Will fly for free in BOS area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Same old arguments

Same old arguments here, but if nothing else, at least it is entertaining! It always amazes me the things that people come up with to justify flying for free, paying for training, etc.

If you have to pay for a rating/training or time to meet the requirements or you do not qualify to be hired, it is PFT. If the company requires a specific rating to be hired, but don't care how you got it(such as SWA)...well, that's a fine line, but I wouldn't call it PFT.

huh?

the way i see it.. it's still PFT..... whether it's a good PFT or a bad one is the question... I guess it all depends on the benefits you receive from "Paying for Training"

At SWA, you PFT before you even interview... you're still not guaranteed a job.... but if you have the means and the $$, by all means, go for it. That is the company's prerequisite. But if you get the job, you got a job for life!

here's an example of a BAD PFT:

Company: American Support Group Product/Service:
Job Type: Full-time Employment Type: Permanent

Description:
As it takes more time as expected to complete the backgroundchecks by the Department of Justice we start the enrollment procedure for new first officers earlier as expected. We will have some openings by October/November 2003 for first officers Lear Jet fleet. Company is a regular part 135 jet charter company in the US. Operating 45 jet aircraft and flying all over the US,Canada,Mexico and Latin Amerika with passengers,cargo and air-ambulance. We are looking for especially low time pilots to give them the opportunity to fly jet aircraft (FAR/JAR25 multi crew) to gain the necessary experience to get their career going in the aviation industry. Pilots have to pay for their training but also will have the opportunity to get employment after completion of the first officer phase. After enrollment pilots can stay in the company and continue flying till they have a job or qualify for employment in the company.

Requirements:

Company Benefits:

Contact Information:

[email protected]

Like SWA, you're still not guaranteed a job, you just have "an opportunity" to get one. The last few sentences seem to indicate, that after the first officer phase "probably, just an SIC checkout, and not a type", one can stay at the company and continue flying "is this for FREE???? again????? arghhh!!!!!!!" until they offer you a freakin job?

In any case...what does PFT have to do with the original post... "flying for free" , "FFFree" $UCK$, AND HURTS OTHERS in the long run as previously posted by many... and allows part 135 charter operators like this one to exist. The least these morons can do is to "give" you that job and "give" you a salary and benefits so that you can recoup the cost.

JPB said:
A good friend of mine has 930 hours PIC turbine on Dash8. He needs about 100 more.

Ah, your "friend".... yet another airline-type-come-a'whorin' in the corporate world when he thinks none of his union bretheren are looking. No doubt your friend would also be the first one to caterwaul and squawk "Scab!" with regard to anyone offering to do the same whoring in the airline industry. Either he's a hypocrite or woefully clueless.

If he remains willing to fly for free, I hope he never finds his precious 70 hours. However, I wish him good luck if he gains enough self-respect to actually work as a proffesional (that means getting paid). If he can't do that, I suggest stocking shelves at Home Depot where perhaps they can build his character; obviously flying that Dash-8 didn't.

All that aside, if he has no time-in-type he's not going to get hired off the street as a PIC at any decent corporate operator anyway, since they'd have to send him to school in order to satisfy the insurance company.....and what department manager would send him knowing he's not only on furlough (therefore recall-able), but obviously so deperate for that "airline gig" that he'll do if for free? Pretty pathetic.

I tell you who will hire the airline whoreing on the corporate side. The boss or cheif pilot that want's to save those few dollars that the union/airline will pay to retrain furloghed pilots. knowing that they will stay the year. If not then they will look for someone sooner.
In the current market (employment and economic) it is becomeing a year to year bet on the owners part. At least the one that don't have thoese deep pockets they had. I'll hire this airline guy fore free and will see what happens next year, maybe he will learn to like to fold newspapers?

I also know (as most do) an retired united pilot, that took a job just to be able to fly a litte longer. Did it for half what it should pay. he is now very unhappy about the corporate pay!!! now that his united income is at 1/3 of what it was. how will he keep his5 cars and 3 boats.
Please, it is never going to do the profession, or even your family any good to be a WHORE little or big, for today or the next 10 yrs.......
I'm not agaist the airline guys out there. I just think everyone should pay his OWN dues and that has nothing to do with cash and someone paying for the bosses training costs, hell they will be offering to buy the jet fuel soon.....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back