Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why isn't there a union for the Regionals??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flythere

Maybe some genius has already thought of this, but why isn't there a Union that represents the regionals?? 110 seats or less, a union that looks out for the little guys??

You could call it RAPA, Regional Airlines Pilots Association. I'm sure someone has already thought of this, so why has it not worked??

just curious??

Well, there are a couple problems with that...

First off, 110 seats or less? That is nationwide mainline narrowbody feed! That is not "regional" flying! That is "outsourced" flying and nothing else. CRJs flying 3-4 hour flights between major cities and major hubs is not regional by any sense of the word.

Secondly, it is in EVERYONE's best interest for the regionals to not survive, much less expand. We need these passengers flying on mainline birds.

The only way a regional airline union would work is if it managed to get regional pay up so much that it would be no longer cost effective for regionals to exist. Maybe that is what needs to happen, now that I think of it.

Rjdc

Joust ask Joe Merchant about this one! This tool will go on and on about what ALPA does wrong, but he is stangely silent about what the RJDC is doing for anyone!

Because 1.95% of a regional salary isn't going to do much. At least the regionals (arguably) have a voice in ALPA, if a regional union was created I have to think we wouldn't stand a chance against a better funded mainline union.

First off, 110 seats or less? That is nationwide mainline narrowbody feed! That is not "regional" flying! That is "outsourced" flying and nothing else. CRJs flying 3-4 hour flights between major cities and major hubs is not regional by any sense of the word.

Man I thought we did long hauls going from Charlotte out to N.W. Arkansas or up to New England or Canada. I'm curious who is flying the RJs on 4 hour runs.

It's hard to make a living flying the RJs on little 17 minute hops all day which we do plenty of. Sometimes I wish I were in a little 1900 or smaller just for the added time.

Last edited:
Man I thought we did long hauls going from Charlotte out to N.W. Arkansas or up to New England or Canada. I'm curious who is flying the RJs on 4 hour runs.

It's hard to make a living flying the RJs on little 17 minute hops all day which we do plenty of. Sometimes I wish I were in a little 1900 or smaller just for the added time.

Comair has a ton we even have a 4:40 JFK - AUS. they suck..

Comair has a ton we even have a 4:40 JFK - AUS. they suck..

No to menton the STL-JFK's. 2.5 hours.
CVG-HOU or CVG- MIA...in a 50 seater....all which mainline should be doing.

We shouldn't be doing anything more than 90 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back