• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Shouldn't I PFT!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To parrott enigma; it hurts the profession and reduces wages.

Los said " My last chance is if I can PFT my way into the industry and start generating some income..." which is contradictory. If this job is for a required pilot, then the operator MUST have a warm body for that seat. If he wants to operate his airplane he must hire a pilot. Pilots get paid money. Sooo, why on earth would you take away a paying pilot job, while also paying said operator for the "privilege" of flying? It is difficult to negotiate a fair market wage when some people are willing to pay to work (that's about ten steps worse than slavery!!)

Your specific training on this aircraft is a price of doing business that the operator should pay. Investing money in your training to be more competitive, e.g. type rating and all ratings so far, are not PFT. Paying FSI for a type rating as a condition of employment could be seen as a gray area, while paying Jimbo to learn ya' about a King Air 90 is shady and should be avoided.

Unfortunately, there will be plenty of scum to fill those seats. I wish that a protest against PFT would make a difference, but am realistic enough to know it won't.

On the other hand, PFT does give us a good indicator of who will be the future scabs. The ones who will step on their brother's back to further their career.

DCitrus9 said:
Unfortunately, there will be plenty of scum to fill those seats. I wish that a protest against PFT would make a difference, but am realistic enough to know it won't.

On the other hand, PFT does give us a good indicator of who will be the future scabs. The ones who will step on their brother's back to further their career.

Once again, I will take issue with this since I had many friends PFT to get hired by a regional. All were helo pilots with several thousands of hours of flight time, however, the airlines would not hire them unless either they went out and buzzed around in a Cessna for a thousand hours or they PFT'ed. Easy choice for them. They had the hours, the experience, and they had "paid their dues", yet the system was against them, therefore, they improvised, adapted, and overcame.

PFT

"Before passing judgement consider the two facts below and ask yourself (honestly) would you do it if you had the money to spare."

Honestly....I wouldn't have done it. Bobby will tell you the same thing. I think those that do PFT (Gulfstream and TAB style) either are uneducated about the possible results or just don't care. In spite of that, it's your decision to make. All of the Continential pilots at the Gulfstream website who recommend the program are scabs. Does that bother anyone?

DCitrus9, that has got to be the most idiotic logic I have ever heard. A PFTer in SOME ways, POSSIBLY, has bought some portion of his or her interview, granted, but to say they will SCAB because they PFT'ed is outright STUPID.

I know ex-PFTers at SEVERAL airlines, and they ALL are staunch Union supporters. Every single one of them. Even the ones who are at non-union airlines.

I would say they fit my description perfectly. They decided to hurt everyone else to help themselvese. All for the sake of a shortcut.
Because really, who needs that fixed wing time anyway? I have 1000 hours of hot air ballon time, just hire me straight into the jet! I don't care how much helo time you've got, with only a couple hundred hours of fixed wing time you are still a newbie.

DCitrus9, first off, I did not PFT, nor am I going too, but NOT because I have a problem with PFT, I do not.

OK, now for conversation, asside from the fact that PFT is in some ways, POSSIBLY buying an interview, please explain to me how it HAS hurt the industry, NOT how it COULD hurt the industry. Because up untill now, I don't see how it has affected it in ANY WAY. PFT at airlines was around WAY before programs like eaglejet, gulfstream, and the mesa pace thing ever existed.

I'm willing to listen to your side of the argument, as long as it is civil.

46Driver said:
Once again, I will take issue with this since I had many friends PFT to get hired by a regional. All were helo pilots with several thousands of hours of flight time, however, the airlines would not hire them unless either they went out and buzzed around in a Cessna for a thousand hours or they PFT'ed. Easy choice for them. They had the hours, the experience, and they had "paid their dues", yet the system was against them, therefore, they improvised, adapted, and overcame.

I thought we buried this "they had already paid there dues so PFT was OK crap" a couple of years ago. You seem to indicate that PFT was just another way to "imporvise, adapt and overcome". Well that's a bunch of horse hockey. I don't make any excuse for the prejudice against rotorheads, but to PFT as a way to overcome the prejudice was not benificial to the profession. The best pilot I ever shared a cockpit with was a retired Naval Officer rotorhead. He too, couldn't go straight from the service to AA, but he didn't buy an F-ing job. He took a job and got himself up to the qualifications necessary to get a better job. (then he quit and started flying a Jetranger in the desert because he really didn't want to fly a bus for eight legs a day. :) )

Are your buddies that PFT'd proud to have acquired a job based upon the size of their checkbook?

How many of the guys that did the mil. helo to PFT airline thing are currently flying at a major airline? What percentage would you say that number is?

enigma

Why I refused to P-F-T

Los said:
BobbySamD is man whose comment I respect. However when I think about how he did everything he could, ratings, cfi-ing, networking and pounding the pavement to no avail. Yet I have met airline pilots who I would consider to be half as knowledgeable as Bobby yet they have jobs because they were willing to PFT. I must conclude that if Bobby would have PFT he would be a Capt on the line imparting his knowledge to FO (future Capts) rather leaving it in the vacuum of this space. This coupled with the recent capital I have gained puts me in
a dilema.

Don't mistake me I am glad you are here Bobby but I desire to fly so much that I would like to give it one last shot before walking away, and PFT may be my last ditch effort.
First off, thanks for your kind comments and for taking the time to read my posts. I'll come to the point about why I refused to entertain P-F-T.

P-F-T boils down to being an employment issue. Nothing more, nothing less. P-F-Ting starts off your relationship with your new employer on the wrong foot - for you. P-F-T shows that you are willing to accept less than fair treatment from your P-F-T employer; that you are willing to bend over and take it up the ass. He sees that you have that willingness because you have already shown that you are willing to buy the job. That is absolutely, positively not the proper relationship to establish with an employer.

And, sorry, although being a pilot is a great job which still carries a certain amount of prestige (I know some people here will argue), the long and short of it is that piloting is still just a job. Just because you are a pilot does not mean that you are less-deserving of proper treatment. By P-F-Ting you show that you are willing to put up with less than proper treatment.

One learns to appreciate fair treatment from an employer after being in the workforce for years and suffering through periods of unfair employer treatment. I do not believe that fair employee treatment accrues from P-F-T. And that is basically why I would not P-F-T. I have raised issues about fraud and bad faith potential, training conflicts of interest, and blackball potential elsewhere.

I second C77MD80's comments in their entirety. I urge you to read them carefully. He establishes a prima facie case about blackball potential.

Last edited:
aview1 said:

please explain to me how it HAS hurt the industry, NOT how it COULD hurt the industry.

Simple economics my friend. When a manager is offered a resource at below market rates, the market rates go down until the supplier increases his rates. By PFT'ing, your buddies were driving industry wide wages down. If you don't believe that, ask a UAL Captain if he has taken a pay cut lately. If pay rates were not low becase of people willing to work for nothing, the carriers would have had to cut something other than pilot wages.

Now for the proof. I witnessed it first hand at Mesa in 1992. We had an unofficial inhouse association (union). The pilot reps would meet with Larry (Risley, the owner), Grady (Reed, the VP of flight ops) and Johnny O (Ornstein, the finance guy) in order to attempt to improve our circumstances. The answer always came back the same, "Gentlemen, we have a stack of resumes five feet thick from people who are willing to pay us for a job, you're lucky we keep you at all. No way you're getting a raise."
I put that in quotes, but it's a paraphrase. To Larry's credit, I don't think that they ever took a PFT'rs money in even exchange for a job. But they dang sure did keep our pay low. I ended up quiting because they were about to upgrade me and I couldn't afford to move so that I could be a LAX based 1900 Captain for 1600 bucks a month. (less than I was making as a senior Brasilia FO in a real cheap cost of living base)

enigma

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back