• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wierd Capt / FO / FE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have a guy that everyone calls Full Stall Paul...he thinks you have to land a Dash as the stick shaker goes off. Needless to say, he's had at least a few tail strikes and still continues to fly...unbelievable

Quack said:
We have a guy that everyone calls Full Stall Paul...he thinks you have to land a Dash as the stick shaker goes off. Needless to say, he's had at least a few tail strikes and still continues to fly...unbelievable

I would imagine he has had quite a few trips to the Chief Pilot's office as well.

I used to work the ramp for a regional (back when they were called commuters). We had a Captain that would tape newspaper over ALL of the cockpit windows for the entire flight from taxi out to taxi in. He would cut a little hole out through the paper on the front window to taxi with. We would just unplug the GPU and pull the chocks after both engines were running, because we couldn't see any hand signals from him. Imagine the look on the passengers faces that were waiting in the terminal and saw this Metro taxiing in with all of the cockpit windows covered in newspapers. That was always a challenge to explain. "Don't worry ma'am, the pilots in that airplane have x-ray vision." I guess he always responded to traffic calls with....."uh, negative contact."

What can you say...it was a Metro. You did what you had to do to try and keep cool. One time we took some plastic tubing and put it over the eyeball outlets in the "coat closet" and routed them up to the cockpit then stuffed them down our shirts. (Metros got REALLY hot in Texas...).

One of the passengers wrote in to the company asking why the pilots were getting "oxygen" and they weren't.:nuts:

flx757 said:
What can you say...it was a Metro. You did what you had to do to try and keep cool. One time we took some plastic tubing and put it over the eyeball outlets in the "coat closet" and routed them up to the cockpit then stuffed them down our shirts. (Metros got REALLY hot in Texas...).

One of the passengers wrote in to the company asking why the pilots were getting "oxygen" and they weren't.:nuts:

I hear ya. I always felt bad for the crews in the summer. We did have a pretty good ground a/c setup for our airplanes, though. We had home a/c units powered by Honda generators bolted onto push carts. We had a 10 foot duct that we would attach to the hole in the rear bulkhead. Cold soaked the a/c pretty good on the ground. Keep in mind, this guy taped up the windows even in winter.

mar said:
I just flew with a guy who apparently thinks I'm unraveled.

When we met in the hotel lobby for the first time he spotted some loose thread on my belt and quickly snapped it off (the thread). Told me I needed a new belt.

Later in the flight we were talking and I noticed his eyes kept looking down at my sleeve. When I paused he picked some lint (or maybe another thread) from my shirt.

Later, he wanted to know why my left shirt pocket was unbuttoned.

I DON'T KNOW!!! 'Cause that's where I keep my loose threads????
Let us know when he looks at your face kind of funny and then licks his thumb and wipes a smudge off like a dotting mom.

Flechas said:
He didn' tell us to do that, he used to do a lot of weird stuff (Still does some). I will never fly with him again.

He still does this, bwa ha ha ha. Great fun to mess with him while walking thru terminals - I couldn't resist. I also made a point to bring along a hand-held GPS when I saw I was flying with him....when he started pulling out his extra hand-held radios, etc, I pulled out the GPS and told him "right on!". He never was quite sure if I was messing with him or not. If I ever have to fly with him again (doubtful), I'm bringing along my pink fuzzy dice for the windscreen.

Flew with a CA at a previous airline who was always threatening to end his marital/financial/emotional woes by augering in on the next approach....used to scare the pee out of the FA's. His psych evals were done on a pretty routine basis, but last I heard, he was still there.

Takes all kinds..............

Back in the day...at a small midwest airport...we at redtail had a list in ops for all the CA's that peed in our cheerios. And for those accustom to ACARS perf data...the 'numbers' were sent only after a nice long wait and numerous calls over the ops freq. Even had tower call down a time or two as the 'release time' from center was fleeting. Moral of this story...DON'T piss off your ground crew.

And on the otherhand there were many-a-crew we took very good care of...'cause the respect was there. Thanks XJ guys.

Latest resources

Back