Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why would a RJ Capt. leave for CAL, DAL, UAL, UAW, or NW?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's all about sucking it up for a while and looking past your nose. Meaning, the pay hit is temporary in the grand scheme of a career. Sure an XJT guy with 8-10 years will do $100K, and he/ she deserves every penny of that money. But that is pretty much the ceiling for a line pilot at the regionals. Some guys in the training dept will make $120-150 but they're putting 24-26 days per month of work to acheive that.

There are ways to make more money at the majors than what Airline Pilot Central will lead you to believe. Futher, at CAL, most lines are 85 to 90 hrs since we are so short staffed. If you bid B756 in EWR you can fly 120 Hrs as IRO, should you wish to make some extra bucks. At third year pay of $72/ hr (B757), that's $8640/ mo. A buddy of mine who is a bottom line holder turned his March line into 120 hrs of widebody pay (which is approx $11 per hour more) by simply trip trading and whoring himself to death... I believe he finished the month with 8 days off. To each his own, I couldn't work that hard. So what were you saying about RJ pilots making more?

XJT has the best contract out there, one that has been enhanced twice since 9/11, but a lot of other reionals are trailing XJT negotiating performance.. The majors in general, by contrast, have taken two pay hits during that period. We are all now finally taking the gloves off for the next round of negotiations. In other words, expect big pay rewards in the next 2-4 years as we acheive post-concessionary contracts. The gap between regional pay and major pay will grow.

Looking out 20-25 years... a 30-35 yr old major pilot hired today will retire with $1.5 to $1.7 million. The retirement issue has now been fixed and the contributions going forward are in OUR NAMES... they cannot be stolen or cancelled by the company, no different that your 401K. Throw in the extra $1 million in earnings a major pilot will make during a 25 yr career over an RJ pilot and the argument to stay regional becomes background noise, no offence, just the facts. Bigger equipment, better layovers, international, blah, blah, blah... that stuff is just personal preference. I flew a lot of international in my previous career so I am not the least bit excited by the international flying argument but some guys want that experience, something you won't get to do at a regional... save Mexico and Canada.

BTW, I have nothing but utmost respect for our RJ brothers and sisters... especially those who are deciding to stay as a career. They have made a personal choice and I repsect that. Y'all deserve even higher pay rates and should certainly keep your better work rules. I am merely trying to dispell the misnomer that APC pay rates are the final word. One thing is for sure, you're going to have to accept being uncomfortable for a few years in order to reap these kinds of rewards I speak of at a major, i.e. start all over. But waiting will just delay the inevitable if you indeed want to make a lot more money than an RJ pilot.

Nothing wrong with remaining an RJ pilot for a career. An airplane is an airplane. But you will indeed make a lot more money at a Major and it won't take 5, 10, or 15 years to reap that reward... more like 3.

Last edited:
You are comparing the wrong years!

Why not compare the last year you will work at an airline. Compare your last year as a regional guy who hit 60 years old today to a Fedex, SWA, CAL, UPS, wide body Capt who also hit 60 today.

You need to realize that every year you stay at a regional airline that is one less year you will have as a wide body Capt at a major airline.

If you are middle aged, pretty senior and comfy at the regionals, it might not make financial sense to leave.

JMO, 73

I am middle aged, was senior and comfy at a regional, made good money... and I left for a LCC job.

It was still an easy decision for me. I will make up the pay, if all goes well, and my quality of life has improved both for myself and the family. Not a bad deal.

Actually, what you need to compare is not pay rate but gross earnings and the years you earn that money. For instance, making $100,000 at 30 is far more significant than making it at 40. Why? Because assuming you save 25% of that income at 30 it has 30 years to compound. $25,000 in a broadly diversified portfolio should reach approximately $400,000 by the time you're 60. Save that $25,000 at 40 instead it'll be $168,000 at 60. That's using a historical 10% broad market return, please lets not get into the "I can do better/worse with my investments" argument.

So realize we're not just talking about not "sucking it up" we're talking about missing out on some of your young prime earnings years. It takes a lot more to break even with low early career earnings, than just breaking even.

There's a lot of assumptions everyone can make here about the direction pay will go with airline X vs airline Y, but the sad truth of the matter is it's not as easy a decision as it used to be.

The sad thing is a lot of pilots who have "paid thier dues" and want to move on are getting passsed up this hiring spree.
I think the majors like the new regional FO's for security in future negotiations. Knowing they will have no PIC to be marketable anywhere else, they got lifers right off the bat. When times get tough the low seniority new hires are only left with losing their jobs and trying to get hired with K's of SIC, or accepting what the company gives them.
Why would a company want to hire a contract savy 8 year captainf from the regionals?

I can't believe this thread made it this far...

You all are a bunch of idiots for taking the bait. Why even respond to this? It is in the majors forum, after all!

-A happy 76 driver who is glad he left the regionals.

Latest resources

Back