Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why isn't there a union for the Regionals??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas RT,

You are certainly correct. The IBT has the big guns, big connections and big money to make it happen.

There is no way on Spaghetti's green earth that the IBT could pull this off with in-house "talent." I'd cite the fact that they haven't even tried yet as proof positive.

Man I thought we did long hauls going from Charlotte out to N.W. Arkansas or up to New England or Canada. I'm curious who is flying the RJs on 4 hour runs.

I seem to remember expressjet doing Toronto to Houston?..Isnt that over 4 hrs??? Yikes!!!...Pass the gin & tonic for that ride!!! Better yet just get the tow bar and smash my skull in!....

Heyas RT,

You are certainly correct. The IBT has the big guns, big connections and big money to make it happen.

Imagine the power you could bring to bear on an airline when you say "not going to bagain? No problemo, but looks like all your parts, food and other deliveries are going to be a little late". Imagine replacement engines or parts getting "lost" in transit.

But as always, the pilots are their own worst enemy by considering themselves "white collar" and above the garden variety "truckers". While truckers know the value of supporting each other, how many pilots (other than mabye UPS guys) do you know that would consider going out on strike to support the truck drivers?

But, by the same token, pilots are very hands on, and they don't like having shots called by non-pilots from some head office somewhere. The IBT is too gigantic and rigid of an organization to provide any flexibility like this. That, and the failure to adapt to the RLA (versis the NLRA), resulted in the IBT representation of pilots and flight attendants having had mixed results at best.

It is this failure of "the meeting of the minds" that has led to no viable alternative to ALPA. Besides, both are AFL-CIO unions, and they have a no-poaching rule. The FA's at NWA had to wait it out two years with an independent union after they ditched the IBT before they could vote the AFA in.

Nu

You seem to have the right idea! Too bad the IBT couldn't have pulled it off! Your description of us pilots seems to right on the money, even though I hate to admit it!!!

Thanks for the input!!!

Secondly, it is in EVERYONE's best interest for the regionals to not survive, much less expand. We need these passengers flying on mainline birds.

Nope, just the pilots'.

No to menton the STL-JFK's. 2.5 hours.
CVG-HOU or CVG- MIA...in a 50 seater....all which mainline should be doing.

We shouldn't be doing anything more than 90 minutes.

Why? Because you said so? Because that's the way it was done in the past, so we should always do it that way? The airlines wouldn't be doing it this way if there wasn't money to be made.

I have a valid question.

Delta flies a MD-8* or something from central florida to Cinnci. So does Comair. Do the pax same price for the ticket? Or is it cheaper because they are flying on a regional?

I am looking for real answers not jokes or spam.
Take care

Besides, both are AFL-CIO unions, and they have a no-poaching rule.

The IBT is no longer affiliated with the AFL-CIO. Haven't been in a couple of years. They left and stiffed the Federation for millions of dollars of dues that they still haven't paid back.

I have a valid question.

Delta flies a MD-8* or something from central florida to Cinnci. So does Comair. Do the pax same price for the ticket? Or is it cheaper because they are flying on a regional?

I am looking for real answers not jokes or spam.
Take care

The short answer: Yes.

The long answer: Depends.

Airline seats are sold in "buckets", which are a certain number of seats sold a certain time before the flight for a certain price. Depending on the city-pair (business or recreation orientation) the buckets vary...in size, price, and timing.

If the mainline a/c is being used as the "primary" bucket provider for the city-pair, the RJ, with it's fewer/smaller buckets is an add-on to either augment lift, or to provide a sync'd feed for a bank of flying in/out of the hub.

If the RJ is the optimized lift provider, the mainline jet is used to provide larger buckets at certain times-of-day.

The wonks in the Marketing Department live and die by their ability to calculate optimized buckets for each city-pair.

If there is a lot of competition on the city-pair, some buckets are used as "tags" to lure pax bound for destinations beyond the hub.

In most cases, the ticket price is the same...but the pricing model stopped being predictable in 1978.

A Regional Pilots association?

It'd be fun to watch!

If you think the demographics and priorities of mainline pilots are problematic...you'd see a real conflict between the "moving's" and "staying's" at the regional level.

I seem to remember expressjet doing Toronto to Houston?..Isnt that over 4 hrs??? Yikes!!!...Pass the gin & tonic for that ride!!! Better yet just get the tow bar and smash my skull in!....

Yup, I used to do it all the time in an XR. My pairing on day four would be YYZ-IAH, IAH-YYZ, YYZ-CLE. On those two legs to/from YYZ, we found "studying" was the best method to combat boredom. One time we were going from YYZ-IAH and had to divert to Tyler, TX for fuel after our routing got fooled with due to weather. Definetely not a regional airline route.

CM

Latest resources

Back