Why we have OBAP........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

k2774

I don’t think a lot our aviation community understands the essence of why the Organization of Black Airline Pilots was formed. As a post civil rights baby, many blacks could not get in the door, much less get an interview with a major airline just because of the color of their skin. READ THE STORIES ABOUT THE TUSKEGEE AIRMEN. It seems that we have swept this part of history under the rug, but it still exist, and I’m sure that some of you older pilots, pilots who have older parents, fell into the category of discriminating against blacks and supported segregation. This was all done based on the color of our skin. There was no intellectual merit to this struggle.

So this organization was formed as an advocate of just giving us a chance, being equally qualified, if not more than our white counterpart. So if you support our goals and onjectives, go right ahead, but make sure you bring your heart with you.

First black airline pilot?

I was in Detroit last month and talking to a few of the guys that were in attendance at the convention. I asked this question of them, and now you, who was the first black airline pilot in the US? I was suprised that they were unable to answer this question correctly, so I guess some white guy had to teach a little black history. Good fun and seemed like a great bunch of guys. So who was the first black airline pilot?

Last edited:
back before the civil rights movements it was wrong to discriminate against someone because of the color of their skin. it still is wrong today. any organization that pushes for favoritism based on race is pushing for discrimination. therefore that organization is by definition a racist organization. call it what you want but all discrimination whether it is "positive" or "affirmative" is discrimination. it is wrong. organizations that sponsor racism are inherently bad.

hopefully the courts will swing back around and things will return to hiring and work rules that aren't as blatantly unfair as the ones we've lived with the past 20 years.

Last edited:
k2774 said:
I don’t think a lot our aviation community understands the essence of why the Organization of Black Airline Pilots was formed. As a post civil rights baby, many blacks could not get in the door, much less get an interview with a major airline just because of the color of their skin. READ THE STORIES ABOUT THE TUSKEGEE AIRMEN. It seems that we have swept this part of history under the rug, but it still exist, and I’m sure that some of you older pilots, pilots who have older parents, fell into the category of discriminating against blacks and supported segregation. This was all done based on the color of our skin. There was no intellectual merit to this struggle.

So this organization was formed as an advocate of just giving us a chance, being equally qualified, if not more than our white counterpart. So if you support our goals and onjectives, go right ahead, but make sure you bring your heart with you.

This organization, and those like it, do nothing but continue to divide us all into race groups. If that is what you want then proceed. Remember as a group you do so at your own peril. As all people who would seek division!

That said The Tuskegee Airmen only wanted one thing. That was to be accepted as Airmen period! This does nothing to further that end.

Spooky 1 said:
I was in Detroit last month and talking to a few of the guys that were in attendance at the convention. I asked this question of them, and now you, who was the first black airline pilot in the US? I was suprised that they were unable to answer this question correctly, so I guess some white guy had to teach a little black history. Great fun and seemed like a great bunch of guys. So who was the first black airline pilot?

August "Augie" Martin. Seaboard Airlines. Killed flying Biafran relief in 1965.
Friend of my Dad's. I was a little boy when he came to our house for dinner in the early sixties.
I'm also a white guy, BTW. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Okay I am impressed as you are 1st guy that has ever gotten that question right whether black or white. I was flying in the Congo back in 1962 for Interocean, (on leave or furlough perhaps from Seaboard), just before I got there. I think he was killed in a Connie while while landing on a dirt road, at night no less.

Last edited:
Spooky 1 said:
Okay I am impressed as you are 1st guy that has ever gotten that question right whether black or white. I was flying in the Congo back in 1962 for Interocean, (on leave or furlough perhaps from Seaboard), just before I got there. I think he was killed in a Connie while while landing on a dirt road, at night no less.
Pretty sure you're right about the connie. It was night and raining! Congo, 1962? I'll bet you have a few stories...

Spooky 1 said:

Sloppy editing on my part. It was Auggie Martin that was either furloughed or on leave from Seaboard, not I. Sorry about the gaff.

I think most of you don't know a thing about OBAP. Think whatever you may...it is not only for Blacks...come to the convention, you will see Black, white and foreign Pilots from all over the world. Let me give a tidbit.
The organization is there to raise awareness in the inner cities youth about a career in aviation. They have ACE camp in many areas of the country in the summer bringing kids to the airport for their first flight (White or Black). Growing up in the inner cities, who do you ask a question about aviation...but with OBAP, one phone call could get your questions answered. OBAP is there to give back to the community.
We have Pilots in the schools teaching kids, again White or Black, about the importance of aviation.
Members of OBAP come from all over, Millitary, Regional, Fllight instructors, etc. They have to be qualified just like anyone else in order to be accepted by the airlines...affirmative action my foot.
This topic seems to POP UP whenever we have pilots on the street.

Latest resources

Back