Why people go to ERAU or UND?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pugh said:
Oh cool so you acutally get to learn to fly the plane in the air? Man I've been missin' out ;)

HAHA! Very funny! :p

And, 40 hours to solo! Oh dear gawd, those are the ones that drove me to drink, well drink even more anyway.! :cool:

This is only my opinion.

I think 50 hours is way too much for Private Pilot training. Not bashing those who take more time to do it, just saying UND/ERAU shouldn't be held out as big shiny expensive schools because people don't buckle down and do the work necessary to get through the courses. I realize it sometimes takes more for some to "get it" but 10 hours more as an AVERAGE is a lot considering the number of students that get through in 40 or 42 hours.

Just to put in perspective.

http://www.tradewind-aviation.com/tai/private_pilot.cfm

This is a flight school, part 61, near where I live. 30K for everything through MEI in a C172 and a PA44. No college degree, no job instructing afterwards and you have to finance it yourself.

Last edited:
I got my private from a decent FBO in Dallas in just over 2 weeks 35 hours on the nose....9 hours to solo, man that was a blistering pace. As far as school goes if I could do it all over again I would have gotten my CFI's from that nice little FBO and gone to community college for the first 2 years (off set some of those flight training loans) and then gone to a local DFW college/university to finish off my degree while instructing.

Now what I did varies a fuzz; went to college for 1 year before realizing I wanted to be a pilot. I transfered to a near by, but out of state university that had an aviation program. I am paying a little more but I do get in state tuition and get the beloved college experience. I am currently about to earn my teaching ticket and instruct for the remainder of college (1 1/2 years) until I graduate. I hope to graduate meeting 135 mins.

FlyingToIST said:
This is not a flame bait.. I am just trtying to understand why people would go to a very expensive university, get under a lot of debt and then end up CFI'ing no matter what..

I am a flight school owner and recently I had a conversation with a guy who was going to ERAU. I told him that it will cost him many more $$$$ to get his license.. He said he liked the structured environment of a university. When I told him that our program is not too bad and it will cost him half the money if he came to us, he just basically shrugged it off.

Is it the image, or just the promisses of guranteed interviews at the low times ?
What is it that makes you go to these schools?

Thanks..

People think ERAU is the 'ivy league' of aviation

I don't know how you can say 50 hours is too much.

50 hours is probably a better number than the bare minimum of 40...the extra experience may be worthwhile to a lot of people.

I finished at 40-42.

The thing is I really don't mind where people got their flying experience from...what matters is the individual and how they come out of that experience. Whether you went to a Mom and Pop 61 or UND, if you turn out to be arrogant, rude and generally a poor pilot you will get no repspect either way. A blanket statement like "Man I hate those UND/ERAU guys" IMO is ignorant. One of the most important things about choosing a college/flight school is finding one which fits you the best.

gkrangers said:
I don't know how you can say 50 hours is too much.

50 hours is probably a better number than the bare minimum of 40...the extra experience may be worthwhile to a lot of people.

I finished at 40-42.

You're misunderstanding what Im saying, and I didnt say it very well. Im saying in a place like UND or ERAU there really is no reason to go over 40 hours to get your private, there are simply too many resources available, easily and readily available, that most 61 schools just cant afford to have. With all those tools at the students disposal the MAJORITY that go well over the course mins are the ones that just don't care and mom and pop are footing the bill. This drives the course averages up and gives UND the label of being a high priced school when in reality it is fairly close to the same price as doing your training at most other places. But since UND has a shred of business ethics they publish average course times and not minimum course times (thus costs) to present a more realistic picture.

Now does going over course mins make you a slacker, of course not, its an individual student thing. From my 2+ years of instructing there and doing all stage checks through CFII progs, and CFI progs, the majority that came for a check with minimum time where the sharp ones, ie prepared, where as the majority with 10+ hours of "extra" time were the weaker ones.

One concept I hope you can get out of your mind before long is the "more time = more experience and thus a better pilot" attitude. Its the quality of instruction and what the student does with that instruction that determines their performance, not how many times they practice steep turns only to be 200 feet off every time because they have no idea what is happening to lift and drag while in the turn.

I guess what I am saying is, UND is no more high priced than your average FBO as far as per hour training costs go. Of course you will spend more with tuition, (especially out of state), room and board, books, simulator time, etc. But in the long run I think the trainng you get and the resources you have at your disposal at UND is worth it.

ps
For you ERAU guys that come up during the summer for competitions, how hard is it to find Truck Stop, its the only parking lot on the south side of town with 800 big rigs parked in it! :eek:

I don't believe I would be with Cathay Pacific if it were not for the knowlege gained at Embry Riddle. Just little things like understanding systems, aerodynamics, or weather a little better then the next guy got me through the interview. Having an answer to a obscure question or having just a little more situational awareness beacuse of my degree proves to be invaluable on a daily basis. Was it expensive, absolutly, but I think taking four years of classes in my EXACT career field truly helped my path end up in such an awesome place. Can you be a great pilot without a 4 year degree in aeronautics, of course, I meet them everyday, but for me personally I would not change a thing.

Erau '86-'90

I graduated ERAU in 1990 out of the management program.

I took flight lessons in So. Cal. during the summer.

I chose ERAU Prescott because:

1) It was close to home (LA).
2) Far enough away from home.
3) The student/teacher ratio was about 15:1
4) At the time (late '80s) it wasn't anymore expensive than any other private college.

Is it more expensive to fly there? Yes. That's why I took lessons at home.

All said, I think I received a pretty good undergraduate education. The people in the Humanities Dept made a conscious effort to balance the highly technical and focused nature of the core curriculum in order to produce a well rounded product.

If you're just looking for flights lessons, well yeah, that's dumb. But if you're looking for an education then you'll find one...if you want it.

And that's the problem. A lot of people approach ERAU as some sort of glorified trade school.

Different strokes for different folks.
Good luck.

Latest resources

Back