• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

why is mesa trying to hire 200 next month

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yep, and some of those new dash guys/gals are from the wholly-owned dash operators. FOs who would otherwise be years upgrading where they're at, come straight to the left seat at mesa.

Too much flying and not enough pilots...or airplanes for that matter. They are TDY'ing ERJ's to JFK to cover dash flying that we don't even have airplanes for yet... This is going to get very very entertaining...

Mesa getting 200 pilots through Dash 8 training in the next two years would be a miracle. Not to long ago Mesa's Dash 8 classes had a 75% failure rate, highest in the industry. Any one that whats that Street PIC on the Dash better bring it.

Pilot754,

Just curious. What was your lead time from submitting an app to getting the interview. I have two recomendations from two current FO's. Starting to get frustrated with instructing ready to move on. Have five out of 10 students all learning landings right now. Averaging 50 some trips in the pattern per day. Plus the thermometer stays peg on about 100F in the cockpit.

joepilot29 said:
Pilot754,

Just curious. What was your lead time from submitting an app to getting the interview. I have two recomendations from two current FO's. Starting to get frustrated with instructing ready to move on. Have five out of 10 students all learning landings right now. Averaging 50 some trips in the pattern per day. Plus the thermometer stays peg on about 100F in the cockpit.

Oh, never mind.:rolleyes:

Mesa did something like this several years ago (97-98). They hired over 100 pilots in a short period of time. It was no problem putting them all through ground school but there was a huge bottleneck in flight training so many of them were furloughed while they waited to start flight training.

It's agaginst TSA regulations to sleep in an A/c parked at a gate overnight. It they towed you to and FBO then that's fine but not on the airline ramp.

bustinmins said:
I have slept on the airplane during a stand-up but it wasn't scheduled that way. Hotels were on my schedule. In my situation, we arrived late due to weather and thus I was looking at reduced nap time. I slept in the aircraft to get more sleep. However, there have been some trips that were planned with a 3 hour layover in some place like BIL. The terminal shut down and everyone went home except the crews. They stayed on the plane. I have heard of this happening with our PHX crews. I haven't heard about it from any other domicile. The BIL trip that I heard about had a failed APU in the winter. No Hotel etc. It wasn't pretty. I believe the union crawled all over them for this and they have removed these types of pairings. I could be wrong - I am ORD based these days.

The good news is that Mesa is learning that abuse of your crews does equal recruiting issues. I know the Mesa pilots are tired of the abuse but at present have tied hands. We stand ready for an improved quality of life and sooner or later - MGT will get the big picture. No One Wants To Work Here!

Oh no . . .these "camping trips" are very, very much alive and well in the PHX system. Anything under 4 hours and you don't get a hotel. And yeah, the typical trip is scheduled to start at 1800 and duty off around 0700, 4 legs is the standard, with the 2-4 hour sit after the third leg.

Well, that acutally changed recently; now 2-4 hours gets you a hotel, but since you have to show 45 min prior to departure, go through security, ride to/from the hotel, it's not very practical. 30 minutes in the hotel, or 3 hours in the back of the airplane? . . . the choice seems obvious.

Actually, even THESE trips wouldn't be too bad, if they just kept all the "camping trips" on a single awarded line. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to have a day shift, a couple of camping trips, then a regualr night shift (off by 0200). Pretty brutal, if you ask me. I avoid these lines like the plague.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back