Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JAL hires 250 hour pilots that they trained in Napa, CA. Directly into the right seat of a 777 or 747.......oh well

"Our students get hired at Mesa"... I don't think there's any guarentees, at least the Gulfstream guys get real experience whether it's a 1900 or not.

tell the 1900 guys from Gulfstream who payed to sit in that seat to come fly an approach to mins in the dead of winter at ohare....then they can say they have expirience.

808pilot said:
i like what boilerup had to say...good points.....
so here is another scenario.....
military guys some out of basic flight training with roughly the same amount of time (250-300)...having only been in a flight training enviroment....then they head off to training for their type of aircraft (ie. kc-135, 130's, c-17, blah blah).....again they are highy supervised in a contained environment....when all is said and done they graduate and go stright to their unit with roughly 350hrs of flight time.....now, i know how good the military is and their training is the best in the world, but if people are going to compare pilots based on their flight time as a way to gauge experience seems to me that military and non are in the same boat.....
if a person can handle the work load and get the job done whats the difference? the gov't approved them to fly (although thats another issue.....ugghhhh), they have jumped all the hurdles.....
however, i find it hard to believe that there are companies out there that will pick up the 215 hr pilot......
one more thing....this whole SJS issue(i'm in a turboprop so i guess i don't follow).....what are the guys that go into the military referred to as for going into a jet with 350-400hrs? they have the same dream as the rest of us that got into the industry....whatever, this $hit is fun to read and it makes me look busy around my lady.....

The military screens people before they send them to pilot training. Anyone can go to the local flight school and plop down a wad of cash for training.

In the military, if you aren't cutting the mustard you are removed from training and given a desk job. At the local flight school, busting a stage check will just set you back another couple hundred dollars.

I agree that some schools will "groom" students to be regional pilots, but the problem seems to be that these folks still lack basic skill on some things. Yeah, they are knowledgeable and can quote aircraft systems, FARs, callouts, and profiles like its written on the back of their hands. The problem is that they get their asses kicked as soon as the autopilot comes off in a good stiff crosswind. They are more concerned with making sure that the landing lights come on at the right time than keeping the airplane on the localizer. The fact is, there is more to being a good pilot than your ability to memorize books and numbers. And for the record, I don't consider myself to be a great pilot either....I'm still learning....but I try not to put all of my eggs in one basket. Having the common skills to be able to fly the airplane safely is, in my book, the most important thing.

Last edited:
viper548....you're right...they get cut out of the program....thats not the discussion.....they will have the same flt time...different experiences and training yes, but same amount of time.....i'll bet you anything that a commander of say a c-17 that gets a guy right out of training is probably thinking "holy $hit, i hope this guy can keep up".....my best friend told me that when he finishes kc-135 training that he will be left seat qualified as well....he'll have around 400hrs....hopping into a 707 and being the one in charge....does he qualify as having enough 'experience' to do the job? i know he'll have all the information on what to do when $hit goes down, but can/will he keep a level head? who knows.....same goes for these low timers....they may have it all down and wired and may be $hit hot, but can/will he keep a level head? who knows.....see where i'm headed?
wait, why do i care? oh yeah....i'm looking busy.....

you jack a$$e$ saying that low time pilots should not be hired are hypocrits. you would have applied and taken a job at those hours when you were still in diapers if allowed to. stop knocking everyone that is trying to improve themselves and make the next step. i've known guys with 600hrs that are great and deserve the job and i've known guys with 6000hrs that can't complete a go-around without almost killing everyone on board. find something else to complain about while sitting on your buts

808pilot said:
viper548....you're right...they get cut out of the program....thats not the discussion.....they will have the same flt time...different experiences and training yes, but same amount of time.....i'll bet you anything that a commander of say a c-17 that gets a guy right out of training is probably thinking "holy $hit, i hope this guy can keep up".....my best friend told me that when he finishes kc-135 training that he will be left seat qualified as well....he'll have around 400hrs....hopping into a 707 and being the one in charge....does he qualify as having enough 'experience' to do the job? i know he'll have all the information on what to do when $hit goes down, but can/will he keep a level head? who knows.....same goes for these low timers....they may have it all down and wired and may be $hit hot, but can/will he keep a level head? who knows.....see where i'm headed?
wait, why do i care? oh yeah....i'm looking busy.....

These guys are comming out of training qualified in the right and left seat. That does NOT mean they are qualified to be Aircraft Commander. The military doesn't make the guy in charge always sit in the left seat. You're right, when these guys get to their units, the other guys hope they know what they are doing. Not all of them do, I've seen it first hand.

There are pilots with 400 hours that can handle flying a jet. Most pilots that went throught military training should be able to handle it. I'm sure there are quite a few civilian trained pilots that would be able to handle it too.

i am that low time guy that got hired....i did apply.....read the posts you super savy CFI and you'll find some of us defending the hiring of lower time guys......oh wait, i got it...mesa turned you down...you must be crushed....stop your crying on this site and spend your time on your resume so that you to can be that low time guy that everyone can yell at.......shhhhhh here comes my wife....i'm looking busy.....

BoilerUP said:
Now lets take somebody with 600 hours and a CFI with 200 dual given. They have knowledge of transport aircraft systems and extensive experience in transport aircraft simulators, lots of time IFR in the system, maybe 50-100 multi and might have flown turbine aircraft or two into the flight levels (albeit under the close eye of an experienced captain).

600tt does not equal lots of time in the system.

Latest resources

Back