• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why someone SHOULD become a pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good post. I know this might sound gay, but there's a Bette Midler song called "The Rose" and speaks of those who are too afraid to follow their dreams. Love really, but fits dreams just as well. It's kind of touching. (you can find it on youtube or google the lyrics) Failure and fear prevent too many talented people from following their true desires (callings!) and instead bury themselves in excuses and subjective rationalizations. We all know a professional pilot career will always be a dream and one worth chasing.

Carpe Diem and follow those dreams!

LIFE is SHORT and can easily be truncated at a moments notice.

One soon enough finds out that life is short. If there's something you dreamed of doing, now is the time to do it. This may or may not include making money.
Myself, I wanted to follow in my fathers footsteps and fly, I also wanted to be an engineer. I was able to do both. One financed the other, and allowed me to have a high quality of life as well, which includes aircraft ownership. It also allowed me to do it all on my own, without financial support from my parents. This was important to me, although it isn't to everyone, nor should it be. Bottom line, if you have a dream, you owe it to yourself to pursue it. At the end of your life, you might want to be able to look back and say that you did the things you wanted to.

I agree with the prior observation that the average 9 to 5 employee has his life spoonfed to him and never really questions the point of it all.

I completely disagree. It is arrogant to say such a thing.

And no, I'm not a 9 to 5'er

Sorry, it is offensive, but I did say "average." Not enough people question their reality or ask themselves if there even is a plan or a better path. I admire those who better the human condition and act on their convictions. Pilots are equipment operators, and beyond a sacred trust to the safety of our passengers and equipment, we just drive a big machine that's red and white and looks like a BIG TYLENOL. My name is ##**+ and I am an aviaholic. That is no joke. Fly safe!

Sorry, it is offensive, but I did say "average." Not enough people question their reality or ask themselves if there even is a plan or a better path. I admire those who better the human condition and act on their convictions. Pilots are equipment operators, and beyond a sacred trust to the safety of our passengers and equipment, we just drive a big machine that's red and white and looks like a BIG TYLENOL. My name is ##**+ and I am an aviaholic. That is no joke. Fly safe!
You have the big picture, you are truely blessed. Lets go to the "Wedge" and talk flying stories.

I am in it for the fun, girls and the money $$$$

Way2Broke, Hang in there if you are savvy and work hard and make connections something else will come along in short time.

I decided early on that that I was not going to fly till I could pay cash for all training no student loans, and that regionals, airlines, freight where not my thing because of the low pay so I started ferrying aircraft it took about a year to get myself established in the industry's.

There is a post from me when I had almost hit bottom in aviation about $5.00 in my pocket was thinking of selling my house I was even kicked off of a forum for the post.

Now a bit over a year since that post I have kept my family together through the hard times and have been working super hard making connections.

Now, I have just paid my house off and have established myself in the industry not as the cheapest but as getting the job done and have steady clients all over the world.

There is no other feeling like flying an over gross weight single engine to light twin over the ocean's ending up in some exotic places most of all having your own schedule.

If you want to make it happen it's up to you.

My current plate,

SR22 to Hawaii
182 to Spain
Seneca V to Philippines

November 1st type Single Pilot CE-525 (To Thailand)

No offense at all. There are more people betting on when you'll buy the farm than there are people who could fit in any venue to commiserate, and certainly there would be no more room for another card that says "I told you so."

Given your past and your history, one can only guess who might be stupid enough to put you in a citation, let alone single pilot, to go anywhere...around the pattern for that matter, let alone Thailand.

It wasn't your comments about losing your house that got you booted, incidentally. It was your unbridled rudeness and disrespect, coupled with idiotic commentary and behavior unbecoming a drunk sanitation worker (to say nothing of a pilot).

It wasn't your comments about losing your house that got you booted, incidentally. It was your unbridled rudeness and disrespect, coupled with idiotic commentary and behavior unbecoming a drunk sanitation worker (to say nothing of a pilot).

HEY! My dad used to be a sanitation worker. I take offense to him being compared to NW_pilot! He could speak in complete sentences, knew the difference between your/you're, and the proper use of punctuation.

:laugh:

Sorry, that was very insensitive of me. I did consider it when making the comment, but apparently without the full ramifications of it's impact on the sanitation industry.

Your father probably also wouldn't be arrogant enough to go from a Cessna 150 maintained by the local discount merchant to a single pilot CE525 type, either.

NW Pilot is really our favorite chew toy, sort of a train wreck in motion from which one just can't look away. The entertainment is even greater in his case, however, because he's proud of it...in the same way a dog soils one's porch and then wants a reward, I suppose.

In fairness to your father, then, let me ammend my comparison not to a drunk sanitation worker, but instead a sanitation worker that has been kidnapped by eco terrorists and forced to perform job related functions in a drugged-up stupor, contrary to all OSHA regulation. Better?

Latest resources

Back