Why is SKW getting rid of the CMR planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jetflyer said:
MANY ASA PILOTS think dragging out their negotiations and being kept FROZEN at their current rates might be in their best interests for the long term. What do you call this?

I can't believe they're looking out for their best interests so they won't SHRINK and can still get future aircraft!? The nerve! Unbelievable!

Sometimes I feel like some ASA pilots will only be happy if Comair is dismantled and all of Comair's planes go to ASA. Then they'll finally "THANK COMAIR FOR EVERYTHING THEY'VE DONE FOR THE INDUSTRY".

I was serious,
Jet
Jet, your whining is really going over the top. If you have 5,000 hours, I doubt you will ever see a furlough notice. My friends at Comair are not nearly as worried as you are because they know Comair is not going anywhere. As long as Delta has a CVG operation they need Comair. Comair's costs are low and were not significantly effected by your concessions. Your concessions were political - and it was sucessful. Your concessions broke up the alliance between two of the largest Delta Connection pilot groups.

Comair grew into flying that had been performed by ACA pilots, Delta pilots, ASA pilots and others. With the exception of a few Delta pilots, you did not see us whining on this board despite the fact that a third of C Concourse in ATL was lined up with CMR jets. To this day, I think Comair still has more junior Captains than ASA has.

ASA pilots do not allocate the flying, so I don't know why your whining to us. Go scream at Mesa, Gerald Grinstien, or Duane Woerth. Thanks to your union not allowing any of us to have scope we have a competitive race to the bottom.

BUT - our pay is so low that the cost per hour is negligible when compared to the cost of operating the airplane and fuel. No airline is going to allocate airplanes based on $4 an hour. Just as Jerry Atkin told our pilots who are worried that SkyWest will replace us - "The airplanes will go where there is operational need for the airplanes."

Proof of this can be found in the fact that ASA turned down concessions (when Barnette asked us to come out of section 6 negotiations) yet we still got the airplanes.

After your pilot groups little bit of predatory bargaining to scope some growth at the expense of ASA, you dare to come here and whine when it did not work out? You say you are serious, but what you write is so silly that it has to be flame bait. If it is not flame bait you need to realize that predatory bargaining never works out. There is always another pilot group willing to stab you in the back - after all you stabbed them first. ALPA National has a duty to stop this crap, but has forgot everything they learned about alter ego bargaining.

In the mean time, ASA pilots have done nothing. We have not had a TA presented to us for a vote. We have picketed and are going to picket again this weekend. If you would like to come down to the Great Georgia Airshow in Peachtree City we will gladly get you in a rotation, feed you and say thanks for your support. And the SkyWest pilots voted "NO!" - with a pretty good margin. So Comair Pilots are the only pilots included in your complaints that have voted for concessions for airplanes. Make no mistake about it, you were voting for growth airplanes, with your pay contingent on certain fleet targets.

Along those lines, you will be glad to know that ASA's contract effort appears to be moving along better now that SkyWest owns us. There has been a house cleaning over at our General Offices which has removed many of the road blocks in our effort to reach an agreement.

So use that PIC time you gained at CMR to fill out applications, or if you did not upgrade in 5,000 hours after your instructing gig, try to get in an upgrade class fast. Either way you should have your head in the books, not on Flight Info.

~~~^~~/~ (Fins with the knife in his back)

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
So Comair Pilots and the Delta boys are the only pilots included in your complaints that have voted for concessions for airplanes.

When did the Delta pilots ever vote for concessions for airplanes? We took concessions a year ago, yes, but it sure wasn't in return for any airplanes.

MANY ASA PILOTS think dragging out their negotiations and being kept FROZEN at their current rates might be in their best interests for the long term. What do you call this?

Can you deny SOME ASA pilots are saying this? I don't think so. I know you've heard ASA pilots say they think delaying their contract until it's a better environment to negotiate is in their best interests.

These pilots don't want to be passed over for growth and don't want to have their assets taken away from them because of high labor costs.

It's horrible they're worried about losing aircraft by increasing their pay! Unbelievable! Why aren't these ASA PILOTS thinking of other pilot groups first!!!!!!!!!!!!??

I've been hearing this from ASA pilots for years. You've probably said yourself a time or too.

To me these ASA pilots are more than willing to keep their PAY FREEZE enacted until there are better times for Delta.

Our LABOR COSTS at Comair are still the highest in the Delta system. SORRY WE GET PAID MORE THAN YOU.

ARE YOU JEALOUS?? Is that why you whine so much ~~^^~^~~&~ or whatever the hell your name is!?

Oh and you're WRONG about our pay freeze. We were worried about getting liquidated FIRST AND FOREMOST.

EVERYONE was worried about what would happen to us if we voted "NO". EVERYONE at COMAIR.

Why do you think many, many senior Captains voted YES. They didn't want a pay freeze. They didn't care about growth aircraft. They were worried about the future of Comair. Things looked VERY, VERY BLEAK with a "NO" vote.

You're all too MORONIC TO COMPREHEND. THAT'S OK, WE FEEL FOR YOU.

There was a real threat of many of us losing jobs and maybe being liquidated. Everyone was talking about this at Comair. EVERYONE.

YOU AND EVERY OTHER PILOT GROUP ARE MORONS IF YOU DON'T SEE THAT WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT LOSING JOBS BY VOTING "NO".

You've never had the TARGET ON YOUR BACKS. YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND. GET SOME BALLS AND MAYBE ONE DAY YOU WILL, BUT I DOUBT IT.

Well our labor costs ARE STILL THE HIGHEST and we're still getting sold off plane by plane. Where will it stop? Nobody knows. Plus my job is in jeopardy. I flew freight before coming to Comair and I don't have PIC turbine time.

Jet

Last edited:
JetFlyer, you are retarded.

These pilots don't want to be passed over for growth and don't want to have their assets taken away from them because of high labor costs.

EVERYONE was worried about what would happen to us if we voted "NO". EVERYONE at COMAIR.

What's the difference?

You say comair took a pay freeze because "EVERYONE was worried about what would happen to us if we voted no" and now you are shouting out that ASA should stop worrying about being "passed over for growth", demand a pay raise or strike!

A couple of things: (1) I do NOT want anyone to lose a job! Not you, or any other pilot...not even the janitor! I do NOT want anyone to take a pay cut...pay cuts hurt (no matter how much you earn).

(2) We have not had a vote at ASA...I have not agreed to work for less (or more) and I have not had the option to vote for a strike. In fact, I just got a letter saying a strike was not even a legal option right now.

(3) I had no control over skywest buying ASA. The skywest pilots had no control over it either. I do not think skywest bought ASA because we are better or cheaper or any reason like that. I think they bought ASA because they wanted Atlanta!

I think Comair is catching a bad deal. Honestly, I was worried when there was talk of selling us. We didn't know what to expect. At the time, we thought Comair was getting a better deal and it was going to be bad for us. We didn't know (and still don't) how things were going to to play out.

Again, I am sorry if ANYONE loses a job.

michael707767 said:
When did the Delta pilots ever vote for concessions for airplanes? We took concessions a year ago, yes, but it sure wasn't in return for any airplanes.
True - a bad choice of words on my part. Comair was the only airline that voted in concessions for growth airplanes.

Jetfighter, I know your concerned and waiting on pins and needles for our bomb to drop, just as we are - but please don't speak for EVERYONE at Comair, because not EVERYONE was worried about what a NO vote would do. We voted no just as we did for our latest contract, because we (my family), knew that management was full of sh*t. We got stabbed in the back by our MEC and used by managements "games". They we never going to fold the company if we didn't agree to the cuts. It was nothing more than liberal scare tactics. Knowing what was going on in the industry, did you honestly think we were going to be getting some "pretty" new airplanes with 1st class once we voted yes? Sorry, if I sound like a cynic, but we've been around for much longer than planned and this is no longer the family business we got hired on to. I do believe Fred has our best interest, however he is nothing more than a puppet for Delta.

And..... since I am on a soap box.... To all of these idiots out there that claim that ANY pilot group would somehow be happy to see another fall is insane!!!
GROW UP and show the intelligance I know is in you. Your claims come from nothing more than rumors or the rambling words of one, that doesnt speak for all. Divide and conquer. Score another for managements.

By the way, my husband is the pilot, I'm just a crazy wife that knows that this is more than just a job... It's a family career

bvt1151 said:
I appreciate the sentiment, but will you refuse the 40 aircraft coming from Comair?
BVD's,
Newsflash, we gots two choices, 1 come to work, 2 don't come to work. You keep gettin' real pissed at pilots, airline managment is the group who deserves your wrath. My choices are limited to line choice and do I go to work or not. Do I want your job?, NOPE, am I sad at the B/S that is going on in the industry, you bet! What can I do? Very little, I will be fired before flying struck work, will I quit before flying a x-cmr serial number a/c, nope I cannot afford that. Unfortunately I believe you are being punished by mother DAL for your strike in years past and these are the start of crappy things to come(truly sorry for you). The current administration is your worst enemy, GWB and frank lorenzo enabled your demise and will allow far more to happen now that the US Supreme court is stacked, Roberts is only 50 if he stays on the court for 30 years that should cover your career to it's conclusion. Every pilot that voted for GWB is getting exactly what they voted for, GWB and long time family friend and advisor frank lorenzo. Enjoy your bed you made it now you gotta sleep in it.
PBR

jetflyer said:
Several ASA pilots have told me they really don't think it's in their best interests to get a "pay raise" or definitely not to "strike" because they think it will leave them exposed to LOSING AIRCRAFT or NOT GETTING FUTURE AIRCRAFT.

I can't believe they're looking out for their best interests so they won't SHRINK and can still get future aircraft!? The nerve! Unbelievable!

Sometimes I feel like some ASA pilots will only be happy if Comair is dismantled and all of Comair's planes go to ASA. Then they'll finally "THANK COMAIR FOR EVERYTHING THEY'VE DONE FOR THE INDUSTRY".

I was serious,
Jet

What exactly is "many" to you? And uh nobody owes you sh1t, you caved in for growth and then got butt-f6cked for doing it, what does anyone owe you? you really believe that we wanted to be in negotiations for 3 years? your contract was pre 9/11, ours is post 9/11. you might want to place the blame where it belongs, although at your airline I don't know which is worse, your management or your alpa reps.

PBRstreetgang said:
BVD's,
Newsflash, we gots two choices, 1 come to work, 2 don't come to work.
PBR

This is exactly the defeatist attitude I'm concerned about. What future do we have as a profession if we're willing to allow managements to fire 400 pilots just so they can hire 400 new, and lower paid pilots? To say this is a cycle isn't quite accurate, because it assumes a circular pattern with our interests having an advantage at some point, but in this instance managements have all the advantage. They can keep furloughing and replacing pilots to fly the exact same aircraft, unless somebody steps in and breaks the cycle by refusing to allow this to happen. I assure you that the pilot group taking the losses is not the group with the ability to stand up. Congrats to the Skywest pilots for voting down this contract. Don't let them dangle 400 of Comair's jobs in front of you to get you to sign the next one.

On the other hand, you always have the right to protect your jobs. I don't see how anyone could fault the Skywest pilots for accepting 40 of Comair's aircraft resulting in zero growth.

Latest resources

Back