Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WillowRunVortex said:
Why are you and I the only ones on this board with common sense? Everyone else on this board is like "those poor mechanic bastards". Guess what people, insert your groups name in that sentence next time.

I just heard that the PFAA leaked that they are leaning toward a sympathy strike. Wouldnt that throw a monkey wrench in the works.

Sure will.... Hello Bankruptcy!

FA union can not sympathy strike per their own CBA! If individuals take it upon themselves, I'm sure they will be fired on the spot. I'm afraid that the mechanics have dug their own grave by not giving concessions earlier, and now management is going to make sure they lay down in it. NWA never wanted a comprimise, that's become glaringly obvious. Unfortunately, is GO TIME!

WillowRunVortex said:
Why are you and I the only ones on this board with common sense? Everyone else on this board is like "those poor mechanic bastards". Guess what people, insert your groups name in that sentence next time.

I just heard that the PFAA leaked that they are leaning toward a sympathy strike. Wouldnt that throw a monkey wrench in the works.

Heyas WRV,

While you and I don't agree on some things, we are in agreement on this.

NuGuy's predictions (to be taken with plenty of salt):

The first to fall after this will be the DAL MX boys. No union, no protection...not even a negotiating period. From a management prospective, it would be stupid not to, but then again DAL management literally squandered 11 billion (thats right, with a 'b') without lifting so much as a finger.

I would say AMR MX is ok, since they actually use their Techincal Operations as a profit center (imagine that).

Anyone at an LCC might as well give up hope of improving their own situation.

The FAs are a hard group to pin down. Without stereotyping, the pilots and mechanics are more or less cut from the same bolt of cloth and will hang together. The FAs on the other hand are much more diverse set of people, single moms, empty-nesters, second income, doing it for the travel benes, and so on. It's hard to tell what they'll do.

You can bet the pilots will be square in the sights of managament after this. They aren't really replaceable in the same way as the mechanics. You can't fly the airline with managment pilots and then go to TIMCO and say "hey, I need 5000 pilots". Plus, you don't even need an A&P to work on a jet, only the supervisor who signs it off.

But all management needs to do is wave a stick at whats left of the 'A' fund, and you can bet the pilots will nerve will be tested.

How long before FedEx and UPS are tested? SWA?

This whole industry is working in a parasitic mode...it's using up whats left of the good days. People work for the crap wages hoping to win the lottery of employment at a decent outfit. But, the last of the good is being drained out. As the last of the holdouts fold, there will really be nothing worth looking up to. Once that's gone, what motivation will there be to enter this industry? But once the people in the industry get used up, and realize that there IS no tomorrow, that's when it gets interesting.

This affects more than just the employees. The LCCs aren't going to pay for fancy terminals, but in fact, will extort the cities to pay for service. Even with free airplanes and crap wages, you still can only run to a select number of markets and make money.

The best part of is is when ALL the airlines are duking it out in the same 60-70 citypairs...there won't be a pot to piss in for anyone. Amtrak will take over Greyhound, and the you'll have the federal government step in and run the EBS (essential bus service).

Nu

redflyer65 said:
FA union can not sympathy strike per their own CBA! If individuals take it upon themselves, I'm sure they will be fired on the spot. I'm afraid that the mechanics have dug their own grave by not giving concessions earlier, and now management is going to make sure they lay down in it. NWA never wanted a comprimise, that's become glaringly obvious. Unfortunately, is GO TIME!

"First and foremost, our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) contains no provision which expressly prohibits Flight Attendants from supporting our fellow employees by engaging in a work stoppage, with the exception of Letter of Agreement 2 which requires the continuation of military flights in the event of a labor dispute. PFAA and its legal counsel firmly believe that, contrary to company statements to the media and in employee communications, the Flight Attendants do have a legal right, both under our contract and Federal law, to honor another Unions picket line."

Get the info redflyer!

WillowRunVortex said:

Give me a break!

Do they have a strike center?
Do they have a strike fund?

They are not even close to organized.

Sadly; PFAA can't even get it's members to pay dues!!

I have flown with tons of senior mamas (pun intended) they all
to a person said they would not strike!

NWA has made up it's mind "replace those who don't show up".

Done deal.

Dave B

WillowRunVortex said:
"First and foremost, our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) contains no provision which expressly prohibits Flight Attendants from supporting our fellow employees by engaging in a work stoppage, with the exception of Letter of Agreement 2 which requires the continuation of military flights in the event of a labor dispute. PFAA and its legal counsel firmly believe that, contrary to company statements to the media and in employee communications, the Flight Attendants do have a legal right, both under our contract and Federal law, to honor another Unions picket line."

Get the info redflyer!

That's the "info" as the PFAA sees it. I'm sure that NWA sees it completely different. Just as I'm sure that ultimately, the courts will decide. In the end, it will be a moot point anyway, since by this time next week the company will be in Chapter 11 and everyone's CBA will be at risk.

dbrownie said:
Give me a break!

Do they have a strike center?
Do they have a strike fund?

They are not even close to organized.

Sadly; PFAA can't even get it's members to pay dues!!

I have flown with tons of senior mamas (pun intended) they all
to a person said they would not strike!

Done deal.

Dave B

So, Dave B.

Why do you pay ALPA dues?

dbrownie said:

Done deal.

Dave B

I agree with this completely. NWA has a plan and they are sticking to it. Right, wrong or otherwise, they are committed.

WillowRun, Its exactly as dbrownie says. The pilots aren't behind it, and the Flight Attendants aren't organized behind it. Unfortunately for the mechanics, its a done deal. There is no extra chair when this music stops.

WillowRunVortex said:
So, Dave B.

Why do you pay ALPA dues?

I have to!
however....

The first time I saw one of my friends "scrape paint" on a airplane,
Alpa dues looked like a bargin to me.

Another pal lost his medical for a minor reason guess who got his job back?

Guess who got me a deal on dis-ability insurance?

Who is fighting to keep the company from extending our duty day?

Alpa has it's problems but I know what it is like to work with out it.

Dave B

Latest resources

Back