Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i was flying turbine equipment at 400 hours. it can be done. you have to be on the ball and sharp but it can be done!

L.Skywalker said:
Hey LowlyPropCapt, did I really once aspire to be like you??

I can't believe it...

Joke my man... Chill out. I am just as frustrated by the state of the industry as you, believe me. If I had my way you would need 1500 hours and an ATP just to get an airline interview. Alas, the aptly named SJS has taken over and low timers suck up an awful lot of jobs.

The "pounding" comment, while crude (as my sense of humor is), demonstrates what it seems to take for any reasonably experienced, non 141 pilot mill individual to get a job. Don't take things so personally.

Sheesh..

foreverfo said:
I hear what you're saying..but what I find the most is that they new guys to the airlines don't know what they're doing in the first place. Add a faster plane to the mix and it just adds to the problems. We should get paid more since there's been more mentoring going on than anything.

So if new guys to the airlines don't know what their doing, what difference does it make if they have 200 or 2000 hours?

As far as "mentoring", I think most airlines ops manuals will make reference in some way of the capt. being responsible for the furthering training and development of the FO (or something along those lines). Why should you get paid more for whats your required job duty?

msuspartans24 said:
So a guy with 800 hours in a 172 is more qualified than the guy with 200 hours in the same type of airplane?

Unless you have at least 500 hours of TWIN time (single engine is OK....as long as you have a patch on your shoulder from a tactical unit), preferably in the real world and not as a flight instructor (i.e. Freight, Charter, Real world weather) I do not want you anywhere near a jet that my family is on.

I had to babysit a bunch of 1000 hour guys at an old regional years back, that was bad enough, but at least they had SOME experience under their belt. They were still a mess when things were going wrong but at least they could do what you told them to. 215 hours is some guy just off his comm ride out of a 141 school. Back in the day as a company IP for a freight company about 30% of the new hires washed out of training because they could not handle a Baron in real weather, and they all had 1200 + TT.

So if 500 hours makes me a danger around a jet, and 1000 hours makes me okay, and 1500 makes me qualfied to chuck gear, at what point do I become experienced and qualfied enough to become a jet captain? Hours *should* be moot when experience is a much better indicator of piloting ability.

Lets take your average 1200hr CFI. They probably have their COM-ASMEL and CFI-IA and 800 or more dual given, with probably only 20-30 hours of multi time because their school doesnt have one and they couldn't afford to buy more. Most of their time is VFR instruction in a Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee.

Now lets take somebody with 600 hours and a CFI with 200 dual given. They have knowledge of transport aircraft systems and extensive experience in transport aircraft simulators, lots of time IFR in the system, maybe 50-100 multi and might have flown turbine aircraft or two into the flight levels (albeit under the close eye of an experienced captain).

Ignore their total time and look at each person's experience. Which one of these pilots is more likely to succeed in an airline's training program? Which one would you want shooting an approach down to minimums if the captain becomes incapacitated? Which one is going to make the better captain once they upgrade?

Each person's skill set is different; airlines (and to a higher degree, insurance companies) should not use an arbitrary number when trying to assess a pilot's risk or ability.

BoilerUP said:
So if 500 hours makes me a danger around a jet, and 1000 hours makes me okay, and 1500 makes me qualfied to chuck gear, at what point do I become experienced and qualfied enough to become a jet captain? Hours *should* be moot when experience is a much better indicator of piloting ability.

Lets take your average 1200hr CFI. They probably have their COM-ASMEL and CFI-IA and 800 or more dual given, with probably only 20-30 hours of multi time because their school doesnt have one and they couldn't afford to buy more. Most of their time is VFR instruction in a Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee.

Now lets take somebody with 600 hours and a CFI with 200 dual given. They have knowledge of transport aircraft systems and extensive experience in transport aircraft simulators, lots of time IFR in the system, maybe 50-100 multi and might have flown turbine aircraft or two into the flight levels (albeit under the close eye of an experienced captain).

Ignore their total time and look at each person's experience. Which one of these pilots is more likely to succeed in an airline's training program? Which one would you want shooting an approach down to minimums if the captain becomes incapacitated? Which one is going to make the better captain once they upgrade?

Each person's skill set is different; airlines (and to a higher degree, insurance companies) should not use an arbitrary number when trying to assess a pilot's risk or ability.

My point is that at 215 hours this person has ZERO experience outside of a training envionment.

msuspartans24 said:
So if new guys to the airlines don't know what their doing, what difference does it make if they have 200 or 2000 hours?

They should be able to atleast talk on the radios. :D

Seriosuly though, at 200 hours I had my hands full trying to fly a training twin, let alone an RJ or Turbo Prop.

Latest resources

Back