• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why people go to ERAU or UND?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That would mean you averaged $90/hr if it took you 200 hours...

Just seems kinda cheap...

Last edited:
no ofeense to the good erau people, but at every NIFA meet we would try to go shoot the $hit with them guys and they would look down their nose at us. like they are god gift to aviation or something. too bad we produced this years top pilot at nationals

Kream926 said:
no ofeense to the good erau people, but at every NIFA meet we would try to go shoot the $hit with them guys and they would look down their nose at us. like they are god gift to aviation or something. too bad we produced this years top pilot at nationals
Yeah..sorry for those types...It sucks havin them around.

Those are projected costs, not course min time costs. I, like most, did the courses in minimum times and the cost per hour was cheaper 5 years ago. That is the biggest problem, people have been slacking off so much lately that the averge course completion times have gone through the roof. Look at the private pilot cousre, 50 hours!!!!! 40 hours in the reg min and most should/can do it in those times. 27.5 hours for the Multi course, good grief the place has gone to hell in a handbasket.

DC8 Flyer said:
if you want to actually learn how to FLY the airplane and operate in the enviroment check it out, and for those wimps that cant handle the cold we have satellite operations in Hawaii, Arizona, and North Carolina.

Oh cool so you acutally get to learn to fly the plane in the air? Man I've been missin' out ;)

Pugh said:
Oh cool so you acutally get to learn to fly the plane in the air? Man I've been missin' out ;)
Hey, don't knock it...Riddle does a lot of VFR stuff on the ground. Takeoffs, landings, TAXIING, steep turns, s turns, stalls, etc...

DC8 Flyer hit every nail squarely on the head. He mirrored exactly in every category what my son went through at UND. It is a relatively inexpensive 4 year public university with out of state reciprocity of tuition for students from several states, and one can get a B.A. or a B.S. in any number of fields, including aviation related fields, but not limited to that at all.

When my son was a freshman at UND, one of his roommates was from Hawaii. He had never seen ice that was not in a cocktail glass. As soon as the snow came and the wind howled, he quit and went home. It does take some perseverance when you hail from warmer climates. But, my son grew up in Minnesota, and was totally acclimated to bad and cold weather six months of the year.

The school has a modern fleet with lots of modern sims. There is a distinct absence of “low-life” going to school there. He always said that the harsh winters tended to get rid of the riffraff.

Just like DC8 Flyer, when he got his degree after 4 years, he went to work for UND as an instructor, and in 2-1/2 years, he had 1300/250 and was hired at Comair in 1997. As I remember, his W-2 form while on staff at UND was around $24,000 a year…..more than he made as a rookie FO at Comair in 1997. He’s been a captain there since July of 2000, and has an income now that is quite respectable. His getting through college was a family effort just as if he’d gone to any other college in any other field. He worked at summer jobs, took part time work as a waiter in a Mexican restaurant during the school year, and his parents saved enough before he even left high school to allow his college costs to be paid in full by the time he graduated, and he had zero college loans to pay off. That would have been our goal if he’d wanted to be an accountant or an electrical engineer.

Flyingtoist. Gotta understand high school guidance counselors are largely morons, some kid asks about flying and they look at what they know- 4 year well advertised universities and bingo it is off to a big shiny school. Also if the kids high school sends a large percentage off to college then there is quite a bit of peer pressure to do the 'normal thing' ie attending a 4 yr school.

Latest resources

Back