Will fly for free in BOS area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flying for free

Sorry guys, but most of you are taking this WAY out of proportion!

If you think that one, (or even a hundred) guys that want to further their careers by flying for free are going to affect your rates, or indeed affect much at all, then you don't understand the fundamentals of business.

If you guys with big egos are worth their daily rate, then you're gonna get it - believe me - that's how it works, and it's called supply and demand. I can understand that those who think they are getting over-compensated, might be concerned though - and rightly so!

I say good luck to this guy. Instead of sitting around on his ass, he's willing to spend his own time and money to get a little more experience. You know what, wouldn't it be ironic if he ends up getting a better daily rate than his critics here, because of his extra experience and hours!

Also, not quite sure of the 'whore' and 'prostitute' name-calling. I'm no expert in this area, but he's not the prostitute - we are - LOL. Whores don't come free in my city - they make money by charging large hourly fees for their services - sounds like a normal contract pilot to me!

Start getting worried when 30% of the pilots start working for free - not .01%

If 30% of pilots do start working for free, you know what - there's a bigger problem out there than what's being caused by those free guys to make that happen.

Richard

Jolly, Don't take this the Wrong Way....

But, Shut the F#%k Up!!!!!!!!!!
I suppose we should all applaude the first a$$hole who PFT'd and the RJ guys should all give a pat on the back to their Mesa bretheren for that fantastic TA. I'm sure the guys at any of the Majors are happy to lose work to the regionals.
DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be more flamebait, I'm just trying to make the point that no one is happy to lose work to someone or some group who'll do it for a rediculously low or non-existant wage.
When it gets to 30% its way too late to do anything about it. When an individual or group does something, which subverts the majority's ability to improve their working conditions and/or compensation, they (the indiv. or group) must be stopped before their actions can negatively influence the industry. Be afraid, be very afraid of that .01% because that is who will start the ball rolling which once it gets enough steam, will eventually cost you, me and everyone else our ability to earn a fair and decent wage or worse yet, our jobs.

Jolly,

you applaud this TOOL for having to work for free to gain some "magical" 70 hours??

I think he is a loser for having to THINK about working for free.

No excuses, no "situations", nothing..

The guy is a LOSER, the very type that lets employers save a few bucks by having FREE flight crews..

maybe he just LOVES to fly so much and is SO deperate that he is willing ot do anything for it..

Im not too old, but I do rememeber working 14hr days as a CFI making little money as TOOLS went to FSI to pay $12,000 to fly a EMB-120 or a DC-9...and this was after the $400 "evaluation" (er..credit check)!!...funny they are all quiet now until someone suggests they take a pay cut...then WOW they stand up and fight huh?? wonder how all this came about....

lets not let these types bring this pathetic practise back.

There ARE good paying jobs out there, are they hard to find? sure...and who gets them??? Guys/Gals with confidence and self worth, thats who.

Gulfstream 200 said:
Jolly,

There ARE good paying jobs out there, are they hard to find? sure...and who gets them??? Guys/Gals with confidence and self worth, thats who.

Then what the heck are you guys worried about - LOL again!

Somewhat amusing to see how angry and spiteful some of the so-called 'professional pilots' can get.

Hey, what do I care. I'd rather employ somebody like that guy, than guy's with attitudes similar to some of the members here. God help anyone who has a different opinion with Rice in the cockpit - I guess he'll just get told to 'shut the...up'

The market, and supply/demand dictates our rates. Not some lone guy (and that's what it is - be real!), who's working for free. Maybe some understanding of basic business is useful, as well as being able to fly.

Jolly

Most people who know me on and off of this board know that I am not prone to blowing my top like that. But this is an issue that really hits a hot button with me.
I have my opinion and you have yours which is fine. I happen to think that I'm on the side with the most votes to this point and even if I wasn't I'd still maintain my view. I completely understand business and supply vs. demand; it is the guy who is willing to provide his pilot service for free who you need to be counseling on Business 101. He is the one who is undermining the industry by artificially affecting the supply side.
Again sorry about the profanity, you're right it isn't very professional but hey what good are message boards if we can't vent once in a while.

maybe rice is pi$$ed because he happens to be looking for a PAYING job - imagine that - a paying job...

good jobs go to guys who know thier worth, guys who Ho' for free bounce around at $hit jobs for years....but you probably know that with your keen business sense.

hey, its just an opinion, but as you can tell it really angers many here when guys like this surface.....flamebait or not.
:rolleyes:

and hey, about sharing the cockpit with a guy like that....I really dont think I gotta worry about that .:D

Gulfstream 200 said:

good jobs go to guys who know thier worth, guys who Ho' for free bounce around at $hit jobs for years

Like I quoted you before - if you really think this, then what the heck are you concerned about???

I don't disagree with that remark at all ... I just don't see what the "guys who know their worth" are worried about!

They should be worried if the "guys who Ho' for free" got the good jobs right??? But you don't seem to think that is the case.

I might be p$%%ed if this guy had any other intentions other than furthering his career.

Hey, each to his own opinions - that's what these forums are great for - voicing opinions and having the odd disagreement. I just know this isn't going to affect my rates or job market one little jot, so why get upset about it - there are more serious things I can assure you :)

I just know this isn't going to affect my rates or job market one little jot, so why get upset about it

I'm not a big fan of this argument. It reminds me of the "Why should I vote? I'm just one person in millions - my vote won't affect anything." attitude.

You are right,

this TOOL wont affect my or your pay one bit....

until (god forbid) you or I are out looking for a job. Dont think it cant happen. I know it can, and I dont want to compete with these rodents.

You are thinking too small man!

heres the scenario:

Joe Moron (our Dash 8 friend) finds a scumbag 135 gig that is happy to let him fly for free. He is psyched, he gets his 1000 turbine PIC. Thinking this is going to make him the only guy out there these days with 1000 PIC turbine (yeah..) he is shocked to find nobody wants to hire him...so...now that he worked for free for months - the house in in foreclosure, the wife is bangin' some other guy (who gets a paycheck), and the kids are hungry...so Joe Moron goes on the job search again, only to find that there are all these MORONS out there willing to work for FREE!! How can they do that!!...what happened to this industry he thinks??....I guess its just the "economic cycle" or the "evil republicans", or "the war" or something right?....after all, its just how aviation is right??...

Wrong, its self respect.

He is not trying to furthur his career, he is kicking an already battered industry SQUARE IN THE NUTS.

Last edited:
In reply to the voter comparison:

Not a good comparison - I know that around 50% of the population, (which is 100,000,000 maybe??), are going to vote - I also know (and so do you) that an extremely small percentage of pilots fly for free.

Maybe you can think of a better one.... :)

as for G200 reply....boy, what a dreamworld you live in....if you're worth it, you'll be flying at great rates for the next 20 years. So will I.

Boy, what do corporate pilots need next to blame things on...Airlines, Whores, ex-Military, FAA......??

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back