• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will fly for free in BOS area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did admit I was going off on a tangent :)

You're right of course....to a certain extent..... BUT it actually does still amount to somebody doing exactly the same job in the USA for an almost zero salary. The reasons behind the zero salary (or almost) are irrelevant, whether it be exchange rates or because the guy can't get a job.....it's the effect is has on the rates in the USA.

A question: Why would your friend offer to fly for free?

Answer: His only reason is to try to get the job by undercutting
everyone else. He is screwing another person out of a paying job. Now it may not be you or me THIS TIME but it just may be next time, regardless of your percentages and 'fundamentals of business'. And that is just wrong.

It's as simple as that.

People getting jobs by undercutting is wrong....?????

Aaaarrghhhh!! You'd better tell every company and person that bids for anything in the USA that they are doing the wrong thing :)

and before you tell me this....I'm comparing same with same...obviously somebody with higher quality/experience can bid higher (so YOU guys keep admitting to me - so whats the problem????????).

Not worth arguing much more....Oh I learn so much about my fellow pilots from these forums :D

Yes flying for free to get 70 hrs. to get your 'magical 1000' when someone else needs that job to pay his families bills is wrong. I guess I'll go over to American Airlines the next time they are hiring and tell them I'll work for 50% (or 100%?) less than regular pilots if they will only hire me instead. Me, me, me, me, me!!! Yes, I also learn a lot about some of my fellow pilots on this board too. :rolleyes:

hey Jolly

I'm just curious Jolly, if a job you were applying for ever got awarded to someone else willing to do it for free, would you say to yourself, "oh well, that's the nature of business.... time to move on :D " or would you get upset and feel differently as do so many pilots who have shared their concerns about this very issue and say "G0d, that sunova b_tch!!!" ?? I believe when we're sitting comfortably and the world is going our way, it is much easier to say , "oh well, that's the nature of business", but if you're going hungry, and in an otherwise desperate situation, you may thing differently....

Well pa56pa, that's a good question, and I have been a similar situation...although not exactly as you described.

I have been in a situation, probably twice at least, where another has undercut me, and got the job only because he was cheaper...in fact in one case he was certainly far less qualified. Was I upset and mad at the time??? Sure I was! I need a job as much as the next guy. The difference is that firstly, I didn't bear a grudge against this guy for the rest of his life and call him the lowest form of life on earth - he was just trying to get a job like I was - I wouldn't do it, but he did and somebody employed him for it. I was probably more angry at the employer who made decisions regarding his future pilots seemingly based upon cost alone. My anger didn't last too long and yes I did try and say to myself that "this is the nature of business", because that's what I believe (if it isn't obvious :))

Another comment about pilots needing to feed families etc. etc. I'm not a believer that EVERY pilot out there is living from pay check to pay check, and has a family of 6 living at his airport in a RV and begging for food scraps every day. If they are, then they should be looking for another career - there are plenty of other careers out there for guys like them (i.e. presumably well educated).

Also, regarding working as a contract pilot. The job has risks which is why the rates are higher than a permanent position (higher risk, higher rewards). It also takes a certain personality and attitude to work on a contract basis. If you can't take the odd job being lost because of some a$$hole undercutting you, then perhaps you aren't the type of person that fits working as a contract pilot.

Just some thoughts!

Good discussion, even if I am in the minority :)

Jolly,

I understand what you are saying, but you have missed the point entirely. You say it is the bosses fault for using the free guy, not the guy who wants to be paid. Assuming management has all the money and needs a job done, and pilots need the money and can do the job, it's very simple:

If no one will do it for free, money has to change hands. If someone will, management, owners, etc. will profit and every pilot that needed work will still need work. The problem is jerk #1 decides to do it for free, so no money changes hands, management profits and a precendent is set.

Everyone has heard of the trickle down theory of economics, I think it works backwards in aviation. If someone will pay for a low level job, or work for free in the hope of moving to something better that's one less opportunity for everyone. Maybe someone will CFI for free in the hopes of getting on with a regional airline. He builds his flight time quickly, but everyones heard about it and they have done it too. Now the airline has three times the qualified applicants and can pay as little as they want, someone will take the seat. One guy wanted to get ahead, so he moved the bar down for everyone, and it works its way up the ladder.

The whole point is, if in an effort to get ahead one person will take a shortcut, or undercut another pilot then he/she is hurting pilots, not the companies that employ them. It's a domino effect that works its way up the chain, and unless pilots are united in that they provide a service and should be compensated, they can be played against one another, which isn't good for any pilot.

fly for free

We fight the same blasted problem in our town, but is is a slightly different game.

Retired airline pilots with handsome pensions who just want to PLAY often offer to fly light jets for free. It screws up everything!

Sometimes it is even union guys not bashful at all about talking about scabs.......Interesting

People who are willing to offer their pilot services for free are part of the problem, not part of the solution. These same people will cross picket lines and do whatever they have to do to look out for No. 1.

Latest resources

Back