what I said. You would be a good manager. It seems to me you stated something different before.

WillowRunVortex said:
Thats what I thought you think you said, what I said.

Huh?

You lost me.

Let me be more clear.

I have to pay dues because I am in a closed shop.
I do not object to this.
They are well worth it.
I am glad we are ALPA.

Dave B

dbrownie said:
Huh?

You lost me.

Let me be more clear.

I do not object to this.
They are well worth it.
I am glad we are ALPA.

Dave B

Man, I agree. ALPA is worth it for the legal and medical alone. The contract maintenence is just a bonus.

If you swap paint or bust a blood pressure reading, they are there for you %100.

If you have to pay an aviation/labor lawyer or a doctor to help protect your certificate or medical out of pocket, ALPA dues will seem like a bargan.

The docs and lawyers are full time professionals, not some volunteers, either.

Nu

I agree with NuGuy. Pilots are the next to be outsourced. You say scope, aw, well just file for BK and get that wiped out or give all of you a 401k like every other American worker.

While I say this kind of tongue in cheek, dbrownie, get ready to pay a little less on the ALPA dues. It'll still be 1.95% (till they raise it to accomodate the race to the bottom) but the starting out number will be lower. Same for all the LCC pilots. There is always someone willing to do your job cheaper. Just look at the U.S border.

Dodge said:
While I say this kind of tongue in cheek, dbrownie, get ready to pay a little less on the ALPA dues. It'll still be 1.95% (till they raise it to accomodate the race to the bottom) but the starting out number will be lower. Same for all the LCC pilots. There is always someone willing to do your job cheaper. Just look at the U.S border.

We have already taken our first round about 20%. The next one will be about
30% more. You are right about the race to the bottom.

Dave B

dbrownie said:
Huh?

You lost me.

Let me be more clear.

I do not object to this.
They are well worth it.
I am glad we are ALPA.

Dave B

Man, I was messin with ya with gibberish, personally I'm set. And this whole thing is getting me tired. If you guys at NWA wanna see your airline self-destruct, great.

Latest resources

Back