Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why would a RJ Capt. leave for CAL, DAL, UAL, UAW, or NW?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PapaSiera

So I was doing some looking around on airlinepilot central, and I just can't believe those FO payscales. What makes it worse is the fact that they have lower guarentees than regionals have. DAL has a 65 hr guarentee, Continental has a 72 hr guarentee, AA has a 64. Then you look at those payrates and you are making less than an RJ captain for a long long time. Since the upgrades seem to look like atleast 10 yrs (except CAL) why is it that everyone is jumping at the majors. The FO pay is AWFUL. At United, a 2nd year FO will make $42,000. a 5th yr FO will make $65,000. In contrast lets say your a 5 year Captain at ExpressJet. You will bring home $75,000 easy. I would say most people at XJT get between 85 and 90 hrs of credit a month. So I guess XJT guys make more than Legacy drivers. That makes SICK. I don't know how ya'll do it. PLEASE tell me that you atleast get more than 65 HOURS a month of credit. Otherwise I guess the LCC's are not that bad of an option. Atleast you get more than 65 hrs of pay. And you can upgrade in 2-3 yrs. Maybe I am missing something here, but how can you be in this industry for as many yrs as it takes to get to a Major, but make less than you did flying your regional jet.

My rant is over.

PS-(I DID NOT PROOF READ THIS SO THERE MAY BE SPELLING ERRORS)

Quality of life, payrates if you get passed the first year and what not. Granted, I make about the same as my old 6 year RJ gig, but will blow it out of the water later this year.

Was a good fit for me based on where I live.

Reminds me of a dog humping a leg. I'm not sure why, nor do I care, but it seems to give them alot of self satisfaction.:D

And athough I'm not an expert, from observation, it would seem that at certain legacy bases, the farther your airplane can fly, the quality of the hookers goes way up inversely proportionally to the price.:cool:

P.S. the 64 hour at my outfit is lineholder min, reserve is 73 hours.

So I was doing some looking around on airlinepilot central, and I just can't believe those FO payscales. What makes it worse is the fact that they have lower guarentees than regionals have. DAL has a 65 hr guarentee, Continental has a 72 hr guarentee, AA has a 64. Then you look at those payrates and you are making less than an RJ captain for a long long time. Since the upgrades seem to look like atleast 10 yrs (except CAL) why is it that everyone is jumping at the majors. The FO pay is AWFUL. At United, a 2nd year FO will make $42,000. a 5th yr FO will make $65,000. In contrast lets say your a 5 year Captain at ExpressJet. You will bring home $75,000 easy. I would say most people at XJT get between 85 and 90 hrs of credit a month. So I guess XJT guys make more than Legacy drivers. That makes SICK. I don't know how ya'll do it. PLEASE tell me that you atleast get more than 65 HOURS a month of credit. Otherwise I guess the LCC's are not that bad of an option. Atleast you get more than 65 hrs of pay. And you can upgrade in 2-3 yrs. Maybe I am missing something here, but how can you be in this industry for as many yrs as it takes to get to a Major, but make less than you did flying your regional jet.

My rant is over.

PS-(I DID NOT PROOF READ THIS SO THERE MAY BE SPELLING ERRORS)

Trust me, I am having this conversation with myself. I am at XJT, made almost 80K this year and have 3 hard weeks of vacation (which is really 6 the way our contract works). There are also over 2000 pilots at this company jr to me. If I went to CAL, it would take FOUR YEARS (on the 73) to get to my current pay and with no medical insurance for 6 months.

It is crazy when you think about it. How far have we fallen as a group!? All that being said, I started this career with a goal in mind and it was not to fly the F-ing E-145 my whole life so I will continue to look for new opportunites. I will however not leave for certain low cost cariers and other 2nd tier freight types.

Who knows??

Last edited:
One thing long term career. If I never upgrade seat or aircraft I will still make over $10-12/hr more as an FO then I would ever make at the regional I was at. Plus I will make that top pay in 12 years versus 18 at the regional.

2-6% match on my 401k just is not gonna cut it for the length of my career I now have a 10%(soon to be 12.75%) B fund plus my 401k that is my money. The worst thing that can happen is that they stop putting money in my account.

Yeah first year sucks but so does 19/hr at a regional but you don't see guys not going there. Plus after the 6 months the medical coverage is better and cheaper then the regional I was at.

These were my reasons. To each his own.

Trust me, I am having this conversation with myself. I am at XJT, made almost 80K this year and have 3 hard weeks of vacation (which is really 6 the way our contract works). There are also over 2000 pilots at this company jr to me. If I went to CAL, it would take FOUR YEARS (on the 73) to get to my current pay and with no medical insurance for 6 months.

It is crazy when you think about it. How far have we fallen as a group!? All that being said, I started this career with a goal in mind and it was not to fly the F-ing E-145 my whole life so I will continue to look for new opportunites. I will however not leave for certain low cost cariers and other 2nd tier freight types.

Who knows??

To each his own but do yourself a favor, take a look at the demographics that will be voting on this next contract before you make any big decisions. I know it's a wildcard but I think it's a pretty good bet. There are a lot of young pissed off guys, something that was SORELY lacking on our last "contract."

Im not talking about 1st year pay guys....I understand that. Im talking about lousy 5th, 6th, 7th year pay at place like United at a 65 hr guarentee. Take a look for yourself. http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy/united.html

A 10 year 737 FO makes $70,000...SICK
A 10 year 737 FO at WN makes $120,000 atleast. THAT DOUBLE!!

And yes....you will be a 10 year FO at United. Probably a 15 yr FO.

19 years at Eagle, in my very early 40's.

Last 4 years averaged $122,00/year and 13 days off per month. Not a single junior man, although a few reroutes when last turn canceled. If I flew my base schedule only, I'd be around $95,000/year and average 16 days off/month. Eagle matches 87.5 % of the 8% I put in my 401(k), next year a 100% match. Started that in 1991 and now at $368,000 (got two other funds totalling almost twice that). Drive to work.

Why would I dump that for a 737 at EWR, commuting on a quarter of the pay, no better of a schedule, most likely if I did keep my pension it would be watered down, schedule worse, 401(k) worse and no job security ?

Ah what do I know.................Just another clueless RJ chump who isn't a REAL airline pilot.

But hey, that's o.k. Call me anything you want as I go to the bank with $10 grand every month (not killing myself doing it, either). At this point, it's my best bet. Almost 1 million in investments means I've funded my own retirement in 18-23 years (projected to need 2.6 million-wow !). If Eagle goes south, I'm still in failry good shape.

Keep your 737. I'll leave that slot to the 27 year old, 3000 hour RJ F/O who can make something more out of it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back