• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Was Comair Not Sold?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Same old story General. Delta have wanted to get rid of comair for the past five years.

Sad that a bunch of regional pilots had to teach Delta managment how to run airlines, they always seemed so smart. Weird.

Yeah, Leo Mullin didn't mind losing $1 BILLION on your strike......no hard feelings, right? Riiiiiiight. Your strike changed how DL operates DCI. They learned that giving a regional "control" of one hub gave that regional too much control of hub traffic in the event of a strike. So what do they do now? They spread out regionals at all the hubs, and often put several different carriers on the same routes, just in case one carrier strikes the others can still fly that particular route. That is why a lot of Comair pilots commute now, all because of the failed strike. Sure, the strike did give you things that you needed (higher pay etc), but also gave you a lot of negatives and DL management ideas on how to handle a regional strike in the future.

Also, it was stated that Comair was up for sale, but nobody has bitten as of yet. I wonder what will happen if nobody does bite in the future? Sounds like DL management wants out of regional ownership.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't usually agree with the General but he is correct on this one.

Yeah, Leo Mullin didn't mind losing $1 BILLION on your strike......no hard feelings, right? Riiiiiiight. Your strike changed how DL operates DCI. They learned that giving a regional "control" of one hub gave that regional too much control of hub traffic in the event of a strike. So what do they do now? They spread out regionals at all the hubs, and often put several different carriers on the same routes, just in case one carrier strikes the others can still fly that particular route. That is why a lot of Comair pilots commute now, all because of the failed strike. Sure, the strike did give you things that you needed (higher pay etc), but also gave you a lot of negatives and DL management ideas on how to handle a regional strike in the future.

Also, it was stated that Comair was up for sale, but nobody has bitten as of yet. I wonder what will happen if nobody does bite in the future? Sounds like DL management wants out of regional ownership.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You are right on the "money" General... I believe it's only a matter of time before the carrier shrinks away and the flying goes elsewhere. The CVG hub is now only a shell of what it once was.

Same old story General. Delta have wanted to get rid of comair for the past five years.

Sad that a bunch of regional pilots had to teach Delta managment how to run airlines, they always seemed so smart. Weird.

Kind of like touching a hot stove, learning a lesson you don't want to repeat a second time.

Funny how delta management is punishing comair. Its even funnier that its now NWA management running Delta.
They pissed away 1 billion dollars to save 20 million of the course of the contract, and some how thats the comair pilots fault.
The stupidity of deltas management has put comair where it is now, they are beyond belief.
General, you are a cool aid drinking moron, keep smoking whatever it is that gets you through your days. You are a twat!

Just for the record, my feelings about the Comair strike is that it was a courageous bar raiser, very much in line with what ALPA claims to be all about. Unfortunately it nearly coincided with an industry downturn which negated the regional pilot's ability as a whole to profit from it.

Now some of the Comair pilot group's action after the fact are what I believe are making them the recipient of grave dancing in our current environment. And they are also very much the victim of the CVG hub shift, not just Delta's ire.

Bye Bye--General Lee

First off, Delta didn't actually lose $1b, they had work disruption insurance for 90 days. Why do you think the strike lasted 89?

Secondly, our cost structure is handicapped not by our contract but because of the extremely Sr pilot group. Had they offered a DECENT buyout last year they would have had quite a few takers - however they offered a joke of a buyout and received a collective laugh from the Sr pilots. When you have 10 year FOs and 1/2 the CAs drawing 18+ year pay it makes for an expensive cockpit.

Last edited:
Just for the record, my feelings about the Comair strike is that it was a courageous bar raiser, very much in line with what ALPA claims to be all about. Unfortunately it nearly coincided with an industry downturn which negated the regional pilot's ability as a whole to profit from it.

Now some of the Comair pilot group's action after the fact are what I believe are making them the recipient of grave dancing in our current environment. And they are also very much the victim of the CVG hub shift, not just Delta's ire.

Quit spreading sanity and honesty on FI, it will get you nowhere.....

Latest resources

Back