Will fly for free in BOS area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JPB

A good friend of mine has 930 hours PIC turbine on Dash8. He needs about 100 more. Today he is on furlough.
Is there any way to fly a B90, 100, 200, or any other turbine plane part time and without financial considerations in the Boston area?
Thanks for the input.

ARRRRRGH!!!!

Okay, it looks like this guy is trying to get to that magical 1000 hours turbine PIC but...............

Is anyone else out there ticked off that guys are pimping themselves out for free? JPB, your friend is probably a great person who's just trying to "get over the hump" but jeez man, it hurts all of us when someone is willing to do it for free. :mad: :rolleyes: :(

I know the song rice
but we are speaking about 70 hours that he would have if he only worked 3 more weeks....Sorry if it hurts the romantic side of this wonderful world of aviation.:(

Okay JPB

I understand the 70 hours. But what about the next guy who "only needs 170 hours" or the guy who thinks he's gonna get that dream job but needs only 700 hours till he can apply to JB.
The logic is flawed!!!! Because with only 1000 hours of turbine PIC (assuming someone accepts his whoring offer) he's only met the minimums TO APPLY. He isn't close to competetive in todays job market so he'll need to EARN A LIVING for a bit longer while he's amassing more turbine PIC time.
And I've been doing this long enough to know that the romance in aviation is best found in a glossy paged magazine, published monthly and discreetly slid into a map pocket in the Cockpit. (aka Flightdeck for all the women folk) The rest is all a business. ;)

Last edited:
hey burn

Let me see if i understand your point of view:
It is OK to pay for company training; 10K wasn't it. But unacceptable to try to get back on the horse after losing your job when you have to care for your family and with a mortgage.
Just trying to help a friend.
Now if you have a better idea about building 70 hours of PIC turbine i would be glad to hear it. Otherwise, i suggest you use this positive energy towards your MEC.

Okay, it looks like this guy is trying to get to that magical 1000 hours turbine PIC but...............

It doesn't matter what magic number one may aim for, because when you reach this magic number, you will only aim for the next magic number... And then what? What's next after reaching 1000 PIC turbine, a new door opens for you thinking you're actually going to get your dream job? (after you sold your services for free..?) Think again.... does SCAB mean anything to the majors??

There are thousands of furloughed pilots out there including myself, and I'm sure thousands would rather work for something than nothing. Even the Mexican labor workers that are here illegally will not work for free, low wages maybe.... lol , but never for free. Why? we all have to put food on our tables, simple as that.

Collect unemployment, I'm sure he's eligible for that. Try to maintain currency and send out his resumes, and do what he has to do to put food on the table, but pimping is not the answer.

Rice

My friend has over 8000 hours. He has paid his dues more than once. It is only because of bad luck if he got hired by a major (and then laid off) just before reaching 1000 hrs in his previous job.
The only way to build the time is to fly a small turbine plane. When i said "free" i just implied that money was not an issue at this point.

JP

I understand, really I do. I was laid off in Oct. 2002 got a new job in Jan. 2003 and had to move across the country for it. Left the family behind just to make sure it was going to work out. Long story short, its not working out and I'm looking again but never once did I even think of doing it for free.
Hey life sucks and I feel your buddy's pain but the way he (or you) are going about it just isn't the right way in my book. Money is always an issue, if not to him then to the guy who might have been performing that service if your buddy wasn't willing to do it for free.

flamebait!!!

You want an idea for how to get the required turbine time, here's a novel idea... how about applying for a job or as a part time contractor the way everyone else does and get paid like a freakin' professional pilot!

AND IN THIS CORNER........

Let the games begin!!!!!:D
This could get real interesting in a few hours.

Latest resources

Back