Why someone SHOULD become a pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

So since I got put on the street, like so many other pilots are or have been in the past I got to pondering why I became a pilot in the first place, and if I should have done it in the first place. I began flying in April 2001 with the intention of flying a RJ and progressing onto a major. At the time I was 19 years old and clueless. I saw aviation as a mysterious creature that no matter how much you read about it you couldn't understand what it was like until you actually did it. I made many mistakes in my quest to get paid to fly for a living, and I am a better person for having made them. So on to what I think I have learned.

If you get into aviation to make money and enjoy what you have "read about it" you are in it for all the wrong reasons. How do I know, I got into aviation for money. Of course it didn't take long to realize that if your in flying for the money your in it for the wrong reason. After years of struggling with student loan payments, and low paying jobs I can attest to that. If you think that two years, or hell even ten years, after going to flight school you will enjoy traveling the world, drive fancy cars, and have a trophy wife at the house that takes care of your kids you are in it for the wrong reason. If you think that people will be impressed that you fly a jet, you are in it for the wrong reason. So why should you get into aviation. One word, adventure.

With aviation you never know what is right around the corner, both at work and in life. You never know when the next emergency will present itself, or when you might have to drastically change how you live to accommodate the current job market. You will meet all kinds of people, develop a attitude that most people will not understand, and more than likely learn how to be very humble, even though you might not express that attitude. It might take a while, but sooner than later you will realize that if you stick with aviation you are in for one hell of a ride. Every minute, good and bad, develops who you are as a person. You will start to watch people that work a 9-5 and think that they live in a close minded world that is fed to them with a spoon, or you will start to think that they have it all figured out. In which case you might want to do a day in their shoes. You will go through good times, and bad, but all along your doing things that most people only dream of.

So my point, most people get into aviation because they read a glossy ad in a flying magazine that promises the world, but people stay in aviation because they enjoy a adventure. If you want a adventure, aviation never disappoints. Take the good with the bad, be proactive, and remember, most people dream of doing what we do.

Oh, by the way, I never flew a RJ and I don't think I want to fly for a Major, but who knows, it's all part of the ride. Let the adventure continue.

The downturns can be discouraging. I've seen them come and go, over and over. I've been cut loose more than a few times, like many in this business. I've found temporary work. I've found steady work. I've found no work. Time and time again. Many moves. Scraping by at times. Lost a family along the way...but still here.

Adventure is okay, if it's what you want. You'll certainly find it,if you look. Perhaps even if you don't.

I clearly remember an evening long ago as I stood by the hulk of a Corsair on a ramp in the evening, just as the sun went down. Nobody was around nearby. I stood in shadow of the airplane, touching the fuselage. I heard the echo of whispers of those who riveted it together, those who flew it, those who maintained it, those who painted it, and in my head those voices were in harmony with my own.

I remember the uncontained excitement as a kid of approaching the airport, first seeing the vertical stabs poking up above hangars and trees, and then clawing to get out of the car as it pulled to a halt; a magical place built for kids of all ages...the airport, the sky.

Countless rogallo gliders carefully crafted in school out of paper and straws snaked from the cafeteria, throwing paper planes at brakes, dogfights etched on desks, long hours cycling to the airport in the dark to wash and scrub airplane bellies in exchange for a pitance in flight time.

The absolute untamed solitude of a dimly lit cockpit on a calm night with an unyielding field of stars above, and unfettered freedom to bask in thought at near the speed of sound. Seeing the sun rise and set twice in one day, and reducing days and nights to three or four hours as a metalic primitive time machine makes one continent vanish and another appear.

The miracle of parting clouds to reveal a lighted runway centered perfectly in the windscreen. The choking thickness of exhaust in the cockpit, stinging eyes, burning the nose and throat in an open cockpit during a fast turn on the ground. The blur of wheat a few inches beneath the wheels as the plains of kansas unfold below, to vanish in a cloud of poison behind. The majesty of a golden eagle off my wingtip on one side, a pine tree close on the other as we both skim the alpine hilltops.

There are a million reasons to fly; these are a few I can think of off-hand. They range from the spiritual to the economic, but I do know when some force separates me from my pathetic form of a body one day, my sole regret may be that I didn't fly just one more hour. Reasons to fly are without end. One day I hope to have seen them all.

I went out tonight in the great City of Chicago to a very busy bar only to find myself more annoyed that I went out because I have to be up at 7 to fly. Like the good friend I am I knew I wasn't going to drink since I had to fly so I drove for the night. We got to the bar and mingled with tons of people and as I was standing and watching all the drunk idiots have a good time I realized something. No matter how many nights you get drunk and go off with random bitches it could never surpass flying. I wouldn't trade one lap around the pattern for a good night of drinking any day. Is there something wrong with me? I got royally bitched at by my friend's for having to take them home so early mind you 1:15AM apparently is to early when you need to be up at 6:30AM and flying at 8 on the dot. How can people not understand that flying no matter how fun it is, is still a difficult process even if it comes natural to you. I for one am not looking at my 6 hours of basically non stop flying tomorrow as a great time but will I regret doing it? Of course not I guess Im just old fashioned and don't think like most 21 year olds o well.

So since I got put on the street, like so many other pilots are or have been in the past I got to pondering why I became a pilot in the first place, and if I should have done it in the first place. I began flying in April 2001 with the intention of flying a RJ and progressing onto a major. At the time I was 19 years old and clueless. I saw aviation as a mysterious creature that no matter how much you read about it you couldn't understand what it was like until you actually did it. I made many mistakes in my quest to get paid to fly for a living, and I am a better person for having made them. So on to what I think I have learned.

If you get into aviation to make money and enjoy what you have "read about it" you are in it for all the wrong reasons. How do I know, I got into aviation for money. Of course it didn't take long to realize that if your in flying for the money your in it for the wrong reason. After years of struggling with student loan payments, and low paying jobs I can attest to that. If you think that two years, or hell even ten years, after going to flight school you will enjoy traveling the world, drive fancy cars, and have a trophy wife at the house that takes care of your kids you are in it for the wrong reason. If you think that people will be impressed that you fly a jet, you are in it for the wrong reason. So why should you get into aviation. One word, adventure.

With aviation you never know what is right around the corner, both at work and in life. You never know when the next emergency will present itself, or when you might have to drastically change how you live to accommodate the current job market. You will meet all kinds of people, develop a attitude that most people will not understand, and more than likely learn how to be very humble, even though you might not express that attitude. It might take a while, but sooner than later you will realize that if you stick with aviation you are in for one hell of a ride. Every minute, good and bad, develops who you are as a person. You will start to watch people that work a 9-5 and think that they live in a close minded world that is fed to them with a spoon, or you will start to think that they have it all figured out. In which case you might want to do a day in their shoes. You will go through good times, and bad, but all along your doing things that most people only dream of.

So my point, most people get into aviation because they read a glossy ad in a flying magazine that promises the world, but people stay in aviation because they enjoy a adventure. If you want a adventure, aviation never disappoints. Take the good with the bad, be proactive, and remember, most people dream of doing what we do.

Oh, by the way, I never flew a RJ and I don't think I want to fly for a Major, but who knows, it's all part of the ride. Let the adventure continue.

There is certainly NOTHING wrong with being in this business for the money.

If it didn't pay what it did, I would not be doing it.

While sadly, 100K really is not much these days, making between 100-200K by just having a few decent type ratings and some networking skills really is not too bad.....especially if you are lucky enough to grab great QOL with that pay.

I can 100% say I'm pretty much in it for the money, have been for a while..is this bad?..I get my adventure out of the free time aviation provides to spend time with my family and hobbies. It's a job, it does NOT define my life. For that I'm very thankful.

Flying just does not provide "adventure" anymore, it has not for a long time. Is it fun? sometimes...work with good people?....I do! but adventure?...nah.

Its a great way to make a decent living - but Id hand in the certificates in a second if someone would pay me more to stay home and play (anyone?)

anyhow - I hope your umemployment is short lived and something better comes your way soon.

Last edited:
Life is tough. Look at the great life you have had to this point. You just have to keep battling. You will get to where you want to go.

While sadly, 100K really is not much these days, making between 100-200K by just having a few decent type ratings and some networking skills really is not too bad.....especially if you are lucky enough to grab great QOL with that pay.

I can 100% say I'm pretty much in it for the money, have been for a while..is this bad?..I get my adventure out of the free time aviation provides to spend time with my family and hobbies. It's a job, it does NOT define my life. For that I'm very thankful.

Flying just does not provide "adventure" anymore, it has not for a long time. Is it fun? sometimes...work with good people?....I do! but adventure?...nah.

Its a great way to make a decent living - but Id hand in the certificates in a second if someone would pay me more to stay home and play (anyone?)

anyhow - I hope your umemployment is short lived and something better comes your way soon.

x 2. If aviation gave me some sort of spiritual high, I would have chosen a career outside aviation and purchased a plane.

I've been laid off a few times already. It goes with this career...when the industry is doing good, things are great and business is booming, but it is notoriously flaky and can turn on a dime. When things are going too well, I get suspicious!

Although "the adventure" is not constant (nor should it be), I wholeheartedly disagree. I'll just say that some parts of the industry provides more opportunity for adventure than others. Not to mention, "adventure" is subjective. I'm fortunate enough to have a flying job that has me globe trotting and I try to do as much as possible on the layovers. I definitely see it as an adventure. Put me in the whistling while packing column.

Thanks for the kind words about my unemployment. Is your company hiring? ;)

I think that you prove my point exactly, you said it yourself, if you could make more money doing something else you would leave flying. What I said is that people often get into flying for the money, but people stay in it for the adventure. I can see how you could get "trapped" by the money, but it sounds to me like your flying is still allowing you to have plenty of adventures. You don't have to be at work to partake in "the ride" so to speak.

This is a personal choice, but when I am out on the road, and the schedule allows me to do so, I enjoy doing things. This includes going to museums, aquariums, parks, and generally going out and meeting new and interesting people. That's what keeps me going, but then again I have never been rich. Hell, I have never even made more than what it takes to make ends meet. More often than not I have made less than what was required to pay my bills, and have had to really scrounge to make it work. This is mostly because of the high price I foolishly paid to get my flight training. Like I said, I was 19 and ignorant. One day I hope to be rich, and maybe that will change how I view things. I personally think 100 k is a bunch of money, but I wouldn't ever turn down more. We are a two income house, so if we could bring in 200k a year for the house, I think we would live kings and queens, respectively.

To you Mr. Avbug, that was a very nice poetic post. I too hope to experience it all before I die. But I am hoping I can do more aviation things as a hobby, like get my glider rating, float plane rating, and if I am truly lucky own a "toy plane" one day. I have alot of adventure left in me, but I am hoping that a "career job" in in the plans sooner rather than later. I'm truly tired of the job hopping, either forced or due to professional development.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words about my unemployment. Is your company hiring? ;)

Not right now..:0 but very possibly in the Spring as new aircraft will be arriving.....:confused:

For one, I would look to get out of Michigan, I have relatives there and it has to be, by far, the most depressed area/job market in the country!

I think you said its a 2 income household? maybe harder to pick up and move, mut I wouldn't want to be shopping for a flying job in your area.

Hit all the corp job sites? there seems to be postings daily so there must be SOME hiring going on.

Best of Luck, something will come up.

Latest resources

Back