Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why would Allegiant Post A Job for Airbus Fleet Manager? Mistake?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Not sure if this has already been discussed - I just saw this interesting post on another forum.

Is this a typical typo/HR mistake on their part or a hint about their fleet intentions? Are there enough older A320/319s parked to get them on the cheap nowadays? Certainly the MD83 performance is not stellar - so, the A320 could probably fit the bill on most routes and most runway lengths currently used by the MD83. Anyone at Allegiant heard any internal chatter to confirm this?

With oil prices fluctuating, is now the time to start to re-fleet Allegiant? Obviously the MD80s are complete gas and maintenance hogs.... If they are publishing this job opening now, you can bet they are (or already have been) negotiating something - right?

See the Request for an Airbus Fleet Manager below:

https://www9.ultirecruit.com/ALL101...&__jbsrc=842E0E3F-B3FC-492C-A728-1F593571C0A1

Last edited:
It's plausible.... Plenty of A320/21 airplanes available out there - probably pretty cheap. Both Spanair in Europe and Kingfisher in India have grounded 30-40 Airbus airplanes apiece. Many of these are older airplanes whereas many recent Airbus orders have been for the newer NEO version - so, even more of the older A320/21 aircraft will become available over time as NEOs replace them...

At one point there was a rumor that Delta was considering a bigger Airbus purchase (if the 717 deal didn't work out) - I suspect Airbus (manufacturer) might be approaching Allegiant with a replacement deal instead if Delta doesn't work out. Again, many older Airbus airframes available these days.

I am sure the Allegiant pilots would be happy with the swap. More roomy up front. Although, they would have to learn how to "turn off" their flying skills in the Airbus. Just joking... :D :laugh: An America West Airbus Capt once told me the A320 was designed to protect 3rd-world pilots from killing themselves. :eek: :p Having flown both highly-automated bizjets and pure analog widebody aircraft, I can understand how skills can degrade a bit when you are largely "monitoring" the flight.

Last edited:
Had almost every big wig in the company come and talk to our recurrent class recently. While they wouldn't say that a deal is done, it's pretty easy to read between the lines. The 80's will be here for several more years, but will be slowly phased out beginning next year. Very good deals on 319's/320's out there and we were told that with the fuel savings, they would pay for themselves even with our lower-than-average fleet utilization.

I am sure the Allegiant pilots would be happy with the swap. More roomy up front. Although, they would have to learn how to "turn off" their flying skills in the Airbus. Just joking... :D :laugh: An America West Airbus Capt once told me the A320 was designed to protect 3rd-world pilots from killing themselves. :eek: :p Having flown both highly-automated bizjets and pure analog widebody aircraft, I can understand how skills can degrade a bit when you are largely "monitoring" the flight.
Don't be fooled, the Airbus is still like any other airplane.

Think I saw a picture of a Kingfisher A321 getting parted-out within the last month. If someone is willing to part-out an A321, the values must be dropping.

I know a guy at Allegiant who actually really enjoys flying the MD83. He likes the analog/glass mix.

Think I saw a picture of a Kingfisher A321 getting parted-out within the last month. If someone is willing to part-out an A321, the values must be dropping.

I know a guy at Allegiant who actually really enjoys flying the MD83. He likes the analog/glass mix.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

I get the sarcasm icon. I guess you could call it a lot of analog, FMS and a few EFIS tubes (like those found in a Brasilia/1900D). Still, in a few years when you are "along for the ride" on an A320, you might appreciate some of the actual "flying" you did in the MD83.

After 10 years in the ERJ, I can't remember what it is like to fly analog.... I am probably glass dependent. I might just have to go straight to the Airbus at Allegiant if you guys start hiring into it...:eek::laugh::p

Latest resources

Back