• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why someone SHOULD become a pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure how much reading you have done on other threads I have posted on, but we are both pilots, and we both got cut. So there is absolutely nothing holding us to Michigan. In Fact, Michigan will not be missed by either one of us.

In a year and a half we were robbed twice, and layed of once. I think the time has come to pack it up and move on. We are stuck in a lease until the end of October. Thank God we did not buy a house.

Sorry for the tread drift.

Last edited:
"I think that you prove my point exactly, you said it yourself, if you could make more money doing something else you would leave flying. What I said is that people often get into flying for the money, but people stay in it for the adventure. I can see how you could get "trapped" by the money, but it sounds to me like your flying is still allowing you to have plenty of adventures. You don't have to be at work to partake in "the ride" so to speak." Quote WAY2Broke.

I stay in this business for the money. Like G-200 said, I too, would leave job to be with the family, if compensation was equal.
Adventure with loved ones is more gratifying then being alone or with crew members.

Wish you well in your search!

Do it because you like to

Fly because you like to, if you want to be a pilot you stay in the cockpit. It is always easier to get a flying job when you have flying job. Don't be afraid to move to a different place and a different job. Never burn a bridge. Always have a plan B, live below your means, and always look at the good side of every situation, negative vibes can really get you down.

Last edited:
Great post Avbug.

Althoguh I havent a fraction of your experience, I can relate to the things you cherish and treasure about airplanes, airfields and aviaton in general.

thanksfor reminding us of the beauty aviation still holds, even with this terrible climate. fuel is the blood of aviation.

With aviation you never know what is right around the corner, both at work and in life. You never know when the next emergency will present itself, or when you might have to drastically change how you live to accommodate the current job market. You will meet all kinds of people, develop a attitude that most people will not understand, and more than likely learn how to be very humble, even though you might not express that attitude. It might take a while, but sooner than later you will realize that if you stick with aviation you are in for one hell of a ride. Every minute, good and bad, develops who you are as a person. You will start to watch people that work a 9-5 and think that they live in a close minded world that is fed to them with a spoon, or you will start to think that they have it all figured out. In which case you might want to do a day in their shoes. You will go through good times, and bad, but all along your doing things that most people only dream of.

VERY WELL SAID

I became a pilot for both the love of flying and a potential for a decent income. Initially starting certainly wasn't for the money, but as years go by QOL and income become more important. My love of flying isn't going to pay the bills. but the income will.

I am a pilot because I like airplanes and I like weather. Sliding out under a low ceiling in 1800 RVR and picking out the lights in an old freighter is an experience no groundpounder could really understand. I've lived well below my means for years to do it. But growing old with nothing but a fat logbook and a bunch of old stories nobody wants to hear seems to be part of the price. So is missing countless birthdays, cookouts, and times with friends. Is it worth it? No.

I've talked more than a few students out of a career in this because I think this is a better hobby than an occupation. But so far I haven't found anything else I like as much. I agree with the prior observation that the average 9 to 5 employee has his life spoonfed to him and never really questions the point of it all.

I read a quote somewhere that life grinds down all of our hard edges until we finally rattle into the hole we were supposed to be in from the beginning. We create our destiny,but God's motive remains unclear until the end.

Enough angst. I propose a new thread: Best poverty story. I once had just $5 left for seven days so I had nothing but hot dogs, buns, and cheap BBQ sauce. To this day, I hate that brand. Ramen forever!

money?

I became a pilot for both the love of flying and a potential for a decent income. Initially starting certainly wasn't for the money, but as years go by QOL and income become more important. My love of flying isn't going to pay the bills. but the income will.
What will pay the bills, pilot's pay is good compared to many other jobs.

One soon enough finds out that life is short. If there's something you dreamed of doing, now is the time to do it. This may or may not include making money.
Myself, I wanted to follow in my fathers footsteps and fly, I also wanted to be an engineer. I was able to do both. One financed the other, and allowed me to have a high quality of life as well, which includes aircraft ownership. It also allowed me to do it all on my own, without financial support from my parents. This was important to me, although it isn't to everyone, nor should it be. Bottom line, if you have a dream, you owe it to yourself to pursue it. At the end of your life, you might want to be able to look back and say that you did the things you wanted to.

What will pay the bills, pilot's pay is good compared to many other jobs.

Hence my point. I got into aviation as a career for both the income and my love of flying. If I wasn't making a decent income, I would find a new career and fly on the side, for fun. I do not need to do that because I am making a comfortable salary, with a potential to make much more. I couldn't go back to the regionals because of the pay. I love flying, but not to the point where I'm living near the poverty level.

Latest resources

Back